Apple’s SVP of Design, Jony Ive, did an interview with Vanity Fair recently and the full 25-minute video was posted onto YouTube. It was a one-on-one interview with Vanity Fair’s editor Graydon Carter as the host. Different topics were discussed, including ‘copycat’ devices and the start of Apple for Ive. The interview was mainly about him and how his career started at Apple. Then he spoke about recent product releases and being interested in the history of watches.

Later after interview, Ive had a question and answer session and was questioned on how he felt in regards to China’s Xiaomi devices being so close in design to Apple’s. And this is how he responded:

I'll sound a little bit harsh, and perhaps a little bit bitter, cus I actually don't see it as flattery. I'm just talking about this issue in general — I actually see it as theft. Because when you’re doing something for the first time, for example with the phone, and you don’t know it’s going to work…and you spend 7 or 8 years working on something and then it’s copied, I have to be honest- the first thing I think isn’t ‘oh that was flattering.’” Ive said. “I think it’s really straight forward, it really is theft and it’s lazy and I don’t think it’s okay at all.
    There you have it, everyone now knows how Ive really feels about designs being copied on something one works hard on. Do you think what he said was right on point? Let us know in the comments below. Jump to 19:00 in the video above to see the question asked as well as the answer Ive gave.

Source:
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-10-19 at 07:38 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-10-19 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD