When I start the phone app it crashes and I can't call or dial any numbers..

when I use contacts app to phone someone, I can call them but I can't hang up..

I have the iPhone jailbroken on 2.0.2 (i think..) and it is unlocked. Sim is on Virgin Mobile UK

If ANY of you can help me this would b much appreciated..!

Thanks!
    2008-09-20 07:42 PM
    :S I also have that problem on my iphone 3G 2.1 Last chances were 3 updates from Cydia but I don't know which one of them could be related with this problem.

Regards.
    2008-10-13 09:03 AM
    this just happened to me this morning...i installed two apps last night, mobilefinder and docs. i was also in the middle of copying eBooks into my iPhone 3G 16GB 2.1 using OpenSSH/Fugu when it crashed. everything seemed to be working fine but when I tried calling this morning, same thing happened to me. I can make a call through the contacts app but the dialer keeps on crashing. and when I did manage to make a call through the contacts app, I couldn't hang up coz the dialer wasn't there.
    at first i thought it was winterboard so i took everything out but this hasn't fixed the problem. I uninstalled the two apps that i installed last night and that didn't fix it either. I deleted the eBooks I moved to the iPhone and that didn't fix it.
    Anyone have any other suggestions besides putting it in recovery and going through jailbreaking again?
    Last edited by saeca; 2008-10-21 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added some stuff
    2008-10-21 02:48 PM
    Hi guys! I've had the same problem, but wasn't really prepared to restore everything, so went on a mission to work it out...

The dialer crashes due to conflicts in permissions! If you SSH your iphone and go into applications you'll see the MobilePhone.app folder. Right click on the folder and go to properties - you should see something that says 'Permissions Octal' along with 0755. What you no need to do is go into the folder itself, highlight EVERYTHING inside it, right click, go to properties and change the 'Permissions Octal' value to 0755. Come out of SSH, reboot and the dialer should now be fine!
    2008-11-08 05:03 AM
    Its a program called "Kate" uninstall it, reboot, and it'll be fixed

~Danny~
    2008-11-15 08:36 PM
    Just fixed mine: Permissions 775- click "Set Recursively".
    2008-11-15 08:43 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I'm on 2.2, Jailbreak'ed.

I think the problem revolves around Kate as well, but I have uninstalled it and recursively set permissions to 775 and neither solves the problem.

One thing that may be different in my situation is that every time the phone boots, springboard crashes and goes into safe mode. Restarting springboard seems to work fine, but there may be a connection between these two problems.
    2009-01-26 04:05 PM
    i had an issue with kate.

if you look on installer there's an add on to fix your phone if you've uninstalled kate. that worked for me.

never did find out what kate was, as it didnt work for me, it just messed my phone up!
    2009-01-26 04:26 PM
    I was unable to make calls, which is a show stopper for me. So, I restored to original firmware and am now re-jailbreaking. I wish I had seen the Kate fix sooner. Thanks for replying, though. Hopefully it will help others.

Lesson learned: stay away from Kate.
    2009-01-26 04:29 PM

if you look on installer there's an add on to fix your phone if you've uninstalled kate. that worked for me.

never did find out what kate was, as it didnt work for me, it just messed my phone up!
    How do you find the addon to fix kate from installer? i looked but can't find it

Nevermind I figured out a way. Reinstall Kate. Go to settings, rip dev, products, kate, and uncheck every aspect of kate. This let my mobilephoneapp work perfect again.
    Last edited by spiderguy84; 2009-01-26 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-01-26 05:06 PM
    Where can the Kate Fix app be found?
    2009-02-03 07:59 PM
    make sure kate isnt installed, then:

start installer
    go to search
    type kate fix

if you can't find it, then make sure the following source is in installer: (go to sources, press edit, click the plus and then type the url in)
    Code:
    http://www.gpda.ru/r/
    Last edited by DavC; 2009-02-03 at 08:32 PM.
    2009-02-03 08:25 PM
    Hi guys! I've had the same problem, but wasn't really prepared to restore everything, so went on a mission to work it out...

The dialer crashes due to conflicts in permissions! If you SSH your iphone and go into applications you'll see the MobilePhone.app folder. Right click on the folder and go to properties - you should see something that says 'Permissions Octal' along with 0755. What you no need to do is go into the folder itself, highlight EVERYTHING inside it, right click, go to properties and change the 'Permissions Octal' value to 0755. Come out of SSH, reboot and the dialer should now be fine!
    On a MacBook instead of "Properties", click on "Info". You may just get "Permissions". In that case, I clicked on every box. I also did the same thing for all the files with the name 'dialer'. This may have overdone it but it worked. I also reset the settings and rebooted. The dialer is now working.
    2009-02-14 07:04 PM

Hey do you remember the name of the addon
    2009-02-17 02:32 AM
    Hey do you remember the name of the addon
    post 12 fella
    2009-02-17 11:00 AM
    I don't know how that damn Kate program got on my phone (along with some Rip Dev foolishness), but thanks for the help in fixing my problem guys.
    2009-02-20 09:13 PM
    Hi,

Kate has screwed my "phone app".

I dont understand how to change permissions in osx?
    www.gpda.ru/r

It can't find the repository in installer.

Can anyone please help? So I don't have to restore.

Thanks,

D

I have managed a fix.

go to installer, Install Rip Dev Preferences if you haven't already got it.

Then re install kate. Go to main Settings on iphone and there will now be a menu called Rip Dev.

Tap on kate in that screen and turn of all the ticks for kate.

Then go and unistall from installer again.

I wouldn;t go near kate ever again..

Cheers,
    Last edited by smdan; 2009-02-23 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-02-23 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD