User Tag List

Independent of who is actually releasing the hack, I figure there are three "classes" of iPhone unlock currently. I'm trying to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each. Please chime in and include your opinion.

Unit Hardware Unlock - This is the geohot-style hack which requires (permanent?) alteration of the device hardware, in addition to some firmware tweaking. I would suppose the weakness of this would be the difficulty in performing the hack and the possibitlity of your iPhone 'sploding on your kitchen table. Also wondering if it's going to be possible for a hardware hack to be circumvented and undone as a result of an update.

Software Only Hack - The IPSF-style hack, which is a full-on software hack. Naturally, this is going to be the easiest and probably more widely-used hack. I think my apprehension in using this is that it would probably be trivial for Apple to undo this with an update.

SIM based hack - This is the one I'm least familiar with. Seemed to be the way to go until the software-only hacks started gaining popularity. As far as I can tell, this requires little to no modification of the unit itself, aside from jailbreaking the phone to allow it to activate without going through AT&T. The way I understand this is that you can either program a SIM to identify itself as AT&T while providing service via another carrier, or use some sort of intermediate spliced card to to the same. If all the "magic" happens with the SIM card, is it likely that A)The phone even knows what's going on or B) it can be prevented in an update?

The SIM card stuff is what I'm thinking may be the better solution as it seems to leave the unit itself relatively intact.

What am I missing?
    2007-09-11 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD