Apple’s iOS 8 (and, to an extent, OS X Yosemite) are being credited with giving a big boost to iBooks.

Coming pre-installed with the operating systems, iBooks has gained an entirely new level of user patronage and engagement. According to a new report, iBooks has averaged a staggeringly impressive rate of growth, adding an estimated one million new customers on a weekly basis since last fall.

Keith Moerer, director of iBooks at Apple, says the larger screens of Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are also conducive to more comfortable reading among consumers. Consequently, the hardware has also helped to inspire more downloads of iBooks -- which is helping to make no shortage of independent authors a handsome sum of money.

“It’s in Apple’s DNA to support creative professionals of all types … many of whom use our hardware, many of whom use our software. That support carries over to the way we run our media business,” Moerer said today at the Digital Book World conference in New York City.

Source: Gigaom
    2015-01-15 11:47 PM
    Indeed. Not too long after getting my 6 Plus, I realized I didn't have a need for my Kindle or iPad anymore. The 6 Plus screen is perfect for reading.
    2015-01-16 12:00 AM
    Yup! I bought my 6 Plus just so I could get rid of my iPad 2 (gave it to the kids). I'd been using the iPad for my textbooks, but now I can read them comfortably on my phone.
    2015-01-16 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD