ok guys, i tried to do this and figure it out on my own,
    but i guess im not smart enough for this! haha!

my problem, i have restored my iphone after encountering a problem unlocking

after restore, i then installed the installerapp.
    installed all the files i wanted. including SSH
    i then used independence to install SSH
    i then changed my passwords. ROOT and MOBILE.
    i then connected FUGU. i oved the iUNLOCK files to my iPHONE

now... the real problem.
    i open terminal.
    ssh -l root 192.***.**.*
    terminal asks for password
    i enter password
    and i get this.
    it automatically closes after i connect?
    WHY??? why doesnt it stay connected? please HELP! thanks

Last login: Wed Sep 12 16:23:30 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    jamie-koas-computer:~ jamiekoa$ ssh -l root 192.168.10.5
    [email protected]'s password:
    Last login: Wed Sep 12 16:25:19 2007 from 192.168.10.4
    -sh-3.2# lau
    Connection to 192.168.10.5 closed.
    jamie-koas-computer:~ jamiekoa$
    2007-09-13 01:37 AM
    is ssh installed
    2007-09-13 06:17 PM
    I had a similar problem as you. the connection would close after any command typed after the -sh-3.2# prompt. have you tried sftp'ing anything to your iphone or have you been able to install anything with installer.app since then? when i had that problem, i couldn't install anything with installer.app and i couldn't write files with sftp and would get errors when i tried. Tried restoring and using installer.app and independence again. and same problems. i narrowed it down to the INdependence application. After restoring and ONLY using installer.app, (and installing what i needed to with that), i was able to SSH and sftp with no problem. I haven't used INdependence since my last restore and all has been fine. Installer.app has a download for SSH and sftp, so you shouldn't need independence to install those. Also, i think there is a terminal way to change the passwords somewhere on MMi (sorry, can't remember where).

hope that helps some. sorry i don't have another suggestion that doesn't deal with restoring.
    2007-09-13 07:57 PM
    i would re-install ssh you may need to do a restore then reinstall ssh i've had some phones be goofy excepting the ssh correctly
    2007-09-13 11:46 PM
    I had this problem as well... easy fix without having to restore.

1.) Remove Dropbear from your iphone using iNdependence
    2.) Reboot the phone
    3.) Install OpenSSH through Installer
    4.) Reboot the phone
    5.) Login < might take a little bit to generate the keys.

-Steve
    2007-09-14 07:58 PM
    Hi. I had exactly the same frustrating problem and searched for a solution for a couple of days. I finally stumbled upon it, I think.

In the etc folder of your iPhone there is a master.pswd file. Make a backup. On the line which starts with root:, at the end of it after the bin/, change it to csh so that it reads System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/csh

I had tried uninstalling / reinstalling BSD subsystems, Open SSH as well as all the other suggestions in this thread, but to no avail. This did it for me. If you tried all other methods and couldn't get it to work, give this a shot. Good luck.
    2007-09-16 05:32 PM
    maybe I too am doing something wrong. I just installed the mobile terminal because I'm bricked and can't use my phone and when I type in and code more than three characters the mobile terminal says process complete and freezes up. what am I doing wrong.
    2007-11-01 03:51 AM
    install bsd subystems first
    2007-11-01 04:11 AM
    I had this problem as well... easy fix without having to restore.

1.) Remove Dropbear from your iphone using iNdependence
    2.) Reboot the phone
    3.) Install OpenSSH through Installer
    4.) Reboot the phone
    5.) Login < might take a little bit to generate the keys.

-Steve
    Hi, I cant see openssh as available to install with installer, in fact it gives me a very poor choice of apps to install, what source are you using and can you give me the address I need to add, thanks
    2007-11-01 11:42 PM
    Did you install Community Sources?..... OpenSSH should be available on the Installer under System where the BSD Subsystem is also located. As mentioned, install BSD first.
    2007-11-02 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD