Okay.. How would you explain the fact that I re-installed EVERYTHING I had before and it works fine?
    poor angiepangie just doesn't understand
    2009-09-15 07:16 AM
    I love being right angiepangie
    And as we all know, you are 99% of the time.
    2009-09-15 07:25 AM
    2009-09-15 07:28 AM
    Everything angie and I had in 3.0 from cydia works fine in 3.1 once re-installed manually.
    Both of us had problems restoring a backup from pkgbackup.
    Angies went into safemode mine seemed to work fine but all App store apps just crashed on opening.
    Given the time it takes to restore we both opted to install out cydia apps manually rather than risk restoring from pkgbackup again.
    I believe all my cydia apps were up to date when backed up - although now I think of it, I did not do a backup immediately before upgrading - maybe that's the problem?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-09-15 08:35 AM
    But I did.. I bought the app right before updating.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-15 03:20 PM
    My two cents. I have always maintained it is necessary to install 'some' apps, allow Cydia to finish it's business, then reboot and/or respring before installing 'some' more. This always seems to be the best solution whatever OS you're running (Win, Mac, Unix, iPhone).

No-one really knows what those 'some' apps are, but I take a chance and assume anything that adds or changes System stuff should have a reboot/respring immediately afterwards.

I've been around this computer business far longer than I'ld like to remember. No matter what some might want to say, starting with a fresh boot is always best.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-09-15 at 03:59 PM.
    2009-09-15 03:50 PM
    After upgrading I let Cydia complete all updates before installing UltraSn0w then rebooting. I then installed pkgbackup before doing the restore.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-09-15 03:53 PM
    ^Same here.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-15 08:09 PM
    My two cents. I have always maintained it is necessary to install 'some' apps, allow Cydia to finish it's business, then reboot and/or respring before installing 'some' more. This always seems to be the best solution whatever OS you're running (Win, Mac, Unix, iPhone).

No-one really knows what those 'some' apps are, but I take a chance and assume anything that adds or changes System stuff should have a reboot/respring immediately afterwards.

I've been around this computer business far longer than I'ld like to remember. No matter what some might want to say, starting with a fresh boot is always best.
    Ive always done this with Winterboard, Categories, Five Icon Dock, Five column / Five row springboard
    2009-09-16 01:43 AM
    Lol. I don't even use those
    I used winterboard when I first jailbroke.. but now it's just a nuisance
    2009-09-16 01:55 AM
    ^+1
    2009-09-16 08:13 AM
    Can't you just use iPhone PC Suite to backup everything to your comp? It saves the list and you can choose to actually back up the whole app to your computer........ I would just like to know which folders contain apps and their data/prefs and then restore them after upgrading to 3.0.1 cz i have 2.2.1 right now on iPhone 3G
    Last edited by Kretenn; 2009-09-23 at 09:09 PM.
    2009-09-23 08:59 PM
    Kreten: I've never heard of iPhone pc suite. It can backup jailbroken and app store app data? Can it restore the data too? I'll have to look into this. Do you use it?
    2009-09-23 09:20 PM
    I regularly use iphone pc suite for installing some apps and many different things you have the full control of your phone through it without need for i tunes it has many options and things in it..... and yes it can restore you can also back up over network or one key transfer all the data to another iphone..... type it in google and view some screenshots to see the list of things
    2009-09-23 09:24 PM
    I just downloaded it. Can't believe it's free! I would pay money for this! Just a couple of months ago I was asking about a good iTunes like desktop client for backing up/restoring jailbroken iPhone data. Nobody mentioned this. Which is kinda weird since it seems to have been out for a year or two.
    2009-09-23 10:34 PM
    Yeah i would of paid for it too I've had it since February back then they didn't have english website and soft itself was a bad translation from some asian lang but now they have english website up and soft has had many updates.....it's great only prob I had with it was it wouldn't connect but that's cz my itunes was older version so idk how they are connected but you just need to have newest itunes installed also.... many great features like you can connect ur phone to pc suite and type your sms via keyboard... or iphone screen capture installing games directly from pc to iphone or creating ringtone and setting it from a mp3
    Last edited by Kretenn; 2009-09-24 at 02:26 AM.
    2009-09-24 02:22 AM
    Works with iTunes 9?
    2009-09-24 04:08 AM
    Yes I have iTunes 9.0.1 ....... there was an update to pc suite also every time there's itunes update

so now anyone know which folders should be backed up and which should be left alone? with iPhone PC Suite
    Last edited by Kretenn; 2009-09-24 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-24 01:45 PM
    So can anyone please answer my question?
    2009-09-26 08:08 PM
    so no one knows which folders in iPhone contain system files that shouldn't be replaced and which files for applications that can be replaced?
    2009-09-30 11:34 PM
156 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD