Xiaomi, the $45 billion startup known for copying Apple’s designs is reportedly working on a smartwatch that is set to take on the Apple Watch. As of right now there aren’t too many details but according to GSM Arena, the device is going to have a brushed metal design and will feature a round dial. For those of you who didn’t already know, this news is coming just a week after Apple announced the details for the Apple Watch. Xiaomi is infamously known for copying Apple’s designs with design chief Jony Ive even describing the Chinese competitor’s products as “theft.” As a result, Xiaomi seems to be moving towards a new, clean design to veer away from Apple’s look-and-feel and much to the surprise of many, the new approach seems to be generally well-reviewed.

The Chinese startup which was originally founded in 2010 heavily models itself on Apple with Lei Jun, the founder and CEO, behaving much like Steve Jobs. The company, much like Apple, has created an extremely loyal fanbase in China. As a result, rumors of the company working on a smartwatch competitor in China is of concern to Apple, which is currently looking to expand its presence in the Chinese market in an effort to increase its profits. The Chinese startups fans appear to be the key to the company’s quick rise which went from being valued at less than $10 billion to one of the most valuable startups in the world, all on an advertising budget that was almost non-existent.

To put things into perspective, the average price of an Android smartphone is currently cheaper than it has before. Xiaomi’s devices seem to retail for even less than the average Android device, coming in at a price point between $220 and $254. If this pricing model indicates anything about the future, chances are Xiaomi’s smartwatch will likely be priced similar compared to the Apple Watch, all of which points to trouble for Apple. We’ll have to wait and see what happens though.

Source: GSM Arena

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2015-03-17 04:26 AM
    At what size is something no longer a start-up? $45,000,000,000 seems a bit past start-up stage in my book.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-03-17 05:31 AM
    At what size is something no longer a start-up? $45,000,000,000 seems a bit past start-up stage in my book.
    +1

This watch won't be a problem for Apple, even in China.
    2015-03-17 10:20 PM

If this pricing model indicates anything about the future, chances are Xiaomi’s smartwatch will likely be priced similar compared to the Apple Watch, all of which points to trouble for Apple. We’ll have to wait and see what happens though.

Source: GSM Arena
    Seriously? Who would even pay that much money for a cheap knock off of the original? Would much rather just buy the apple watch if there priced out at nearly the same amount.

Just my thought, I wouldn't even spend that much money on a watch to begin with. Would much rather spend my money on planet eclipse Etek 5 or the LV1 and really enjoy it.
    2015-03-17 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD