I have added my ringtones to the phone using IFuntastic and that worked great! But one of my uses for my mobil is as a pager using SMS messages. In my old razor I was able to set it so that I could have a loud and long enough ringtone so that it would wake me when I got paged but I see no way of specifying the SMS ringtone with the Iphone. Of course what I really would like is to be able to have individualized SMS ringtones so that I only get my loud ringtone for the accounts I get paged from. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

I was able to find the answer on
    http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...tallation.html

You have to do it via terminal using jailbreak and iPhoneInterface and
    then you replace the system sound. One note about following the
    directions. I found that I kept getting an error trying to putfile my
    sms-received.caf file using the full pathname I kept getting
    iPhone:/# putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/sms-received.caf
    Problem with AFCFileRefOpen: 12

so instead I did a
    iPhone:/# cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    then
    iPhone:/System/Library/Audio/UISounds# rmdir sms-received.caf
    then
    iPhone:/System/Library/Audio/UISounds# putfile sms-received.caf

after that I followed the remaining instructions and everything worked
    at that point. I hope at some point that Apple will allow individualized ringtones for SMS messages but in the meantime my phone will work as my pager!
    Last edited by elbers_e; 2007-08-01 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-08-01 03:34 PM
    yep those are the exact correct steps,
    2007-08-02 09:38 AM
    This works nicely, but I found that it only changes the SMS tone when the SMS app is closed. If you have the SMS app open, a different tone is used (sounds like a slide flute from a 5-year old's birthday party). You can use the same tactics to change this tone as well.

The files you'll want to change are called:

SentMessage.caf and ReceivedMessage.caf
    2011-01-03 12:22 AM
    i think i've seen people do this, try searching the forums or doing a google search to see what you can find
    2011-06-09 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD