In a wide-ranging interview for GQ’s “Men of the Year” segment for 2014, Jimmy Iovine recounts behind-the-scenes details regarding Apple’s acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music. Iovine said he waited roughly two years before Apple said “yeah” to his takeover proposal. He continued by stating the following:

I convinced them that they had to buy this company. I said, 'I don't want to work for anybody else. I want to do this at Apple. I know I can achieve this at Apple. I don't want to shop it. I wanna come here, to Steve's company. I know you guys; I know what you're capable of; I know you get popular culture. I know you have a hole in music right now; let me plug it.'
    Delving in on the “hole” metaphor, Iovine referred to the fact that Apple was falling behind in music services and more specifically in those tailored to meet the “rise of streaming,” which has proved to be a major music industry disruptor. Much like how iTunes ended up changing the way people bought and listened to music, on-demand streaming is quickly doing the same to digital content. Iovine claims that not much time was spent on his current time at Apple though he did say he spent time at Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, California. He said the following regarding the matter:

When I go up to Apple to work on this music service we're doing, I'm in it. I'm in that spot from 1973, in the studio, just saying, 'I've gotta crack the code on this thing.' But I got it. It doesn't have me. The holy grail is peace, with ambition. Otherwise, you've wasted your life.
    He went on to speak about meeting and partnering up with cofounder and current Apple employee, Dr. Dre. Iovine mentioned that his relationship with Dre “is a special thing,” continuing by saying the following:

We trust each other implicitly. It's the closest to a band as I was ever in. We know what each other does, and we trust each other's instincts so much, that when he's moving somewhere and I go, "No," he goes, "Okay, let's not do that." We've been through a lot; this is a guy—I always say, 'You may know a lot of people who have gotten shot, but you don't know a lot of people who have shot back.'
    Last but not least, Iovine ended up briefly touching upon his musical roots stating that The Beatles were an inspiration to him. As a producer, he has played a big role in the successes of big names such as Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Eminem, Dr. Dre and several others.

Any of you interested in reading the interview first hand can do so by hitting the source link below.

Source: GQ

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-12-05 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD