User Tag List

I posted this on Macrumors earlier and haven't got a response yet, I figured I'd see what the consensus is here...

I am planning on buying this MBP from Craigslist and will be meeting the seller at an Apple Store for the transaction:

13" Macbook Pro - Upgraded!

I feel this model is best for me as it is the last of the "user-serviceable" models before the retinas came out. The only downside I see is only 128GB for the HD, however, I can hopefully find a good deal on a 256/512 such as the ones listed on Crucial's site or a good sponsor/vendor from these forums.

Storage isn't the biggest thing, I just need to have enough space to run VM Fusion w/ Yosemite and Windows 7(which I use for my small tax biz w/ about 2gb of files) and will probably keep all my photos on Flickr and Music/Entertainment on iCloud. The device I'm upgrading from is a late '08 MB13 unibody 2.4/8/250HDD which I'm looking to replace before it dies like my wife's late '08 MBP15(RIP 05/05/15 - fried logic board).

This will be my 3rd used MB so I'm somewhat confident in the durability, however, are there any issues to look out for that would make me walk away?

One I'm considering is b/c he did the 16GB RAM and SSD installs himself. It looks like he's gonna go with the offer of $700, however, any other red flags I'm sure will drive that down lower.
    2015-05-18 09:08 PM
    I found this one now for $500... sounds way too low, but I guess I'll get the scoop on it soon:

MacBook Pro 13" Late 2012 non retina

I contacted them to find out how much RAM and how many GB the SSD is as well as whether they are the original owner.
    2015-05-18 09:09 PM
    Mac2Sell values this setup (13" Macbook Pro - Upgraded!) at $870: Mac2Sell United States - The Mac2Sell guide to used Macs - second-hand Mac worth : MacBook Pro unibody, 870 $
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!
    2015-05-18 10:19 PM
    So it looks like a good deal then, but not quite "too good to be true". Seller has offered to meet at an Apple Store to confirm the legitimacy of ownership, etc.

I found this one as well which I'm going to check out. Seller is an ACMT and got the unit as a trade-in. Said he can either do the 1TB hybrid SSD or a 240GB SSD for the HD:  13" MacBook Pro - Core i7 - 8GB Ram - 1 TB SSHD 

Hmm, with this one it is valued at $1670 vs. asking price of $600.

I also found one for my wife who was dead-set on buying new from Apple for $1428 OTD... MacBook Pro 13" Retina 2015
    2015-05-19 01:48 AM
    So the guy with the $600 late 2011 MBP13 stood me up and never even responded to any of my texts to tell him I was at the Starbucks I drove 45mins to get to where he wanted to meet at 7pm.

Very unprofessional, especially since the only reason I was considering this was because he supposedly refurb MBs professionally.

Now it's back to square 1 and the first MBP13 I posted which only has 128GB SSD, but it looks like it's only $130(and hopefully can find cheaper) to get a 256GB.

On the plus side we went to the Apple Store out here and made my wife happy with a brand new MBP13 retina 2.7/8/128SSD for $1400 OTD ($21 less in tax, woo hoo).
    2015-05-19 05:32 AM
    That sucks the guy never showed up! Good that you got your wife a new Mac. It's so true: happy wife, happy life!

Another option is to remove the SuperDrive and mount a 2.5" mechanical drive. That way we can keep your system and apps on the SSD and photos, music, etc on the standard HHD.

If you’re looking for SSD options, I believe the OWC SSDs support TRIM, but they're spendy. I have a 256 GB OCZ Vertex 4 in my older MBP and have to use a TRIM hack to enable it. I like OCZ as they are cheaper and offer great speeds.
    2015-05-19 08:40 AM
    So I ended up getting the 1st listing(which has been taken down). Met the guy at the Apple Store and had a Sales Associate confirm there were no holds/locks on the serial and that iCloud was disabled. Now it's time to figure out whether to do as you suggest and replace the Superdrive w/ a mechanical HD or just get a larger SSD.
    2015-05-20 07:42 AM
    Let me know if you need help or recommendations.
    2015-05-22 02:32 AM
    Do you have a link where to buy a good 256GB or 512GB SSD that doesn't require modification?

I did a product finder on Crucial and Kingston and instead of answers, I have more questions

This Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD looks to be the best size/speed value at $189.99 and the smaller version Crucial MX200 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD at $109.99 looks to be sufficient as I'm coming from a 250GB HDD on my late '08 MB.

On CDW I found this EDGE SE847 - solid state drive - 256 GB - SATA 6Gb/s model for $103.99, however, it has a much slower write speed(315MB/S vs 500MB/S) than the 250GB Crucial.

When I worked for CDW(late 2008-early 2009) I had a loyalty to Edge due to their great sales support, however, I learned that of the Big 3(Edge, Crucial and Kingston) for RAM it was really all the same, however, it seems there are notable performance differences in the SSD's vs. limited specs in RAM(namely bus speed and size) so this'll be a more difficult decision to make where price is only one of several factors.

The current SSD in this model is a Kingston SSDNow V Series 128GB Media, however, it does not state which V-Series it is(125? 300? etc?), either way it seems like any of the above would be much faster.
    2015-05-24 08:55 PM
    System Information should list the full model off the current Kingston.

Kingston and Crucial have always been good for RAM, and their SSDs seem to be good as well. I've only used OCZ, Kingston and Samsung SSDs. I still like OCZ for their speed/price. Any 2.5" SSD will work in a Mac. You definitely want to install in the the hard drive slot as the DVD slot is typically SATA II and not SATA III. One consideration is whether or not the firmware of the SSD can be upgraded on a Mac and if the firmware upgrade will erase you data in the process.

I used the OZC Data Doubler for mounting the second drive. They also have SSD kits: Search Results for data doubler at MacSales.com
    2015-05-26 04:20 AM
    I found the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD for $177 on Amazon Prime so I went with that one after reading up more and seeing how it was constantly rated higher than the Crucial BX/MX series and I also saw that OCZ has not been as good since they filed BK in late 2013 and were taken over by Toshiba.

With 500GB I can just do a direct swap and won't have to do a multi-drive deal, I will however consider putting the 128GB SSD that is currently in here in my late '08 uMB as a hybrid setup along w/ the 250GB HDD.
    2015-05-26 04:44 AM
    Nice find!

I use TRIM Enabler to turn on TRIM support. Even though it doesn't work as well in Yosemite, it can still enable TRIM. https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/
    2015-05-30 08:47 PM
    When I worked for CDW(late 2008-early 2009) I had a loyalty to Edge due to their great sales support, however, I learned that of the Big 3(Edge, Crucial and Kingston) for RAM it was really all the same, however, it seems there are notable performance differences in the SSD's vs. limited specs in RAM(namely bus speed and size) so this'll be a more difficult decision to make where price is only one of several factors.
    2018-04-17 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD