Am I the only one that has noticed this? Looks pretty tight. Can't wait for it to get on Installer! Everything here is coming off their Google Code Site: http://code.google.com/p/mobilestack/

Stack for Mobile OS X aims to bring the power of Stacks to the Mobile OS X Dock, or Button Bar.

A stack is basically a group of applications that fans out when you touch it, allowing you to choose to launch any of the contained items. Think of it as an application launcher that allows you to keep your Home Screen neat and tidy. As someone who likes the clean look of the default iPod touch home screen, I was driven to develop Stack to allow me to have a way to launch separate applications.

How does Stack work?

Stack currently demands a bit of programming know-how, as it is a work-in-progress learning experience for me and is in no way ready for the non-techie to install.

Stack should be added to your Button Bar in the last position (currently a requirement). You will also need to add an entry for Stack to your LaunchDaemons folder. Thirdly, all items in Stack are hard-coded at this time, and you must add the identifiers for each item to the "special" items section in your N45AP.plist (or M68AP.plist for iPhone) inside SpringBoard.app, the system shell, so that they don't show up on SpringBoard as well as Stack. Fourthly, uh, I guess you need a pretty empty home screen for it to look alright? Then simply reboot your iPod/iPhone and the Stack should show up in your Dock on boot.

For those who crave details - Stack doesn't run as a normal SpringBoard-launched application at all, it is a "Purple" application that displays its window on top of SpringBoard in the lower-right corner, which, as it happens, is a blank space when you add Stack to the Button Bar. The effect is as seen below.

Peer Responses to "Stack"

"Pretty as hell" - Wil Shipley, Delicious Monster
    Videos

New video:

In use:

Implementation: http://mobilestack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Stacks.mov
    2007-10-26 01:23 AM
    you are not the only one but i cant wait till this is ready for the masses....

i got it working!!!!!......
    will post more information as i am able to...
    Last edited by canadianiphone; 2007-10-26 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-26 02:01 AM
    How?!
    2007-10-26 02:10 AM
    i am trying to find M68AP.plist...apparently it is in springboard.app located in the system shell....however i cant find it...does anybody know where to find it?

i have been able to get the stack running....
    i am now trying to customize what is actually in the stack by editing this file M68AP.plist.....

i will post the files as soon as i am able to get it in complete working order.

EDIT: NEVERMIND...i believe the info needed to change what is actually displayed in stack is located in displayorder.plist located in summerboard.app in system....
    Last edited by canadianiphone; 2007-10-26 at 02:27 AM.
    2007-10-26 02:22 AM
    It's in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. This would be SO great. Please tell.
    2007-10-26 02:27 AM
    ok so heres my progress...

1. Stack should be added to your Button Bar in the last position (currently a requirement).
    done, after installing the app using independence, i used customize to place it in the correct spot.

2. You will also need to add an entry for Stack to your LaunchDaemons folder.
    done....had a file from a previous download of a version of mobilestack...used that....

now everything works...i see the stack and can use it....

3. Thirdly, all items in Stack are hard-coded at this time, and you must add the identifiers for each item to the "special" items section in your N45AP.plist (or M68AP.plist for iPhone) inside SpringBoard.app, the system shell, so that they don't show up on SpringBoard as well as Stack.

cant find this file (M68AP.plist) or the file where the items are found...
    i found "special" in the displayorder.plist list located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app but changing that did not work...

anybody have any ideas?
    2007-10-26 02:37 AM
    where do i get the files for launch daemons. and if you look around in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app you will find M68AP.plist. just scroll down, its far down
    2007-10-26 02:59 AM
    where do i get the files for launch daemons. and if you look around in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app you will find M68AP.plist. just scroll down, its far down

i will post the launch deamon shortly...
    are you using 1.1.1?

M68AP.plist may only exist is 1.1.1....??

EdiT: thats the problem.....M68AP.plist only exists in 1.1.1....
    Last edited by canadianiphone; 2007-10-26 at 03:05 AM.
    2007-10-26 03:01 AM
    yeah, i am on 1.1.1
    2007-10-26 03:09 AM
    longhorns...
    can you do me a favor and post a copy of your m68AP.plist file that is located in the coreservices folder....

thanks
    2007-10-26 03:13 AM
    hey i also got it working. its pretty cool but does the icons stay on the bottom for a sec when opening a new app.? well it is seriously beta so hopefully it will improve. the that other thing, the M68AP.plist i put my made my iphone like a hard drive with macfuse and used spotlight to find it. check out that thread on how to make you phone like a hard drive. i gave full instructions. later.

-swell
    2007-10-26 03:19 AM
    my email is [email protected], email me and ill send it to u. thats easiest 4 me
    2007-10-26 03:22 AM
    email sent....

ok...

everything works fine with 1.0.2...
    stacks show up and work fine...
    however changing what is in the stack is proving to be more difficult than expected...

M68AP.plist is a 1.1.1 file that can be modded to change what stacks displays...but in firmware 1.0.2 that file does not exist and i am not sure how to change what is in the stack....

maybe editing the application_binary file may be the answer but i do not know how to do so....

so thats where im at...any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by canadianiphone; 2007-10-26 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-26 03:45 AM
    i re-read the description on the googlecode site and that .plist doesnt modify whats in your stack, just makes it were those apps. in stacks are not on your springboard. so, if i had maps in my stack, it would make maps gone from my homescreen. its A LOT easier to screw editing the .plist and use customize to hide those apps. lata.

-swell
    2007-10-26 03:52 AM
    couldnt get it to work, dunno whats up
    2007-10-26 04:01 AM
    yea true ...

so basically what your saying is the creator has made it so that the 5 apps in the stack cant be changed currently....

alternatively...using customize/rsbt to remove the apps that are in the stack from your homepage is the best way to go....

hopefully a more user friendly version is released soon with the ability to alter what is in the stack....

thanks
    2007-10-26 04:03 AM
    here put stacks in apps.
    then put the .plist in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
    later

-swell
    Attached Files
    2007-10-26 04:04 AM
    yeah man, ill PM you if i find anything new.
    2007-10-26 04:07 AM
    thanks swell....im assuming your using 1.0.2 aswell...
    2007-10-26 04:18 AM
    nope just recently upgraded. is it only supposed to work for 1.0.2?
    2007-10-26 04:19 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD