Has anyone come upon this problem yet? When ever I install more than 80 apps on my iphone it will not boot until I SSH and remove them. Is this a known issue - can someone else test this out for me - I would appreciate it !
    2007-10-28 07:44 AM
    I know for a fact 1.1.1 has a smaller partition memory for 3rd party apps.

Sorry but why would you need 80 apps?
    2007-10-28 08:34 AM
    Yeah...with all due respect, what are you using 80 apps to achieve? Are there that many you find yourself using or is it more of a "becuase I can" situation?

Just curious...that's a pretty robust number. And I LOVE native apps.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.
    2007-10-28 08:40 AM
    No I actually use all of them on a daily basis and have reached the limit it seems
    2007-10-28 05:30 PM
    Wow? I think you may be a shoe-in for stretching the most use out of an iPhone!

I haven't heard another modder anywhere NEAR the usage you're claiming.

Kudos!
    2007-10-28 07:16 PM
    Well actually in v1.1.1, 78 is limit for stability reasons, the fact that your iphone is still booting with 80 apps is a plus i guess....
    For Help with Themes and theme mods,
    please join us at our Theme IRC channel
    on irc.moofspeak.net, join channel
    #themeLand see ya there.
    2007-10-28 08:29 PM
    Yea - I never seemed to notice this on 102 but then I started running into issues installing apps - thinking the problem lied with the app itself but rather it was the number of apps, when I had 2 gigs of open space. I guess I will now try to see which ones I can get by without and which ones are more necessary, seems odd that it is running into this issue.

Ive actually had to rejailbreak and restore my iPhone about 5 times under 111 thinking that was the only solution I've now figured that I can ssh into it if its turned on and remove some apps to get it booting and working again
    2007-10-28 08:46 PM
    I still cant believe about the 80 apps. Im just really curious, if you can, can you give us a run down of your day and how you use those apps. Only thing that goes thru my mind is you being in a room all day just messing with your phone. Ha, but anyways good luck fixing the problem.
    2007-10-29 01:40 AM
    are there even 80 apps out!!!!?? where??
    2007-10-29 01:54 AM
    I still cant believe about the 80 apps. Im just really curious, if you can, can you give us a run down of your day and how you use those apps.
    I'm still dying for a rundown, too.

C'mon...show how how exponentially more productive you are than the rest of us...that's awe you hear in our posts!
    2007-10-29 02:28 AM
    I was trying to do a rundown of all of the apps but thats going to take way too long and I have a paper due tomorrow. But I can say that during the past month when my mac has been and is still in for repair this "iPhone" has been my primary computer. (renamed Pocket Macintosh)

I have all of my textbooks run locally in safari using apache - so I have every textbook I use for classes on the Pocket Mac.

I will take all of my notes using the note.app and later organize it in the finder and convert it to a .txt file. (Typing is faster on notes.app due to the autocorrect which seems absent in the Text Edit App
    - I also take audio notes with the iPhone in classes when its more appropriate.

I can now manage all of my podcasts on the Pocket Mac using MobileCast instead of iTunes.

I use the sketchpad to quickly jot down some motifs over some staffs I have put in there when I come up with a new idea for a piece.

I use the flashcard app to learn my Music History info I need for the tests.

I use the MobileKoran daily in the class - Change and Tradition where we are studying Islam, and we are using the Koran and this has become the fastest way to scan through and best way to get at the information of the Koran.

There are many more applications and how I use them on daily basis that I haven't gone into but believe me when I say I use this as a computer and currently my main computer. So I have run into the 80 app limit many times and now have to be really careful about this limitation.
    2007-10-29 03:42 AM
    Wow!
    MyPhone is better than yours
    2007-10-29 03:45 AM
    I was trying to do a rundown of all of the apps but thats going to take way too long and I have a paper due tomorrow. But I can say that during the past month when my mac has been and is still in for repair this "iPhone" has been my primary computer. (renamed Pocket Macintosh)

I have all of my textbooks run locally in safari using apache - so I have every textbook I use for classes on the Pocket Mac.

I will take all of my notes using the note.app and later organize it in the finder and convert it to a .txt file. (Typing is faster on notes.app due to the autocorrect which seems absent in the Text Edit App
    - I also take audio notes with the iPhone in classes when its more appropriate.

I can now manage all of my podcasts on the Pocket Mac using MobileCast instead of iTunes.

I use the sketchpad to quickly jot down some motifs over some staffs I have put in there when I come up with a new idea for a piece.

I use the flashcard app to learn my Music History info I need for the tests.

I use the MobileKoran daily in the class - Change and Tradition where we are studying Islam, and we are using the Koran and this has become the fastest way to scan through and best way to get at the information of the Koran.

There are many more applications and how I use them on daily basis that I haven't gone into but believe me when I say I use this as a computer and currently my main computer. So I have run into the 80 app limit many times and now have to be really careful about this limitation.
    Wow. Keep on rockin'!

I find the iPhone to be a pretty adequate laptop replacement myself.
    2007-10-29 03:45 AM
    Yes as you can tell so do I: I'm just waiting for the day for there to be a tuner.app and a metronome.app for the iphone that would be amazing
    2007-10-29 04:03 AM
    Yea, my iPhone feels more and more like a mini mac every day. It boggles my mind that these little things can run an Apache server!

At this point I even have one of my desktops devoted to my iPhone. Its my phonedmg computer =)
    2007-10-29 04:34 AM
    I know for a fact 1.1.1 has a smaller partition memory for 3rd party apps.

Hmmm that's almost right... the 1.1.1 Firmware uses more space than the previous 1.0.2, which means we end up with less space to work with (that might be what you meant, I mean no offense, just clarification).

..and I don't think there's a numerical limit to the number of apps you install, rather the limitation is on available space on the 300MB OS partition. So you could conceivably install 90 or even 100 apps as long as they are small and you still have free space left.

There is a thread about performing a symlink to move your applications folder to the second partition, thus freeing up space on your OS partition. Once I dig it up, I'll post it here.
    2007-10-29 07:30 AM
    Ok thanks!
    2007-10-29 07:27 PM
    LINK TO THREAD

2007-10-29 08:28 PM
    Put this guy in an iPhone commercial... might take more than 30 seconds.
    2007-10-31 11:03 AM
    Mine is still 74 and it woudn't allow me to add more...

Mine is still 74 (excluding webclips - does it count?) and it woudn't allow me to add more...

Edit: Btw, my FW is 1.1.3
    Last edited by philgin; 2008-01-31 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-31 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD