User Tag List

Apple CEO Tim Cook had some choice words to say to 60 Minutes host Charlie Rose when asked whether or not Apple avoids paying taxes on all of the money it makes from its overseas affairs. Rose brought up a lot of recent questions about Apple's choices in business, and Cook fired right back with a somewhat feisty response:

That is total political crap. There is no truth behind it. Apple pays every tax dollar we owe.
    Cook noted that two-thirds of Apple's business is over seas and that while he'd love to bring a lot of Apple's work over here to the United States, it wouldn't be a "reasonable" thing to do because it would cost Apple 40% more than they're currently paying to produce the products that they have to offer.

Because of all the revenue Apple generates, they are one of the highest tax-paying entities in the United States, and Cook stands behind the notion that Apple will gladly pay all of the taxes that it owes. Cook also gouged the United States' current tax code, noting that it was built for the industrial age, and doesn't fit the modern digital age very well at all.

The video of the interview can be watched on CBS News' Web site at this link.

Source: CBS News
    2015-12-19 03:48 AM
    Apple may be dodging taxes, according to people's opinions, but if they were as a matter of the law, I'm sure the IRS would take them to task for it. But the facts is that they are following the laws we have in place, just like every other company. If you have a problem with the amount of taxes paid by Apple, don't complain to Tim Cook, complain to your congressman about our crap, Swiss cheese tax code.
    2015-12-19 01:29 PM
    Apple may be dodging taxes, according to people's opinions, but if they were as a matter of the law, I'm sure the IRS would take them to task for it. But the facts is that they are following the laws we have in place, just like every other company. If you have a problem with the amount of taxes paid by Apple, don't complain to Tim Cook, complain to your congressman about our crap, Swiss cheese tax code.
    Maybe. but don’t play the ‘we are honourable’ card if you are going to dodge tax. There are always, and I mean ALWAYS, going to be loopholes.
    2015-12-19 06:29 PM
    Loopholes created by congress, and why? Because these guys are double dipping, by which I mean these companies have congressman and senators that are also on the board too. All of these companies use the loopholes and funnel their money through Ireland to avoid most taxes. These companies cost the USA to lose out in about 65 Billion a year in lost tax revenue because of these loopholes.

Tim is right and telling the truth by saying they pay every tax dollar they owe, but that's a pretty generalize statement. I'm sure if they asked him to go into detail? He would avoid the details and give another generalize statement.
    2015-12-19 07:40 PM
    The ‘correct' thing to do is pay the tax that is due. Tim I wouldn’t mind betting, has an army of lawyers and accountants that are there to find these loopholes. That tells me one of two things;
    1. He likes to save money.
    2. He is a little dishonest.

The government want us to pay the tax that is due. Whilst I’m not saying we don’t all want to save money, see it for what it is. He is trying to beat the system. He will go to court and try and get off on technicalities.That is how he is.
    If you know an oversight in the law will get you off and you take advantage of it you are dishonest. This is the world we live in yes, but let’s not pretend we are whiter than white.
    2015-12-19 07:57 PM
    Who really cares they make a great product and they are no different than an other company in doing what they do get em Timmy.
    2015-12-19 10:54 PM
    Of course they are avoiding paying taxes, as is every American company. Burger King merged with a foreign company to avoid paying taxes this year.
    2015-12-20 01:38 PM
    Maybe. but don’t play the ‘we are honourable’ card if you are going to dodge tax. There are always, and I mean ALWAYS, going to be loopholes.
    You say that as if tax loopholes are an element of nature rather than what they are: laws written and voted in by politicians.

The fact is that they don't have to exist, and to think companies should simply ignore portions of the tax code as written and just pay more money is an even more ridiculous idea than your statement. But if you really believe that I look forward to hearing about how how you don't bother taking any income deductions such as the standard deduction on your own taxes.
    2015-12-20 03:39 PM
    they want more money so they can blow it like the rest of the tax dollars they get.
    2015-12-21 04:31 AM
    I like how he phrased it, "We pay every tax dollar we owe".
    That is a very calculated response. Apple doesn't owe tax dollars due to tax loopholes that they exploit...
    2015-12-21 05:19 PM
    Just remember, this isn't just Apple that is doing this. It's all of these Fortune 500 companies that are doing this.
    2015-12-21 09:20 PM
    Apple, Google and several other big global companies have been under investigation in Australia for the last 18 months due to the tax avoidance techniques they employ for all their locally generated revenue. I'm sure this is the case in probably all of the territories they operate in across the globe.
    2015-12-22 04:15 AM
    Who really cares they make a great product and they are no different than an other company in doing what they do get em Timmy.
    This is a terrible way of thinking. It should not be acceptable to allow loopholes just because you like something.
    2015-12-27 06:53 PM
    The ‘correct' thing to do is pay the tax that is due.
    Jesus Christ, are you on EVERY thread about Apple's tax liability whining about moral obligation to pay taxes?

Tim Cook is on the record of saying they pay every penny they are 'legally obligated to pay'. Legally- by definition of the laws governing locations in which they do business. He's not being intentionally obtuse in his statement. He's being very direct. If Apple's not breaking the law, then it's paying its legally obligated taxes, period.

Apple's not 'getting away with something' just because the LAW wasn't written 'properly enough' for your liking. If you have issue with the law, you should be whining about it on your state and federal representative's websites. Those are the people that made the rules.
    Last edited by ishamiyal; 2015-12-28 at 06:42 PM.
    2015-12-28 06:23 PM
    Jesus Christ, are you on EVERY thread about Apple's tax liability whining about moral obligation to pay taxes?
    I’m sure a person with such strong moral fiber as that guy doesn’t bother with taking any deductions on his taxes, even the standard deduction everybody gets! In fact, I’m sure he opts to pay extra taxes since he’s such a good, upstanding, moral citizen.
    2015-12-31 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD