one thing that I would love is the ability to tell webpages that the iPhone is just safari and not an iPhone. A growing number of sites are forcing iPhone formatted sites on us without the ability to browse normally. Is this possible? I am referring mostly to gmail btw.

Changing safari's user agent is what I was trying to say. The words were escaping me earlier.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by mattjp88; 2007-11-01 at 10:22 PM.
    2007-11-01 08:44 PM
    I've been wanting this as well. What tells the website that you are on an iPhone? The screen resolution?
    2007-11-01 11:19 PM
    The user agent, a string the browser sends the server as identification - hence the request to modify it.
    2007-11-01 11:51 PM
    Is there any way to change when & what the browser the browser sends out as an identifier string?
    2007-11-02 07:18 AM
    Looks like the User Agent text is a combination of a string from the WebKit framework and parameters passed from MobileSafari or OS X.

It may be possible to binary patch the WebKit Framework to change this to a new, static string.
    2007-11-02 11:08 AM
    has anyone figured out a way to change the iPhone's user agent yet?
    2008-08-12 04:24 PM
    Hi,
    Is there yet any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?
    Thanks.

-Darcness
    2008-08-30 12:57 AM
    I asked if anyone had any leads on this about a month back-- the silence was deafening. Good to hear that other people are interested in a User Agent Switcher for iphone.
    2008-08-31 12:41 AM
    math609 on howardforums seems to have figured out how to switch the iphone's user agent.

Only problem is he doesn't want to tell other people how he did it. Its driving me nuts... i dont think it should be that hard but I really have no idea how to code or anything like that.

Best lead i've got is this line in /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit :

Mozilla/5.0 (%@; U; CPU iPhone OS %@ like Mac OS X; %@) AppleWebKit/%@ (KHTML, like Gecko) %@

(thx to pegasus21 on hackint0sh)

Anyone have any ideas where to take it from here? im still on 1.1.4 btw
    2008-09-20 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD