User Tag List

Who else would like to see some kind of setting in sbsettings for games or something like that. When I play some highly graphical demanding games it tends to lag alot so i usual put it into safemode. Wouldn't it be nice if it was posible to quickly disable some of the mobiesubstrate hooks without putting it in to safe mode, then respringing it out of safe mode.

Is anyone else with me on this?
    Sent from my iPad
    2009-01-29 04:11 AM
    Hey I'm with you on this one! that would be great! I wouldn't mind if the were a toggle that would trigger safe mode but instead of saying safe mode on the status bar and the sad iphone wallpaper it could be like a gaming mode ^^ and the alert would be customized: "Warning you have just entered gaming mode, memory has been optimized for graphical applications, enjoy" xD besides winterboard themes also eat up memory =/ they make the phone lag a lot =(
    2009-04-28 05:24 PM
    This would be very cool. Right now I use the app called Memtool from Cydia. Just before playing a game I run Memtool to free all available memory. I have it loaded in my dock within SBsettings. It helps a lot!
    2009-04-28 05:46 PM
    You could just use the "Safe Mode" button in SBSettings when you tap the Power icon. For that reason it would be redundant to have a toggle for it.

But this is a very good idea.
    2009-04-29 03:48 AM
    This would be very cool. Right now I use the app called Memtool from Cydia. Just before playing a game I run Memtool to free all available memory. I have it loaded in my dock within SBsettings. It helps a lot!
    Yes, MemTool is a very nice app, but I can only free up to about 35 to 40 mb of space.... having an app that disables all mobile-substrate apps should give people up to 60 mb....

that would be awsome!!!
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)
    2009-04-29 03:48 AM
    where did i hear that if u free up more then 40mb, your iphone restarts by itself? hmmm,,,,i think in the apple store when the guy was demonstrating freememory in the appstore that a popup says that
    2009-04-29 04:11 AM
    You could just use the "Safe Mode" button in SBSettings when you tap the Power icon. For that reason it would be redundant to have a toggle for it.

But this is a very good idea.
    2009-04-29 04:18 AM
    I haven't run across an app yet that lags or crashes after running memtool, but that is not the topicof this thread.

So running in safemode...how do you get out of safemode afterwards? Respring or reboot? Does this disable SBsettings?
    2009-04-29 04:27 AM
    Just respring to get out of Safe Mode--that is, as long as the exception that knocked it into Safe Mode was just incidental and not something that occurs upon every respring.
    2009-04-29 04:41 AM
    It would be an intentional safemode so all would be good. Thanks IndianCheese!
    2009-04-29 04:46 AM
    I said "incidental," as in "happening once," "not recurring," etc., but I guess the same would hold up if you were going to it intentionally as well.

Like I mentioned above, just press the Power button in SBSettings (bottom right of the togglepane) and hit Safe Mode.
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 2009-04-29 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-29 04:49 AM
    where did i hear that if u free up more then 40mb, your iphone restarts by itself? hmmm,,,,i think in the apple store when the guy was demonstrating freememory in the appstore that a popup says that

This cant be right, I have DEFINITELY had more than 40mb free before.... it was 41mb which I read off of SBSettings... only once, but I got it... Should have taken a Screenshot of it. It was proud moment for me.

EDIT: Wahoo, Check this out!!

Kinda weird though... When I went into safe mode, I used iStats for iphone to check my memory because it looks like SBSettings is disabled while in safe mode, and it said I only had 30mb of free memory. Also, after subtracting mem use while istat was open and after i killed it with processes from SBSettings it was only about 8mb of ram, which comes to about 38mb free while in safe mode......

I got the 45mb free when I had resprung OUT of safemode. I do have to say though, RIGHT AFTER I opened SBSettings and it showed the 45mb free, it droped down to 40mb

QUESTION1: Does anyone know how much memory you have before you jailbreak?
    QUESTION2: How about Right after you jailbreak and only install SBSettings?

If anyone is planning on restoring their phone and do a little research and post the info here, it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

MrB
    Last edited by mrblader; 2009-04-29 at 06:23 PM.
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)
    2009-04-29 05:41 PM

If anyone is planning on restoring their phone and do a little research and post the info here, it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

MrB
    Ok so while you were away we all held a vote and elected you to do the testing on the memory use before and after restoring. We anticipate your results
    2009-04-30 04:51 PM
    mr b. - avail mem has really nothing to do with when you jailbreak or when you install an app. avail mem refers to the amount of ram that apps can use to run. the more you load, or the more apps you have running at the same time = less avail mem. you can search this forum, but i think the phone only has a total of 64mb of ram some of which is eaten by the phone app. the more you apps that rely on mobile substrate = less avail mem too. this means apps like quickgold, sbsettings, dock, or stacks will use ram. these types of apps can not be turned off through the processes widget of sbsettings, you have to uninstall them. same holds true for winterboard themes. if you want more avail ram, yuo don't need to restore and rejailbreak, just uninstall the apps that yuo don't use and rely on mobile substrate.
    2009-04-30 05:08 PM
    but i think the phone only has a total of 64mb of ram
    you´re wrong...Iphone has a total of 128mb of RAM
    2009-04-30 05:41 PM
    you´re wrong...Iphone has a total of 128mb of RAM
    i stand corrected.
    2009-04-30 06:13 PM
    can someone try to give me some suggestions/information about the safe mode?
    I don't know why I'm not able to put my iphone in safe mode. In past it has worked fine but now it take a lot of time to respring and after no result, I'm back in the standard layout.

I solve myself the problem... application overload!!!
    Last edited by Idos; 2009-05-03 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-05-03 10:41 PM