well...the app bosstool v.034 is great...frees up some space..and might prevent the iphone from laggin due to the lack of space... BUT....once u move the stuff....it dosent provide options to move them bak..in the case of needing more music space..or w/e... not that were gonna need to move them bak right quick...but having the option would be nice.....

or..is there a way to do it..and i just dont kno yet lol
    2008-01-15 08:37 PM
    well...the app bosstool v.034 is great...frees up some space..and might prevent the iphone from laggin due to the lack of space... BUT....once u move the stuff....it dosent provide options to move them bak..in the case of needing more music space..or w/e... not that were gonna need to move them bak right quick...but having the option would be nice.....
    Moving the stuff back is a bad idea. First off, all the apps probalby take no more than 100mb - out of 7.3gb that is nothing. Next reason, after you moved the apps, you probably will install more and then there will not be enough free space on the small partition to move the apps back. After all, this is why you moved them in the first place. But if you want to move them back anyways, here is what you do in side SSH or mobile term:

1) rm /Applications
    2) cp -r /var/Applications /Applications
    3) rm -rf /var/Applications

If all goes well, you will have your applications moved back.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.
    2008-01-16 03:33 PM
    Hello, I've installed the bosstool and moved my apps with it. After moving them I can no longer update any of the apps via installer.

Any one else experiencing this problem? Anyone know how to fix it. Any help would be great.

One more question, if you move your apps to the other partition do apps installed after the move install on the smaller partition or the bigger one?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: Ok, this is just strange. I have been trying to update my apps for about a week now with no success. Today I figured I'd give it another try and for some reason its now allowing me to update. Before when I would try, it would act as if it was updating. It would download, then say installing and finally jump back to the main screen but, when I would go to the update tab all the apps I thought I had just updated still showed they needed to be updated.
    Last edited by Designer17; 2008-01-16 at 05:06 PM.
    2008-01-16 04:53 PM
    Ya,
    I was wondering who made this app and if we could leave them feedback on what possible to update.
    Like one great update could possibly be instead of moving all your apps it lets you choose which app you want to move that way it can be moved back and forth so it's easier to update your app in installer.
    Does anyone know if it moves the default iphonep apps as well?
    Because if it does a smart thing to do is restore then use bosstool for just the iphone apps then use installer and that should give a lot more space no?
    well thoughs are mythoughs
    2008-01-16 09:09 PM
    yeah...the ability to customize your own ways of moving apps and things..simple one click move..or something like that...but something noob proof.. currently you have a popup that says "are you sure"...which is good.. moving individual apps...is nice..cuz if your running out of space..you can just move a few ...if u want to fill ur ipod...move some bak..to free some space... bla bla etc.

yeah...the ability to customize your own ways of moving apps and things..simple one click move..or something like that...but something noob proof.. currently you have a popup that says "are you sure"...which is good.. moving individual apps...is nice..cuz if your running out of space..you can just move a few ...if u want to fill ur ipod...move some bak..to free some space... bla bla etc.
    2008-01-16 11:56 PM
    Moving invidual apps require much more work than moving the whole app folder.
    How big is one app? Not many of them is much bigger than 500Kb-1Mb and often much smaller. Moving a app and getting like 50Kb more on the system partition won't do much good.
    2008-01-17 11:47 AM
    I was wondering who made this app and if we could leave them feedback on what possible to update.
    Like one great update could possibly be instead of moving all your apps it lets you choose which app you want to move that way it can be moved back and forth so it's easier to update your app in installer.
    Does anyone know if it moves the default iphonep apps as well?
    Because if it does a smart thing to do is restore then use bosstool for just the iphone apps then use installer and that should give a lot more space no?
    well thoughs are mythoughs
    This is impossible. The applications move is an OS level move. The OS doesnt reallize that apps moved. Once it's moved, the old dir is a pointer to the new one. You cannot move only some apps. It's all or none and the move is permanent. What I mean by that is that installer and everything else will just automatically use the new location and will not know anything moved!
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.
    2008-01-17 06:24 PM
    But I hear if you do that you can't update the apps that have been moved or issues like that occur or is that already fixed?
    2008-01-19 02:06 AM
    i can update...works fine
    2008-01-19 02:26 AM
    I used bosstool once and it was great, used it twice and lost everything on my screen!!!
    2008-01-21 04:30 AM
    I used BossTool to move my wallpaper and ring tones with no issue. I went to move the apps and it ran quickly and the button did not change as the others did saying I have already moved apps. It appeared not to work.

So, I SSH'd into the phone and this is what I am seeing:

It appears that I have applications everywhere. I am not sure which ones my desktop is looking at.

Ultimately I want to move the applications to the new location. I assume I need to take them all back to the original. Should I follow your instructions up above or is there an issue here that you can see?

I appreciate the assistance.

-James
    2008-01-22 05:24 PM
    I have the same problem. BossTool was not made for 1.1.4 and BigBoss should of had, the App, on Install warn us. In info...of course like a dummy... I looked after about his warnings. Too late. And even though he has answered questions on the matter and is aware people have problems. He seems to not be making a fix to reverse the damage.

I too have an Applications folder in / I believe the correct location. I also have and Applications folder in /var and in /var I have and applications folder. so, /var/applications/applications.

I have deleted the extra applications and seems it had no affect on performance.

I would like to know. Where should the Applications Folder in 1.1.4 reside?

in /
    in /var
    or both?

please advise.
    Last edited by chriscoyne; 2008-03-09 at 11:55 PM. Reason: corrections
    2008-03-09 11:52 PM
    OMG!!!! Everythings Gone nothing works wont even load. I am very pissed that this app didnt warn about this. What do I do how do I restore?
    2008-04-14 06:08 AM
    I believe your application folder should only reside in "/" the top most directory. By default that is. I used this program with 1.1.4 and it didn't work, but thankfully it didn't create any extra application folders like it did for you guys. Anyone have a suggestion on how to successfully move your apps on 1.1.4? Bigboss, any news on an update? I've seen lots of updates for bossprefs recently, and I use that everyday. I used bosstool with 1.1.2 with no problems, but now I'm out of space again! Blasted partitions. Any suggestions will be greatly appeciated.
    2008-04-21 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD