It's very easy to do if you have SSH access to your phone.

If you have a Category called "Graphics", you'll have a corresponding app called "Graphics.app".
    Navigate inside that folder, and you'll see a plain text file called list.txt. Open that in any text editor, and reorder the list. Save that new list.txt back to the phone, and
    Respring or you can avoid respringing to see the changes by deleting the file "cache.bin" inside the app folder.

Here's a visual example:

Naked touch.app
    Photogene.app
    PhotoArtist.app
    CinemaFX.app
    geneBlender.app
    OldBooth.app
    Panorama.app
    TimeLapse.app
    DocScanner.app
    Brushes.app
    colors.app
    Attached Thumbnails Installed BigBoss "Categories" app, now have a problem.-img_0030.png  
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2009-06-09 at 07:02 PM.
    2009-06-09 07:00 PM
    I updated to 3.0 today and when I reinstalled my apps the ones that were hidden when my phone was previously jailbroken are missing, these are many of the ones I paid for any I do not want to lose them. I would normally just jailbreak my phone again and change it around but I cant do that as I'm on a Mac and 3.0 cant be jailbroken on that yet, anyone have any idea how to get these back?
    2009-06-10 12:24 AM
    Go to Settings->General->Restrictions

Toggle them on and then off again. That should restore your missing apps.
    2009-06-10 07:21 PM
    Go to Settings->General->Restrictions

Toggle them on and then off again. That should restore your missing apps.
    Thanks so much, worked perfectly
    2009-06-11 02:10 AM
    Ok, I'm screwed...

Did not know about the warning in Categories related to the Updating issue...

Went ahead and updated my 3gs to fw3.0.1. Jailbroke it, but still, all my apps in any of the Categories folders have disappeared.

Problem not only the main App Categories is in a Categories folder; but also Settings, ********** and most of the others are in there too. I can't activate 3G nor wifi. Only access to tweak folders is via USB. With DiskAid I can change content of folders so...

I'm hoping someone among you guys can tell me where to go to remove the Categories app temporarily, just to have my apps reload on Springboard again...

THANKS
    2009-08-22 05:17 PM
    Ok so most likely there i no fix and i am completely screwed, but i figured it was worth a try to see if there is a fix. So i jailbroke my iPod and dl'd categories and installed it on my ipod. I put a whole bunch of stuff in the folders and it was great. Then the problems started coming. My ipod started to run really slow so i decided to reset my ipod and get rid of the jailbreak. But, like an idiot, i forgot to take out the apps out of the folders. When i reset the ipod, it got rid of the categories app along with everything inside. So now these apps are gone forever. I cant find them and i cant redownload them because technically they are still on my ipod, it just cannot find them. So basically i am screwed unless there is some way around it. Any ideas?
    2009-12-08 09:53 PM
    Just restore the iPhone, then re-jailbreak, then install SBSettings. That utility lets you hide/unhide applications.
    2009-12-08 10:02 PM
    Reiterating what Fofer said, as long as you didn't put Cydia into a category, download and install SBSettings. It uses the same library that Categories uses for hiding and unhiding icons from the Springboard, and you can use it to unhide the icons. I had the same issue, but to my dismay, both the categories app and Cydia were already in a category that wasn't showing up on my screen at all. Had to do a full restore, which could have been avoided if I had installed SBSettings before reinstalling Categories. Oh well, live and learn.
    2009-12-09 11:58 AM
    I've got two questions. I got a new phone when mine bricked. After syncing and re-jb, reinstall categories, I noticed my old cat folders I created were back, but I'm unable to delete one of them. There's a space in the name, I.e. "useful apps" so I'm wondering if that's throwing it off. How can I officially remove this 'null' category? 2nd question, one app that failed installation multiple times is showg up multiple times in categories, but I can't get to that app, why is it showg many times, and how can I fix that?
    2009-12-16 04:36 PM
    Okay so I was using this app since saturday when I jailbroke my phone

not once did it show me the 'loading' screen

had to do a restore and re-jailbreak

now it's doing it everytime

any suggestions?

i really like this feature but its ruined by the loading image i'm getting for 5 seconds or so

anyone know why?

thank you
    2010-01-04 05:07 PM
    Okay so I was using this app since saturday when I jailbroke my phone

not once did it show me the 'loading' screen

had to do a restore and re-jailbreak

now it's doing it everytime

any suggestions?

i really like this feature but its ruined by the loading image i'm getting for 5 seconds or so

anyone know why?

thank you
    I'm guessing you had CategoriesSB installed prior to the restore. Try that and see if you get your old behavior back.
    2010-01-06 05:37 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD