Hello everyone,

I just bought a MBP last week. I love this machine, however I will be needing more HD space sooner than I thought. This is my first Mac, so I am still a certifiable noob. I do learn quick though, LOL.

I was browsing around the web doing some research earlier, and now I have a few questions. I have the standard 13 inch 2.4 250 HD [email protected] Is it possible to upgrade to a 500gb HD @7200, or is that not recomended?

My main goal is to achieve as much HD space on the machine as possible. If I can increase speed and functionality of the machine then great, but if not I am not to terribly concerned.

FYI, I am using a 1T external for time machine, but am more interested in space on the actual machine as I am a national sales manager, and I attend college full time. Between my job, school, and the traveling I do, I would prefer to have the space on the machine vs traveling with the external.

I should of upgraded the machine at time of purchase, but I figured I could make the changes on my own, for a much more economical price. At least that is what I am hoping.

Thanks for any help guys,
    Tom
    2010-11-20 03:01 AM
    Yes, you can upgrade to a 500 GB drive, but you will need to purchase it elsewhere.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!
    2010-11-20 04:02 AM
    newegg would be the best options they usally have some really good deals there get the momentous xt drive i think thats what is is it has 4 gig ssd as a cache i think and 500 gig's 7200rpm i think its supposed to be 1 of the fastest drives you can get
    2010-11-29 08:42 AM
    I upgraded my pro 15" 2010 with a 1tb western digital hd. Fitted myself restored via time machine and works like a treat! Was only about 100 bucks for the hd too!
    2011-01-24 03:30 PM
    I actually just installed the Seagate momentus XT. Boot time is about 25 secs now and everything seems to be working great. It is a little louder than the manufacturer supplied HD but not that bad at all. I do have a little vibration now, but nothing that is bothersome at all either. I think it may have to do with the bolts that hold the HD in place. When I get the time I am going to move them out a little more and I suspect that will resolve the vibration issue. However, if that doesn't fix it, like I said, it inst bad at all so no worries.

From what I have read, the people who had had probs with this HDD didn't have their issues until about a month of usage. Until then I guess I will keep my fingers crossed!
    2011-02-08 12:53 AM
    I upgraded my pro 15" 2010 with a 1tb western digital hd. Fitted myself restored via time machine and works like a treat! Was only about 100 bucks for the hd too!
    thats what I am running
    2011-02-08 12:55 AM
    Im now considering a ram upgrade but I am unsure it is worth it. Have any of you dont this upgrade and was it worth it?
    2011-02-08 12:59 AM
    I upgraded to 8 GBs of ram and it did make a little difference. Not sure if it was worth the expense tho.
    2011-02-08 01:09 AM
    I didn't think it would. I may just stay where I am at for now then. Thanks for the reply!!!
    2011-02-08 06:01 AM
    Yea I wouldn't begin justifying that purchase
    2011-02-08 06:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD