Apple Watch is still just over a month away, but the number of challengers that await Apple Watch's arrival grows longer by the day.

On Thursday, Bloomberg reported that TAG Heuer is moving forward with a new smartwatch that has some high-tech help behind it. According to the venerable Swiss timepiece maker, the smartwatch is being produced in partnership with Google and Intel -- two companies that have an interest in taking a bite out of Apple Watch.

"The watch is an attempt to compete with devices by consumer-electronics makers, particularly the much-hyped watch by Apple," the report confirms. While TAG is the first traditional watchmaker to pair with Google, the partnership could open the door to other collaborations with high-end brands owned by LVMH, including Hublot and Zenith."

Much of the future of wearables will be decided this year, as first year sales of Apple Watch and public reactions to both Apple's inaugural wearable and others across the tech landscape will provide ample guidance and inspiration for tech makers looking ahead to 2016 and beyond.

Source: Bloomberg
    2015-03-19 10:37 PM
    Wow, sounds like Apple has the luxury watch makers genuinely concerned, because this hasty announcement with a dearth of any details smacks of a desperation by TAG to try to get some word about an eventual smart watch to keep its current and potential customers from buying something from Apple instead.
    2015-03-20 12:47 AM
    All of the smart watches are just a fad. Not very many people wear watches these days. Apple watch is so bulky and so are some of the other competitors. Who the heck wants to look at a watch to gather info when you have a smart phone. Just like when Apple Pay came out, not too many people use it these days and more companies follow just to find out the same. Market is getting saturated and in the way of simple and what is convenient life.

The advertising hype is amazing, but after you purchase you realize what you have done.
    2015-03-20 06:09 PM
    Pretty ironic considering that Tag Heuer was the first luxury watchmaker to bash the Apple Watch and say that it couldn't compete with traditional luxury watches. Yet here they are, first ones trying to scrape up something to compete.

I'm personally looking forward to the Apple Watch, but I don't find it "necessary". It's just neat, and convenient. Everyone tries to bash these sort of things because they say that it's not necessary. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Who cares if it's necessary or not? I've had a pebble and several nice high end watches for a few years now and sometimes I wear nothing but sometimes I feel like wearing a watch to compliment an outfit or to make things easier. That's my $.02 anyways.
    2015-03-21 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD