This is a discussion that came up in another thread but I felt like it needed some attention in it's own thread. If you have, or are thinking about upgrading/purchasing KATE then beware because the developer has locked out the use of the FACELIFT modification if you are also using WINTERBOARD. The developer, ripdev, said that kate and winterboard are not compatible together so they (ripdev) actually lock you out of using any facelift/springboard modifications if you also have winterboard installed. You literally have to uninstall winterboard to get the ability to use facelift.

Here is my problem...I HAD a perfectly functioning 3G 2.01 running Winterboard and Kate side-by-side with NO compatibility issues at all. That is why I was surprised when I updated to the most recent release of Kate and they locked me out of using the facelift option citing "compatibility" issues with Winterboard. What is even worse, there was no warning prior to the install that this was going to happen and to my knowledge there were not any new features added in the update.

At least give me a warning page that there might be compatibility concerns and I should use both applications "at my own risk". But just give me the choice either way. I sent them an email basically saying what I have just said and asked them to either send me a link to the previous version, or submit a refund...because to be honest, everything but the 'facelift' option I can get through other FREE applications via cydia and there is noooo way I am giving up my Winterboard for just a few other very minor options. I encourage those of you out there that have also purchased a license (it's worth it for the FACELIFT option) and who are a little put-off by their recent update to email them your concerns as well.

***UPDATE***
    Here is the email that I received from ripdev in response to my inquiry.

Hello,

Unfortunately, both programs have similar functions and a principle of work, they cannot be compatible. Can be in the future there will be a joint decision.

Alex (alexxb5) Shirinkin
    RiP Dev - The iPhone Development Company
    RiP Dev: The iPhone Development Company

Seems like to me that this may be more 'politically' driven than actually 'compatibility' driven especially if you read into their last comment which said, "Can be in the future there will be a joint decision." And what does he mean, "...they cannont be compatible", that is funny because I had them both working just fine, so again makes me think there is some other motivation here. I am going to email them again because they basically didn't address my concerns and didn't respond to my request for a refund or link to previous version. It would be one thing if this were a FREE or cheap application, but when you fork over $45, crap like this shouldn't be going on.
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 2008-08-23 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-22 08:47 PM
    My kate works prefectly. If you dont want it dont use it? I like it because it doesnt effect battery or slow down my phone.
    Last edited by bbplayer5; 2008-08-22 at 09:11 PM.
    2008-08-22 09:08 PM
    I'm trying to make them work together : if i rename the "WinterBoard.app" to "WinterBoard2.app", the facelift fuction is back. But winterboard, even if it runs, dont work (no changes even if u can choose your theme).

Maybe someone can help us to modify some system files of winterboard to localize the new folder as "WinterBoard2.app" (for example). Because i'm pretty sure that the only way kate detect that winterboard is installed is that there is a "WinterBoard.app" folder in the applications folder...
    2008-08-22 09:39 PM
    My kate works prefectly. If you dont want it dont use it? I like it because it doesnt effect battery or slow down my phone.
    Did I say that I didn't like it? No! I said the new update (08/21/08) will NOT let the facelift option work if you also have winterboard installed. But before the newest update, mine DID work perfectly. And if I didn't want it, I would not have paid the $45.00 for it (purchased when I was still using 1.1.4 on iphone 2G) Try reading the full post before you comment next time.
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 2008-08-22 at 10:12 PM.
    2008-08-22 10:10 PM
    try using the app from cydia that allows you to change the names of applications. should re-allow you to use facelift and keep all strings attatched so winterboard continues to work properly.

whata bust tho
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4
    2008-08-22 10:41 PM
    It's more likely that it recognizes winterboard through it's bundle identifier.
    2008-08-22 10:46 PM
    try using the app from cydia that allows you to change the names of applications. should re-allow you to use facelift and keep all strings attatched so winterboard continues to work properly.

whata bust tho
    I've already try to modify winterboard's name using renamer : didnt work

It's more likely that it recognizes winterboard through it's bundle identifier.
    What u mean??
    Last edited by jaf2; 2008-08-22 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-22 11:04 PM
    The bundle identifier is in the Info.plist in the WinterBoard.app folder. You can see it after the line that says CFBundleIdentifier.

You could try changing that string to com.saurik.WinterBoard2 and reboot, and see if Kate still recognizes it. I bet it is using the application folder name since facelift came back when the application folder was renamed.

WinterBoard probably ties its dynamic load into SpringBoard through its folder name, so you would need to change those hooks as well to WinterBoard2.app.

The only one I see is the symbolic link in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries that links to /Applications/WinterBoard/WinterBoard.dylib

If you renamed WinterBoard.app and then fixed the dynamic link to point to the new location, than reboot, that should work I think.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-08-23 01:22 AM
    The bundle identifier is in the Info.plist in the WinterBoard.app folder. You can see it after the line that says CFBundleIdentifier.

You could try changing that string to com.saurik.WinterBoard2 and reboot, and see if Kate still recognizes it. I bet it is using the application folder name since facelift came back when the application folder was renamed.

WinterBoard probably ties its dynamic load into SpringBoard through its folder name, so you would need to change those hooks as well to WinterBoard2.app.

The only one I see is the symbolic link in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries that links to /Applications/WinterBoard/WinterBoard.dylib

If you renamed WinterBoard.app and then fixed the dynamic link to point to the new location, than reboot, that should work I think.

Winterboard works again, but facelift dont i cant understand why, since we rename the WinterBoard.app folder...
    2008-08-23 03:08 PM
    after a few emails with RiPDev support:

We work above compatibility with the Winterboard.
    Probably, it will be possible in the following version.

Alex (alexxb5) Shirinkin
    RiP Dev - The iPhone Development Company
    RiP Dev: The iPhone Development Company
    meanwhile... use a summerboard theme.
    all fine here.
    2008-08-23 05:11 PM
    There really is only one function that I like in Kate - the 5 icon dock. Freeboard had that for 1.1.4. but I am not aware of anywhere to get a five icon dock in 2.0.x other than with Kate. Any ideas?
    2008-08-23 05:25 PM
    Kate is the only option for now, I am as disappointed as you and many others are!
    2008-08-23 05:43 PM
    If you paid via paypal or credit card contest it. They will give you your money back! Got to love those Russians!! Even their president has an unlocked iPhone!
    Last edited by upstateiphone; 2008-08-23 at 06:17 PM.
    2008-08-23 06:14 PM
    I was PISSED OFF when this happened to . I thought I was being petty when them but now I see I'm justified. Rip Dev never even responded. I asked for a link to the previous version and asked why they did this .Facelift was the ONLY reason I bought it and until winterboard offers 5 docks, labels and SMS privacy I'm not sure how RIPDEV can say they are alike. Uninstalling WB without warning f'd up my keyboard. I'm really PISSED I'm contemplating a refund ( this will be the 2nd) I can't believe I trusted them again.

well they responded with the same generic reply. " they are not able to work together, we will fix this option in the next update" Hmmmmm ... we will see. Anyone know what's up with iblacklist? I bought that app as well and still waiting for a 2.0 version. I tried PYSL .. but it didn't block anything ... my husband was able to get through!!! what good us that???
    Last edited by ikitten; 2008-08-24 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-24 01:52 AM
    I have the 2g iphone and before the update, I had Winterboard AND kate running perfect! I was also shocked and scratching my head as to the statement that they are not compatible cause they are or were before update! I would love to get the link to downgrade to the previous version of kate.
    2008-08-24 02:04 AM
    Does anyone have the previous version, Kate 2.0b4? Please link for the rest of us if you do!
    2008-08-24 02:26 AM
    iBlackList will be available soon.
    2008-08-24 03:18 AM
    Does anyone have the previous version, Kate 2.0b4? Please link for the rest of us if you do!
    If you find it, can you please advise me? Here's my mail : [email protected]

I'll do the same thing for you if i find it!

Thx
    2008-08-24 04:00 PM
    kate totally isnt worth paying $45 for. there is one trick however that lets you use it after the trial expires. I suppose you can call it a crack.

its pretty damn simple too:

download kate
    start your trial
    the day your trial expires uninstall kate
    set your date back 1 day before you originally downloaded it (so technically 4 days back)
    reinstall kate
    redo your trial (it will say it expires on the same day you download it.)
    reset your date back to the original date
    tada kate is now working and it wont expire.

Now, i havent confirmed this as fully working or anything but kate is still up and running for me and my trial expired 3 days ago. *also, i do not take credit for finding this method out. someone else did. and be warned it wont work for everyone.*
    2008-08-24 04:45 PM
    Did someone found a solution?? Please let us know!!
    2008-08-24 06:35 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD