Does anyone know of any NATIVE iPhone Apps that let you sign on to Jabber/XMPP Instant Messaging?

I have used beejive/JiveTalk which is web-based, and the main problem is that it does not run in the background when you're not using your iPhone. It doesn't even have any sound/vibrate notification when you do get a message.

Thanks,
    Jay.
    2007-09-12 06:18 AM
    There are two IM clients currently in development, but so far they are just AIM. Both claim they will eventually support other IM networks, but jabber will prob happen after Yahoo, MSN and Google...prob in that order of development. You might think about switching over to one of the more popular IM networks if you want phone support. Its either that or web clients.
    Various 'Books old and new
    8 Giggity, Giggity, Gigg-it-y.
    2007-09-12 06:37 AM
    I think it will be much easier to write new native apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch once the development kit is released from Apple. I think I read they had a plan for a February 2008 release date for that. If I don't see a native XMPP client by end of first quarter 2008 I'll just have to start writing one myself because that will be an App I don't think I could live without.

- nobidon

The answer is simple. If you write a chat client that uses XMPP it is very easy to bridge over to the other major IM networks. For example, the OpenFire XMPP server has a gateway that can connect over to AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GoogleTalk, ICQ, etc. If you run that open source server anywhere on the Internet, you can connect your XMPP client to your own little server and bridge over to all the others. That's just way too easy not to do it. The other major vendors might want to just write a proprietary client just for themselves, but as an independent developer, I really wouldn't spend my time locking into any one of those networks when I can write one client and get all of them for free.

Whoever writes the first XMPP client for the iPhone/Touch will enable the entire chat space as long as you run one of those little bridging servers. Your other chat partners don't ever see that you're sending/receiving from the XMPP client. They just see you as logged in.
    Last edited by nobidon; 2007-11-07 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-07 04:22 PM
    Really surprised by this. I an see why apple don't do it - carriers like to charge for sms - but seeing as all the other major chat protocls are supported by mobilechat or appollo, i thought jabber would be too. it all seems to have gone quiet on this front since the end of last year. Anyone think apple is to blame? i would believe that if one of there had gone that quiet - but both?

here's hoping (and willing to pay ;-)
    2008-02-29 04:28 PM
    Does anyone know of any NATIVE iPhone Apps that let you sign on to Jabber/XMPP Instant Messaging?

I have used beejive/JiveTalk which is web-based, and the main problem is that it does not run in the background when you're not using your iPhone. It doesn't even have any sound/vibrate notification when you do get a message.

Thanks,
    Jay.
    Apollo.app and Chat.app

I am working on XMPP/Jabber/Yahoo Chat right now...
    2008-03-17 12:36 AM
    Apollo.app and Chat.app

I am working on XMPP/Jabber/Yahoo Chat right now...
    I can't wait till you're done. Both Apollo.app and MobileChat.app do not support jabber. Apollo comes closest, but it still won't let you customise servers.
    2008-03-19 07:39 AM
    is there any progress yet?
    Apollo IM project page says "This project is no longer the main project of the original developers, we are changing our focus to new software for the official SDK release. This does not mean we are stopping working, this just means that it isn't our primary focus."

AgileMessenger does the trick quite well. But it's closed source.
    2008-07-20 04:09 PM
    Saw this in a google search and figured there might still be some interest in this. I have released SworIM, a fast, free native XMPP/Jabber client. Its been submitted for approval in the itunes store. Follow my bog to get updated when it is approved and spread the word.

SworIM Blog
    2009-06-11 04:30 AM
    Just a a heads up. It is in the store now for free.

download it here:
    iTunes Store
    2009-06-16 04:19 AM
    I'm amazed that there isn't even one on cydia for jailbroken phones
    2010-02-26 12:34 PM
    Trillian does jabber/ xmpp - it does not run in background in the iPhone but by logging into the trillian astra server it will send you push notifications for 24 hours after you close the app
    2010-02-26 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.