User Tag List

I'm really unhappy with El Capitan so I'm trying to use the last time machine back up of Yosemite to restore to.
    The restore seems to go fine but then that's when the issue starts. After rebooting the black screen and apple logo shows with the grey bar slowly works up to around 50% but then goes no further. I've left the machine for about 20 hours overnight and then whilst I was at work and came home to find the bar hasn't budged.
    I have no idea what could this issue so any help on why this would be or how to fix the issue would be a massive help please.
    2015-10-14 09:00 PM
    Did you reinstall Yosemite first before the TM restore?
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!
    2015-10-14 09:57 PM
    I didn't no. I booted my MBP into recovery mode then tried restoring from my latest Yosemite time machine.

I am now trying to partition 10gb of my external HD to make a Yosemite bootable usb but there's now an issue that not letting me partition. So I'm running first aid which confirms there's an issue on my External hard drive but with El Capitan, repair disk permission is no longer in disk utility.
    2015-10-14 10:00 PM
    You probably won't be able to do an Yosemite Internet Recovery from the Recovery Partition as it will have been upgraded to 10.11. You can try though.

Repairing disk permissions has been removed as it does nothing other than fix Apple software issues. It won't fix anything on an external drive. Disk Repair might, or a utility like DiskWarrior.

I think your only bet is to get a Yosemite bootable installer created. You can make it on a USB thumb drive. Reinstall 10.10 on your Mac HD and then restore from TM backup.
    2015-10-14 10:17 PM
    Running first aid on my external hard drive a second time around seems to of fixed some issue which has now let me partition my hard drive which should now enable me to make a usb bootable thumb.

Once I've made this, what would the best way to install Yosemite before restoring? Would it be booting the MBP into recovery, disk utility and erase my Macintosh HD? Then boot from my external hard drive Yosemite installer, install then restore?
    2015-10-14 10:32 PM
    If you build it correctly, the Yosemite installer is a bootable Recovery Partiton that you boot on with the full Yosemite installer. You can reformat your Mac HD with Disk Utility on the recovery and then install.

You can use DiskmakerX to build the installer DiskMaker X
    2015-10-15 01:06 AM
    Hey Deyno1903, how you making out?
    2015-10-18 03:50 AM
    Hi bud, I've made my Yosemite installer. I didn't use Diskmaker X as it tried to erase all my time machine backups as well as my partitioned drive. (Don't know if I was using it correctly). But yeah, that's sorted now and after all the messing around I've done, in the end, I'm going to El Capitan another go!!

But everything is in place now if I decide to go back to Yosemite.

Thanks for all your help.
    2015-10-18 07:49 AM
    Great to hear! El Captain grows on one. Eventually...
    2015-10-19 06:43 PM
    I am still with Yosemite,though App Store has pushed update alert a few times
    2015-12-28 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD