User Tag List

I _loved_ the original Books.app for 1.1.x -- it had everything I needed. When firmware 2.0 came out, all of the ebook apps seemed to either have no formatting support at all or did not support white text on black background. ruBooks _supposedly_ supports this but the color chooser does not seem to function at all. I pinged the developer at one point regarding this and did not get a response.

Well, after struggling with ruBooks, I've given Stanza a try. I have to say, it looks like the most polished eBook app I've found. But since it's not really meant for a jailbroken phone, I am having a hard time transferring my own ebooks to it. I've tried "sharing" via Bonjour and the Stanza Windows client, but my iPhone doesn't pick up any "shared" books. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to simply copy the files to my phone via SSH or something. I can't seem to get the "direct download" to work either.

Anyone have experience with Stanza or, getting ruBooks colors to work??

Thanks!
    2009-01-07 06:10 PM
    I use Stanza and the desktop application. The only trick I've found is that you need to "enable sharing" under the Tools menu. Then open Stanza on the phone and click on "shared books." You should see your computer listed and the rest is self-explanatory. Hope this helps!
    2009-01-08 05:29 PM
    I use Stanza and the desktop application. The only trick I've found is that you need to "enable sharing" under the Tools menu. Then open Stanza on the phone and click on "shared books." You should see your computer listed and the rest is self-explanatory. Hope this helps!
    Actually I had to reinstall Bonjour to get sharing to work. Still, I have to open each eBook in the desktop client in order to share it w/ my phone, and that's the only reason I have the desktop client In a perfect world I could import them to my iPhone without a second application.

Thanks though.
    2009-01-08 10:16 PM
    Actually I had to reinstall Bonjour to get sharing to work. Still, I have to open each eBook in the desktop client in order to share it w/ my phone, and that's the only reason I have the desktop client In a perfect world I could import them to my iPhone without a second application.

Thanks though.
    Sadly, a second application will usually be necessary. Faster than the Stanza desktop application, though, is Calibre. It processes books in bulk, allows you to edit detail, and then when you are ready it will convert all of them to the ePub format that Stanza likes. I'm currently editing over 1,000 books: getting authors in place, correcting spelling in titles... calibre expects authors and titles to be in a particular order and many of the ebooks one acquires have those reversed. Its time consuming but ultimately worthwile if you have a really decent collection. Calibre is available for Mac, Linux and Windows.

calibre
    Last edited by kyteflyer; 2009-10-04 at 08:54 PM.
    2009-10-04 08:51 PM