I know I am asking for it posting this info because there servers are going to collapse under the weight of all the new subscribers, but Emoze.com has a working Desktop / Outlook Exchange Redirector Program.

This is a god-send for people behind corporate firewalls that do not allow IMAP connectivity (one of the biggest complaints regarding the Iphone as a business device / blackberry replacement). Their software runs locally on your office workstations and works in tandem with Outlook Exchange server to forward your Exchange Email to Emoze's POP3 Servers which can then be accessed on your Iphone VIA Pop3.

I have tested their software and YES, it works; however, there is one small limitation. It successfully Syncs from your Iphone to Outlook, meaning if you delete an email off your iphone, it will delete from your Outlook Inbox off the Exchange Server; however if you delete an email from you Outlook Inbox, you have to manually remove it from your Inbox on your Iphone assuming it has already downloaded that email. REGARDLESS, this is a huge step towards exchange server integration that works without compromising security on Exchange Servers through IMAP and without OWA, since most IT departments refuse to allow IMAP support. I have successfully tested this using Outlook 2003 and Emoze 1.4 Push Email Client.

Here is a link for download:
    http://www.emoze.com/en/get/common/installation.asp
    2007-10-23 08:10 PM
    Ok I'm not gonna lie, i was a little skeptical about trying this out, but i bit the bullet and tested it and well it works great. I havent fully tested it yet, I ran out of time. But so far this seems like a good work around.
    2007-10-23 11:47 PM
    you can also do this with gmail. I have my gmail account check my exchange mail and then my iphone checks my gmail account. No forwarding needed. Plus it lets me send emails from the exchange account instead of the gmail one. works great. the only bad part is that it doesn't delete the emails from my exchange account when i delete on the iphone but I kind of like that because i dont have to have my whole exchange list on my phone. Only the ones I deem worthy and then I can keep them in my outlook if I want to.
    2007-10-24 05:34 AM
    Interesting company you work for. It's not ok to get through firewall with iphone but ok to forward ALL your corp mail to a 3rd party server.

Think you will get fired...
    2007-10-24 03:25 PM
    Interesting company you work for. It's not ok to get through firewall with iphone but ok to forward ALL your corp mail to a 3rd party server.

Think you will get fired...
    you bring up a good point. I tested this on my exchange server i have set up at home. But yes be smart about it, because essentially you are forwarding your private email to a third party
    2007-10-24 04:01 PM
    yeah, i was thinking the same thing, theres no way we would allow people to having a 3rd party hold our corp email. not even gmail
    2007-10-24 06:23 PM
    actually our IT department was totally for it. It is esentially the same thing as GOODLINK , Cingular Xpressmail, or other Windows Mobile Solutions.
    2007-10-24 10:35 PM
    just set up the gmail solution to use imap since gmail enabled imap and it is by far the best solution yet. Now you can set up folders in gmail and sync them from the iphone.
    2007-10-25 05:24 AM
    Can those who got the emoze client to send email okay give us the settings used to connect to gw.emoze.com correctly? Can receive mail, but errors on send. Thanks in advanced.
    2007-11-09 01:52 AM
    okay Barry -- how do you do that with GMAIL?

j
    2007-11-09 08:31 AM
    you can also do this with gmail. I have my gmail account check my exchange mail and then my iphone checks my gmail account. No forwarding needed. Plus it lets me send emails from the exchange account instead of the gmail one. works great. the only bad part is that it doesn't delete the emails from my exchange account when i delete on the iphone but I kind of like that because i dont have to have my whole exchange list on my phone. Only the ones I deem worthy and then I can keep them in my outlook if I want to.
    Yea, this works ONLY if your exchange mail is POP supported.* I have tried.
    Does Emoze have to be installed on your office machine to capture corporate e-mail?* Can it be on a home computer?* If so, how?
    2007-11-30 05:44 AM
    Guys, if you go to the emoze website their claim is that their servers never store your email. The desktop client maintains an "always-on", always conncted session with their server. When you connect to emoze via your Iphone to get your email, the Emoze server notifies the desktop client to sync/push all of it's email directly to the Iphone. Their server is only a conduit, not a storage facility. The data transfer is even encrypted round trip.

Still, most corporate Information Security departments will have problems with this if they discover it going on. They don't want you pushing their confidential email to some third party whether they're storing it or not. Who's to say they aren't mining it for marketing data or email addresses as it passes through them to your Iphone.

Just to throw this out there - I was trying out Ubuntu (Linux) a few versions ago and they had an email client that got around the Exchange problem by interfacing directly with Outlook Web Access (Owa) - the web mail version of Outlook that a lot of companies use for their travelling employees.

The email client seemed to screen-scrape OWA or dissect the inbound and outbound HTTP traffic to pull all of your email, contacts, etc into their program and sync everything up.
    2007-11-30 09:03 PM
    can you tell me how can i do that?
    2008-01-10 07:27 PM
    Can those who got the emoze client to send email okay give us the settings used to connect to gw.emoze.com correctly? Can receive mail, but errors on send. Thanks in advanced.
    Here's what I did. It is working like a champ.

In Mail settings:

POP Account

Address: the email address you registered with emoze
    Description: emoze

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name: gw.emoze.com
    User Name: the user name you created with emoze
    Password: the password you created with emoze

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name: gw.emoze.com:465

That's it. When you get it going, you'll see that on your desktop, emoze will show that you are connected to the site. Nothing else special to get it it going. It works flawlessly so far.

Cheers.

Here's what I did. It is working like a champ.

In Mail settings:

POP Account

Address: the email address you registered with emoze
    Description: emoze

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name: gw.emoze.com

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name: gw.emoze.com:465

That's it. When you get it going, you'll see that on your desktop, emoze will show that you are connected to the site. Nothing else special to get it it going. It works flawlessly so far.

Cheers.
    Last edited by dallasredraider; 2008-05-14 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-05-14 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD