On 9/17/08 there was an update on Cydia for something. i have no idea what program or fill it was, but because i had it installed, i just updated it any ways. Now when i start Cydia, my bookmark page comes up. I select google then the program closes.

anyone having this issue? or can anyone tell me what the hell i updated on 9/17 lol
    2008-09-19 04:49 AM
    Have you tried restarting your iPhone/iPod Touch?
    2008-09-19 04:58 AM
    Yes im running 2.0.1 never had this issue before. well i did once but i installed a safari plug-in. i uninstalled it and it worked again. this time i now it wasn't a plug in. i think it was something like the Base Structure that was updated or the Mobile Substrate that was upgraded. i can';t uninstall these.
    2008-09-19 05:03 AM
    same issue for me.. i tried the command in terminal that the maker suggested to fix the issue however it does nothing

unless you want to restore, in the mean time you can download the app called myfox from cydia.. its a safari replacement and its pretty quick..
    Last edited by GrandmaPearl; 2008-09-19 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-19 07:41 PM
    yeah, i got the same problem. its the file:// Schema in Safari ...thats the name. it will not let my safari stay open. even after reinstalling 10 times and deleting it. going to try the myfox now
    2008-09-19 09:27 PM
    when i got a update for dtunes thats when my sarfari started acting up im having the same problems
    2008-09-19 09:38 PM
    i have the exact same problem i think. I upgraded something in the morning. it was definately not just a standard app (rather a supporting program), i think it was mobile substrate and 2 other things.
    Later when itried safari it runs and bring up bookmarks. as soon as i try to view a page it crashes back to front page (with a brief black page). Tried usual rebooting and clearing of history cookies and cache.
    tried uninstalling dtunes, file scheme, mobile substrate ( which also removes additional
    apps such as irealsms ,winterboard.
    still no change.

My firmware is 2.0.2 (5c1).

is the problem something to do with the newest mobile substrate being for the latest firmware? (2.1)

the windows quickpwn has just come out so i might try the upgrade this weekend to see if that solves it.
    2008-09-20 01:09 AM
    Yeah I think that's what it is... But I have to wait till winpwn is released, unless an update comes out.
    i have the exact same problem i think. I upgraded something in the morning. it was definately not just a standard app (rather a supporting program), i think it was mobile substrate and 2 other things.
    Later when itried safari it runs and bring up bookmarks. as soon as i try to view a page it crashes back to front page (with a brief black page). Tried usual rebooting and clearing of history cookies and cache.
    tried uninstalling dtunes, file scheme, mobile substrate ( which also removes additional
    apps such as irealsms ,winterboard.
    still no change.

My firmware is 2.0.2 (5c1).

is the problem something to do with the newest mobile substrate being for the latest firmware? (2.1)

the windows quickpwn has just come out so i might try the upgrade this weekend to see if that solves it.
    2008-09-20 02:01 AM
    Thanx everyone for your help. i';ll just upgrade to 2.1 tonight should fix everything

thanx again
    2008-09-20 04:09 AM
    i'm not sure if upgrading will solve the problem or not.

i'll probably upgrade tonight.

please post if it solves the problem.
    2008-09-20 10:15 AM
    Ah, you had local file browsing plugin for Safari, and you've updated it to File:// Schema for safari. Some other guy has taken over it and changed it quite a bit, and updating can break Safari. To fix it, perform the following operation as root:

ldid -s /Applications/MobileSafari.app/MobileSafari

That should fix it REMEMBER THE THANKS BUTTON

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫
    2008-09-20 01:58 PM
    Thanx Conn18. But i upgraded already. Cadguycad, yes upgrading to 2.1 fixed it. And let me tell u, it took 20 seconds to back up my phone haha love it!!!!!!!!!! But if you don';t want to upgrade, Do what Conn18 said to do!
    Last edited by rmsmerd0; 2008-09-20 at 04:56 PM. Reason: missed on topic
    2008-09-20 04:54 PM
    tried the fix but still the same.

Ive seen on other forums to login into root using "su root" and then "alpine" as password and also it has to be before you run safari , straight after a reboot.

i'm wanting to upgrade to solve this problem but theres a problem with gps locations not working in 2.1 and also using quickpwn could render the iphone unlockable in fiture (if an unlock is released. something to do with upgrading the baseband)

I'm not sure if these problems are out weighed by the benefits of upgrading. i can still use myfox for web browsing but i cant download using the safari plugin like i did before.
    2008-09-21 01:51 PM
    actually the plugin works for my on myfox for some reason... does anyone know where to get the stock MobileSafari.app ?

nvm, found it on the forums
    Last edited by GrandmaPearl; 2008-09-21 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-21 11:33 PM
    Ah, you had local file browsing plugin for Safari, and you've updated it to File:// Schema for safari. Some other guy has taken over it and changed it quite a bit, and updating can break Safari. To fix it, perform the following operation as root:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
    What does this actually mean? I am a serious noob and do not understand how to perform the operation? I can find the file path perfectly and see what is infront of me when i go to /Applications/MobileSafari.app/MobileSafari but i dont know how to ldid -s. If someone can explain how to do this it would be great and save me having to pay to upgrade to 2.1.
    Thanx
    Jamie

hi sorry i may have done this wrong, how do i perform that process?
    Last edited by jambof1985; 2008-09-21 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-21 11:44 PM
    I've manged to sort mine out using the method previously discussed.

(I think i might have missed a space whilst typing it in!)

i previoulsy tried reinstalling eveything using mobile substrate and the file scheme but nothing seem to changed.

How I did it.

1. Install mobile terminal from cydia.

2. Cleared cache, history and cookies from setting-safari
    (not sure if this step helped but didi it anyway!)

3. A full reboot of iphone (do not go into safari!)

4. run mobile terminal and login to root by typing

su root

and using the following as password

alpine

Then type the following line EXACTLY as written with capitals and spaces. all typed in at once, as one full command and press return

I then launched safari and it worked fine.
    Last edited by cadguycad; 2008-09-22 at 02:04 PM.
    2008-09-22 01:51 PM
    if you have trouble with that just delete the whole safari app and d/l a new one and set the permissions to 755.. that command didnt work for me.. i dont know if other ppl had success or not.
    2008-09-23 05:22 AM
    thanks i got it working
    2008-09-23 06:35 AM
    try restart or uninstall
    2008-09-23 10:20 AM
    i get the unexpected error token"|"

could somebody write the command but like this plz.....|did(space)-s(lower case)(space).......because i dont seem to write it right
    Last edited by marioleonteran; 2008-09-24 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-24 04:52 AM
21 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD