Look what Mark Zuckerberg started.

As the headlines -- exaggerated or otherwise -- continue to reflect the growing spread of the deadly Ebola virus, Apple is facing enormous pressure today to lend a hand to the growing fight against the nefarious disease's spread.

On Tuesday, Facebook's CEO and his wife Priscilla Chan announced a $25 million donation to the Center for Disease Control Foundation.

“The Ebola epidemic is at a critical turning point,” Zuckerberg announced in an FB post. “It has infected 8,400 people so far, but it is spreading very quickly and projections suggest it could infect 1 million people or more over the next several months if not addressed.”

"We need to get Ebola under control in the near term so that it doesn’t spread further and become a long term global health crisis that we end up fighting for decades at large scale, like HIV or polio," he adds.

Although Zuckerberg, the CDC, and others haven't publicly called out Apple to step up and help as well, the growing feeling among large, multinational corporations is that coughing up some cash to fight Ebola may be the responsible thing to do.

For now, no comment from Apple on the issue at hand.
    2014-10-15 07:35 PM
    Money is worthless without doctors. That's the big issue. I think if we could throw money at Ebola and it would go away, the problem would already be solved. I'm not saying anything against those that give money, in fact I applaud them, but what we really need are those who are willing to do the work themselves.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-15 08:00 PM
    ^^I agree. What does the $$ really do? Many doctors donate their time for efforts like this when going over seas etc. I don't think money is the end all be all either. Great that people are willing to give but it will not cure Ebola.
    2014-10-15 08:06 PM
    No. They should not be forced or feel obligated to do it. If they do lovely, but there should be no pressure.
    2014-10-15 08:07 PM
    "The growing feeling among large, multinational corporations is that coughing up some cash to fight Ebola may be the responsible thing to do."

Why? This is not their problem I agree that it is nice that companies are finally caring about just themselves but lets face it. The majority does not care and honestly I am used to it, it is just not that important. And most may disagree in public, but everyone knows that when it comes it it, unless it happens to oneself its just for an image. Caring is caring without a penny.
    2014-10-15 08:13 PM
    Great jeebus Gosh, Y'all... If we were all paying attention to what we can really gleam from the news... we would know that, aside from man power and doctors needed on the front line to help the fight..... Those countries are getting screwed logistically right now..... not enough supplies, beds, quarantines, food, water coming into help.... it's only getting worse with neighboring countries closing down access to the borders.. gotta keep the whole picture in mind!... If a few rich american companies want to help, we should really atleast support their efforts! Because it's better than nothing? And i assume doctors can only really help with the proper tools and support in place
    2014-10-15 11:34 PM
    Wow can't believe how many ignorant people there are in this world, it takes money to hire/pay the ones who are working to come up with a cure, it takes money for resources to test these cures, as well as supplies for these patients (health care isn't free). Dr's don't work for free (a small handful of volunteers won't fix this). Apple needs to step up to the plate and start helping out.
    Last edited by bry2k2; 2014-10-15 at 11:54 PM.
    2014-10-15 11:51 PM
    Wow all you of are extremely ignorant, it takes money to fund more people to fund more projects to study and come up with a cure. Dr's don't work for free (a small handful of volunteers won't fix this). Apple needs to step up to the plate and start helping out.
    Honestly, your posts lately have gotten so ignorant I can't tell if you're actually against Apple or just being sarcastic.

Great jeebus Gosh, Y'all... If we were all paying attention to what we can really gleam from the news... we would know that, aside from man power and doctors needed on the front line to help the fight..... Those countries are getting screwed logistically right now..... not enough supplies, beds, quarantines, food, water coming into help.... it's only getting worse with neighboring countries closing down access to the borders.. gotta keep the whole picture in mind!... If a few rich american companies want to help, we should really atleast support their efforts! Because it's better than nothing? And i assume doctors can only really help with the proper tools and support in place
    I'm completely with you, we do need to support efforts to help Ebola. However, I don't see why it's suddenly the corporations jobs to stop it. If FB/Zuckerburg wants to donate $$, good for him! However, that really doesn't stop the Ebola spread. The US goverment has already sent hundreds of workers to build shelters and, if I remember correctly, $200,000,000 for supplies, yet no medics to help treat people. All that is useless if no doctors are sent.
    Last edited by SpiderManAPV; 2014-10-16 at 12:05 AM.

......beware......
    2014-10-15 11:53 PM
    Wow can't believe how many ignorant people there are in this world, it takes money to hire/pay the ones who are working to come up with a cure, it takes money for resources to test these cures, as well as supplies for these patients (health care isn't free). Dr's don't work for free (a small handful of volunteers won't fix this). Apple needs to step up to the plate and start helping out.
    Why just Apple, where's the much more wealthy bankers? They got a lot of free money from the country when they screwed themselves and the whole world, why didn't anyone call for their stepping up when they start to earn billions and billions every month?
    2014-10-16 01:03 AM
    Why just Apple, where's the much more wealthy bankers? They got a lot of free money from the country when they screwed themselves and the whole world, why didn't anyone call for their stepping up when they start to earn billions and billions every month?
    Because Apple goes out of its way to avoid paying for anything if they possibly can, why Apple, because they gloat so much about how much money they have and what are they doing with it.

Honestly, your posts lately have gotten so ignorant I can't tell if you're actually against Apple or just being sarcastic.

I'm completely with you, we do need to support efforts to help Ebola. However, I don't see why it's suddenly the corporations jobs to stop it. If FB/Zuckerburg wants to donate $$, good for him! However, that really doesn't stop the Ebola spread. The US goverment has already sent hundreds of workers to build shelters and, if I remember correctly, $200,000,000 for supplies, yet no medics to help treat people. All that is useless if no doctors are sent.
    Don't read if you don't like, fortunately there is no censorship against freedom of speech on the internet.
    2014-10-16 01:49 AM
    Don't read if you don't like, fortunately there is no censorship against freedom of speech on the internet.
    What?

......beware......
    2014-10-16 02:22 AM
    word... i don't disagree./.. i never stated that i believed corporations are liable for ebola, and should bare the brunt of any efforts... however if governments and the UN and world wide disease organizations are falling short? who better to ask then the general population of the wealthy? Bankers and CEOs included? im not here to single out companies or apple, just merely the fact it's been a logistical nightmare. if we had the proper supplies and places to treat and a good pay structure in place i am sure that medics would join the fight. you said it yourself, the doctors are useless with out medics. i actually agree...... but beyond that, the bigger picture needs to also include the general population outside of just those sick in each country. remember that the borders closing effectively cuts them off regular trade, and the ability to feed and house themselves in the chaos ensuing quarantines, and panic.....

" if I remember correctly, $200,000,000 for supplies, yet no medics to help treat people. All that is useless if no doctors are sent."[/QUOTE]
    2014-10-16 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD