With the recent success of mobile payment system Apple Pay and the highly anticipated Apple Watch still being months away, PayPal is ahead of the game with its new app for the Pebble smartwatch. PayPal has beat Apple in incorporating a watch-based payment in retail locations with their Pebble watch app. Users who own the smartwatch will be able to pay with the device at retail locations that support it. The new app does not offer NFC-based payments.

PayPalís new app will not require a smartphone in order to be used. According to the company, users will be able to pay when checking into the store or with a payment code, which will be charged to the userís account.

With the PayPal app, Pebblers are able to check-in to pay or pay with payment code at numerous retailers, restaurants and other local businesses accepting PayPal. You can also receive payment notifications while on-the-go through our app Ė without taking out your phone.
    Apple today announced that a future development kit software will eliminate the need of a connected iPhone when running apps on the Apple Watch. So we wouldnít be surprised if Apple somehow incorporated Apple Pay into the Apple Watch, without needing a connected iPhone sometime in the future. A noticeable difference between Apple Pay and PayPalís watch-based payment system is that PayPal does not offer support for numerous credit or debit cards. The charge instead will be made to the userís PayPal account only.

The app is currently compatible with Samsungís Gear S, Gear 2, and Gear Fit watches. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: PayPal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-11-19 08:14 PM
    "The app is currently compatible with Samsungís Gear S, Gear 2, and Gear Fit watches." - However, the picture is the Pebble app. So is it compatible with Pebble or not?
    2014-11-19 08:44 PM
    If it doesn't work with NFC, how does it work?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-11-19 08:48 PM
    "The app is currently compatible with Samsungís Gear S, Gear 2, and Gear Fit watches." - However, the picture is the Pebble app. So is it compatible with Pebble or not?
    The whole article is about Apple Pay being icorporated into the Pebble watch and you ask a stupid question!
    2014-11-19 09:01 PM
    The whole article is about Apple Pay being icorporated into the Pebble watch and you ask a stupid question!
    Clive, there is no need to start calling people's questions stupid. The whole article is NOT about Apple Pay being incorporated (I corrected your spelling) into the Pebble Watch. The article is about PayPal getting a payment solution for OTHER watches in place BEFORE Apple Pay comes out on the yet unreleased Apple Watch. It briefly mentions PayPal on the Pebble watch at the beginning of the article, but at the end leaves it out for which watches are supported. So the question is, in fact, NOT a stupid question, and I take great offense at what you said, & in your general ability to read and comprehend sentences.
    Last edited by spiderguy84; 2014-11-19 at 09:25 PM.
    2014-11-19 09:16 PM
    What no one understands is it's not who beats who....it's who has a secure system that's widely accepted.

Apple will gain more and more ground among all retail segments, but more importunately, it's the back in protection. No card number shown or stored locally, one time use secure tokens, etc.

Pair that with the ability to use it very quickly will very little inconvenience and you see who's going to win.

Apple will win this game in the end even though some of the others will through together a few methods that very few retailers will adopt in the long run.
    2014-11-19 10:31 PM
    Clive, there is no need to start calling people's questions stupid. The whole article is NOT about Apple Pay being incorporated (I corrected your spelling) into the Pebble Watch. The article is about PayPal getting a payment solution for OTHER watches in place BEFORE Apple Pay comes out on the yet unreleased Apple Watch. It briefly mentions PayPal on the Pebble watch at the beginning of the article, but at the end leaves it out for which watches are supported. So the question is, in fact, NOT a stupid question, and I take great offense at what you said, & in your general ability to read and comprehend sentences.
    I quote the first sentence of the article:

With the recent success of mobile payment system Apple Pay and the highly anticipated Apple Watch still being months away, PayPal is ahead of the game with its new app for the Pebble smartwatch. PayPal has beat Apple in incorporating a watch-based payment in retail locations with their Pebble watch app. Users who own the smartwatch will be able to pay with the device at retail locations that support it. The new app does not offer NFC-based payments.

Further on it says "CURENTLY" those supported are. This does not name Pebble because it is NOT currently supported but will be in the future.

Now tell me I have not comprehended.

Oh. Sorry for the spelling mistake - is that the best you can do for a reply?
    2014-11-20 12:57 AM
    The article is not about apple pay being incorporated into the pebble watch... Apple would never do that when they have a watch coming out in a couple of months... The article is about a PayPal possibly beating Apple when it comes to being able to check out with a smart watch...
    2014-11-20 05:10 AM
    I still don't get how you actually check out with this. Does it show a QR code to scan or what?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-11-20 05:28 AM
    The article is not about apple pay being incorporated into the pebble watch... Apple would never do that when they have a watch coming out in a couple of months... The article is about a PayPal possibly beating Apple when it comes to being able to check out with a smart watch...
    So, I just installed it on my Pebble, so yes... it is supported on that platform.
    2014-11-20 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD