View Poll Results: How much would you pay for the Extended Prefs Hack from the App Store in June?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't do it if it wasn't free

82 58.99%
  • $1-$2 is reasonable to me

24 17.27%
  • $3-$4 wouldn't be out of the question

8 5.76%
  • $5 if it is good

25 17.99%
    Because Apple has opened up Preferences.app and given me so much more that I can do, I am thinking about charging a very small one-time fee in June for the Extended Preferences Hack. Now, when you vote in this poll, please do not take into account any problems that you have had with this hack via Installer, since that will not be a problem with the App Store

I am thinking about these two things:
    (a) Releasing a watered-down but still useful free version, and then a pro version for $5 one-time
    (b) Releasing one version that you have to pay $2-$4 for one-time
    (c) Any other ideas that you have?

Vote in the poll, then choose A, B, or C to participate in this poll.

EDIT: I may have worded this confusingly. I meant vote in the poll, then make a post choosing A, B, or C from this post.
    Last edited by King Chronic; 2008-03-07 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-07 01:55 PM
    I payed 400 for my phone

60+ a month for service

I'm not paying 1 cent for any app.... lol
    2008-03-07 02:21 PM
    A once-off $5 seems fair to me.
    2008-03-07 02:50 PM
    i voted 5 dollars, if it was useful

a) seems fine. - covers all bases and pleases the freebie lovers too.

iphone is integral to my daily routine, so if i like something i wont be a cheapskate, i will pay up, i recently bought RIV DEVS caterpillar unlimited license since i liked its features.

and would consider buying software down the line.
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along
    2008-03-07 02:50 PM
    Nothing. Each of these mods can be done easily in a text editor.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-03-07 03:04 PM
    I dont think you can sell a app that mods apples settings in the app store :P
    2008-03-07 03:08 PM
    I'd pay absolutly nothing.

I dont think you can sell a app that mods apples settings in the app store :P
    Yeah, and he might have a point.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    2008-03-07 04:15 PM
    i would pay nothing too, BUT i believe if you put it as an option for people who would like to pay.
    2008-03-07 05:34 PM
    $0, final offer.
    2008-03-07 05:51 PM
    wrong forum to ask, i will be taking all apps even yours if you want me to pay for free
    2008-03-07 07:07 PM
    I really, REALLY doubt apple would allow such a hack to the settings app. In fact, I doubt they will allow any app that mods one of their "stock" apps....
    2008-03-07 07:14 PM
    here's what i don't understand. in the other thread you said you wanted to break even on you $99. But, you only need to pay $99 if you want to release it for money, right? You could maintain the status quo, work on this on the side and get what you can with donations.

now, if you actually want to make money, that is a different story

also, not to nitpick, but the last three choices in the poll, someone could agree with all of them.

"$1 is reasonable but I'd be willing to pay a couple more and up to $5 if it was good."
    Last edited by ab03; 2008-03-07 at 07:20 PM.
    2008-03-07 07:17 PM
    It wouldn't mod the stock app. U can make a extended settings app and icon. So that's possible. Ummm I would pay 3-4 one time but I would expect a very nice polished version. And it almost have to have summer board. But I love ur app. And I understand ur hard work. But who knows how iPhone 2.0 will work
    2008-03-07 07:20 PM
    wrong forum to ask, i will be taking all apps even yours if you want me to pay for free
    Huh? This is a modders forum, not a software pirates' forum. What impression do you have?
    2008-03-07 07:24 PM
    i would say go with A because it is your time spent editing and bringing the app to the masses to make their phones more feature filled. release both a watered down free app and then maybe the full version for around 5 bucks. so what people pay 65+ a month for their bills, they also spend 5 bucks on crappy coffee
    2008-03-07 07:29 PM
    thread moved
    2008-03-07 07:30 PM
    You see, you may argue that right now it can be easily done in a text editor, but I would like to make a few points

1. People still use it because it is not easily to actually find the additional options to enable and it is not that easy to do the editing if you are a beginner.

2. This will work a little bit differently in the app store. There is a way to get it working in the stock Preferences.app, the phone won't need to be jailbroken either. I can't disclose to much because I don't want it to get patched out of the final release requiring me to rewrite everything. I will say, however, that if they do wind up patching it out, many, many, SDK devs will be screwed over too...but I still am paranoid and don't want to chance anything

Well, after looking over the poll results plus posts in both threads, I've come up with this:

FREE VERSION: Basic things, probably including everything that is in v0.4 and v0.5i. Free

PRO VERSION: Everything listed above plus much much more, especially focusing on customization of the user interface. $1.99

I would still appreciate replies to see if anyone is strongly against this and/or has good reasons to do this differently
    Last edited by King Chronic; 2008-03-07 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-07 09:38 PM
    You see, you may argue that right now it can be easily done in a text editor, but I would like to make a few points

1. People still use it because it is not easily to actually find the additional options to enable and it is not that easy to do the editing if you are a beginner.
    Ah, so you just want to make a quick buck off noobs. To each his own man.
    2008-03-07 09:47 PM
    Ah, so you just want to make a quick buck off noobs. To each his own man.
    How about you actually read the text and not jump to conclusions? As I said, as of now, as in with a jailbroken phone at the current time being, it is only hard for beginners. Notice something about right now? Oh, that's right, it is free! Come June and 2.0, it will be much harder to implement, plus everything has to be rewritten from what I have now. It will require a lot of work. But still, as you have (hopefully) read, I am releasing a free version nonetheless.
    2008-03-07 10:19 PM
    So you're saying as of June, making the same alterations with a text editor is going to be alot of hard work? Your rebuttal doesn't quite stand up. But like I say, to each his own. You do your hard work, I'll stick with my text editor. No harm, no foul.
    2008-03-07 10:26 PM
43 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.