As you all know, Apple is offering U2’s upcoming album ‘Songs of Innocence’ for free to their customers via iTunes. It was reported on Tuesday that Apple paid an unknown amount of money to the group in order to do so. According to Time, there are approximately 500 million iTunes users and the offer is redeemable by all customers. U2’s frontman, Bono stated:

We were paid. I don't believe in free music. Music is a sacrament.
    Apparently, Bono chit chatted with Jony Ive at the Flint enter along with new Apple employee Marc Newson, and Bono refers to themselves as the ‘three amigos.’ U2 performed at the event on Tuesday after Tim Cook’s popular ‘one more thing’ act. It has been reported by The Wall Street Journal that Apple will also be using the rock group’s single ‘The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), which was played at the event on Tuesday, for the company’s iPhone 6 and Apple Watch commercials reportedly for $100 million.

Source: Time, WSJ

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-09-10 07:22 AM
    The biggest waste of $100M ever!
    2014-09-10 09:48 AM
    The biggest waste of $100M ever!
    Weird I cant seem to figure out HOW to get the album downloaded? It shows up as purchased on the itunes store but I cannot see it in my library
    2014-09-10 12:30 PM
    100 million for this washed up old band from the UK Apple what were you thinking
    2014-09-10 01:32 PM
    Of course they were paid! Sure it's good publiicity, but when you're talking about 500 million potential free downloads, that's millions or billions of missed album sales dollars!

I heard a radio show this morning complaining about Apple "forcing customers to download the album" because they read on some tweet that Apple is making people put it on their phones! Either those guys are total idiots or paid shills to try to smear what is really a very nice gesture and freebie to all iTunes customers.
    2014-09-10 02:17 PM
    I'd rather that Apple just put $10 credit into my iTunes account instead of the free album.
    2014-09-10 03:09 PM
    What a joke. Seriously, I wouldn't listen to this album if you paid me. Also curious how many people turned off the live stream yesterday as soon as U2 stepped on the stage.
    2014-09-10 03:18 PM
    Can I return it for iTunes credit?
    2014-09-10 03:21 PM
    100 million for this washed up old band from the UK Apple what were you thinking
    Firstly there an Irish band"oh from Ireland",washed up is a bit harsh!!and in my opinion they've been around a lot longer than some of these one hit wonders you see nowadays.
    2014-09-10 03:35 PM
    What a joke. Seriously, I wouldn't listen to this album if you paid me. Also curious how many people turned off the live stream yesterday as soon as U2 stepped on the stage.
    You are an idiot.
    2014-09-10 03:59 PM
    My hell it is free for fux sake. If you don't want it that is fine, don't listen to it. Why are people making a big deal about this?
    2014-09-10 04:10 PM
    Weird I cant seem to figure out HOW to get the album downloaded? It shows up as purchased on the itunes store but I cannot see it in my library

Go to your purchased page in the Itunes store main page and you should see the album. Hit the download button bottom right hand corner.
    2014-09-10 04:35 PM
    Free is free. I'll take it. I think this is just a clever way for Apple to get more people signed up on iTunes so when Apple Pay launches it's likely more people will use it.
    2014-09-10 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD