Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, is generally a man of few words when it comes to speaking publicly about matters involving Apple, especially those of a sensitive or controversial nature. But on Tuesday, Cue emerged from a cocoon of relative silence to address one of the biggest Apple scandals on record -- the company's purported efforts to fix iBooks prices.

In a new interview published on the precipice of Apple's price-fixing appeal, Cue doesn't admit fault in the saga but says if he were to “do it again,” he would certainly “take better notes.”

Ahead of Apple's December 15th effort to have a federal appeals court overturn last summer's ruling that implicated Apple and a number of leading publishers in a conspiracy to rig ebook prices, Cue obviously knows the stakes are high. If Apple wins, there will be no hefty financial penalty. If the guilty decision stands, it will cost Apple close to a half-billion in damages.

"We feel we have to fight for the truth," Cue is quoted in the interview. "Luckily, (CEO) Tim (Cook) feels exactly like I do, which is: You have to fight for your principles no matter what. Because it's just not right."

With highly-complex, confusing, and contentious arguments flying in all directions, it truly remains anyone's guess if the court will find Apple to be culpable in a price-fixing effort or merely pursuing a legal and acceptable business model in the modern age of digital publishing.

The full report from Fortune is a must-read. Check it out here.

Source: Fortune
    2014-12-02 08:08 PM
    Don't care even if Tim comes out and say they are not guilty, they were judge to be guilty all they are trying to do now is stall the payment as long as possible. 500 million is probably less than Tim's profit share/bonuses/stock options, should not be a problem for Apple to pay that out. Would respect them more and put all this behind Apple if Tim comes out and say "Ok, we made a mistake. Apple is sorry we screwed everyone over on book prices here is my checkbook so let me write that check". Now I get to be reminded of all the this throughout the year.
    2014-12-02 09:54 PM
    Apple and Truth do not belong in the same sentence, time to be quiet and accept your punishment Apple.
    2014-12-03 04:50 AM
    Apple and Truth do not belong in the same sentence, time to be quiet and accept your punishment Apple.
    Neither do those two independent clauses.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-12-03 05:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD