Apple is rumored to be in production of 5 million Apple Watches for the first production run of this eagerly awaited wearable. But that figure is almost comparable to the total number of smartwatches sold in 2014.

According to new industry data, 2014 sales of smartwatches weren't as strong as you might have otherwise expected. At a time when Apple sold nearly 75 million iPhones in the fourth quarter of 2014, it's underwhelming to say the least that just 6.8 million smartwatches were sold in total last year.

So if Apple manages to sell as many Apple Watches as some industry analysts expect in the first year (between 10 and 15 million) Apple will likely have no trouble dominating this product category within its first year as a maker of smartwatches.

Citing data from The Smartwatch Group, Android Headlines reports that Samsung was the leading seller of smartwatches last year.

"At the top of the list is Samsung, shipping 1.2 Million units throughout 2014, which is a pretty large number considering that their Gear line of devices only work with Samsung devices," the report explains, noting that Motorola (with the Moto 360) came in second, shipping 500,000 units in 2014. And "closely following Motorola is LG, with the G Watch line and the Lifeband Touch, shipping 420,000 units in 2014."

Apple Watch is expected to ship in April.

Source: Android Headlines
    2015-02-25 06:45 PM
    Seeing as how I expect the first several gens with their horrible battery life and questionable functionality to flop as bad as an ngage, I figure I'm under-estimating, not over-estimating...
    2015-02-25 07:29 PM
    Seeing as how I expect the first several gens with their horrible battery life and questionable functionality to flop as bad as an ngage, I figure I'm under-estimating, not over-estimating...
    I just think that these will do well. Very well. Extremely well indeed.
    2015-02-25 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD