There was an app on my Treo650 that I actually paid $ for. It was great, and it worked something like this.

If my phone was lost or stolen I could SMS my phone (from anyones cell or a SMS page) and send it a special text string.

I.E. - "esafe mypasswordhere"

Once the phone recvied this special password it would lock the phone and show a txt banner that you the user created (just text)

Mine said something like "This device has been sent a kill signal - reward if found - my address - my home phone number"

The only thing that could be done with the phone in that mode was 911 calling.

There were other options to have if erase your SD card when you sent the code, but I never used any of that.

This app is one of my fondest memories of my Treo.

point is - dont know how many people are aware of any type of app like this. I just want to raise awareness and ask ...think we could ever seen anything like that for the iPhone?
    2007-09-04 06:52 AM
    that sounds like a great app, I would pay for that too. Sounds very possible.
    2007-09-04 06:59 AM
    Wow- that is a genious idea. I would definatly consider paying for that. I would feel alot safer carrying around an iphone also.
    Sent From My iPhone
    2007-09-04 07:12 AM
    it should have tracking too
    2007-09-04 07:41 AM
    Thanks for hte "support" guys

tracking would be awesome too ... i just dont know how feasable
    2007-09-04 12:35 PM
    Because the iphone doesnt have GPS I'm not sure how possible that is yet.
    Sent From My iPhone
    2007-09-04 08:44 PM
    Because the iphone doesnt have GPS I'm not sure how possible that is yet.
    what are the odds our iphones will have gps in the futrue?
    2007-09-04 08:47 PM
    WOW...AWESOME APP...

and as far as tracking goes..

anyone use the field test?..*says what towers can see you..and what "station" the tower is aka location... hence.... "you are closest to tower 21 at station 34.... which could be translated to a location..
    2007-09-04 10:24 PM
    T

WOW...AWESOME APP...

and as far as tracking goes..

anyone use the field test?..*says what towers can see you..and what "station" the tower is aka location... hence.... "you are closest to tower 21 at station 34.... which could be translated to a location..
    That is true ..if someone could work some geography around the towers that sounds like it would work. Kinda like the whole "911 locator"

but not to get to far off topic .. i think my original idea would be esier to implement
    2007-09-05 12:54 AM
    T

That is true ..if someone could work some geography around the towers that sounds like it would work. Kinda like the whole "911 locator"

but not to get to far off topic .. i think my original idea would be esier to implement

yep...either way..a first good start would be the simple sms app.
    2007-09-05 01:47 AM
    iwas talking to some people about something like this last night. but right now they dont know how to do certain things that would be needed.. maybe 1 day .. (like lock out usb connectivity thrugh itunes etc.)
    2007-09-05 01:55 AM
    in my mind (im not a developer) A simple sms message sent to the phone would trigger the existing lock feature.

granted this wouldnt give you the "Reward if found screen" ...but it would deter use.
    2007-09-05 03:59 PM
    Try this?

http://iphone.natetrue.com/FuelUtils/

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-09-06 03:04 AM
    were do i find the com.fuel.weegee.plist file or do i just make it?
    2007-09-06 05:44 AM
    Hmm. Good question. I'd pop an email to natetrue.

2007-09-06 06:39 AM
    ...yeah... im not exactly understanding this app
    2007-09-06 11:35 AM
    Its not very polished yet.

2007-09-07 06:52 AM
    I dont think that there is a better idea then being able to find a stolen iphone
    2007-09-07 07:43 AM
    :shutters at the fact of losing the iphone:

I think that would be a great application. However, I think we could all agree that if our iphone gets out of our sight, its probably not coming back.

But it would still be great for locking out personal information and media
    2007-09-07 08:41 AM
    :shutters at the fact of losing the iphone:

I think that would be a great application. However, I think we could all agree that if our iphone gets out of our sight, its probably not coming back.

But it would still be great for locking out personal information and media

Actually ...this Treo650 app that amde me start this thread got my phone returned...

I installed the app ..played with it for a good while ...then forgot all about it.

My Treo got lost/stolen .... I would call it and no one would answer ..or they would answer and hang up.

I forgot I had the app on there for the better part of the day it went missing.

that night I remembered I had the app ... I SMSed my Treo from another cell phone.

next morning someone called my house phone (had my house phone # on the "REWARD if found" screen)

...and they told me they found my phone this very morning in a park...they were calling about the reward (it was obvious to me at this point that it was the same people that were playing games with my Treo the night before)

They lived 5 blocks away ...I played it cool ...told them there was a reward, went to thier porch ...they handed over the Treo and I handed over $20 .....yeah ...yeah ... i know ......

but the $20 to the theif was worth getting my Treo back.

....maybe this little story is why I love the idea of this app so much!
    2007-09-07 11:42 AM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD