Ok nice way to contribute people all about i need this i need that but never give back by helping others
    2009-10-11 08:20 AM
    Could it just be that no one understands what you are trying to do so can't help?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-10-11 11:34 AM
    Could it just be that no one understands what you are trying to do so can't help?
    Make a direct copy of folders containing the apps to the computer and when finished updating iphone just copy all those folders back to the phone but without overwriting system stuff....... so just need to know which folders in the phone should be left alone
    2009-10-12 09:12 AM
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you. I've no idea myself.
    I just restored all my app store stuff from iTunes and all my Cydia stuff from pkgbackup.
    Now fully functional on 3.12 with minimal effort
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-10-12 12:58 PM
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you. I've no idea myself.
    I just restored all my app store stuff from iTunes and all my Cydia stuff from pkgbackup.
    Now fully functional on 3.12 with minimal effort
    ^^^ what he said. Blackra1n + PkgBackup = happy eballesq.

Also, you guys should check out Stack v3 alpha 2. Now supports four stacks and everything shows up in iTunes app management.
    2009-10-12 01:04 PM
    Alpha 2? You really shouldn't do alpha testing unless you are prepared to restore regularly and know the developer well.
    I don't like beta testing unless I know I can work closely with the developer.
    Looking forward to the finished product though.
    2009-10-12 01:35 PM
    pkgbackup works great, so glad i bought that app!
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 
    2009-10-12 02:19 PM
    Make a direct copy of folders containing the apps to the computer and when finished updating iphone just copy all those folders back to the phone but without overwriting system stuff....... so just need to know which folders in the phone should be left alone
    I'm a novice here for sure but it appears to me that you may be making something relatively simple more difficult. PkgBackup is wonderful and worth the investment ($2.00 I think). In restoring my 3GS after jailbreaking with BlackRa1N, I used PkgBackup, Chronus, and AppBackup based on information read elsewhere on this site. In all honesty, I am not sure that you need AppBackup and Chronus.
    2009-10-12 03:53 PM
    Yup. I'm so glad pkgbackup decided to play nicely with 3.1.2
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-10-12 05:56 PM
    I'm a novice here for sure but it appears to me that you may be making something relatively simple more difficult. PkgBackup is wonderful and worth the investment ($2.00 I think). In restoring my 3GS after jailbreaking with BlackRa1N, I used PkgBackup, Chronus, and AppBackup based on information read elsewhere on this site. In all honesty, I am not sure that you need AppBackup and Chronus.
    AppBackup only backs up appstore app data. Chronus will backup settings for the weather, stocks, camera roll etc... It also does back up app store app data although on a much older version it did not do app store ap data reliably. I think that aspect has improved but I ahve not personally tested it. Plan to try it next time I restore.
    2009-10-12 05:58 PM
    Has anyone used iPhone pc suite to restore all their data after a firmware upgrade or full restore? I'm not sure if I fully trust this program with my life. And you guys say pkgbackup plays nice with 3.1.2?that's good to hear. Have you guys run into any apps that don't work on the new firmware? I'm still on 3.0 and am really in no hurry to upgrade until I know everything will go smoothly. That includes the resyncing of my cracked app store apps.
    2009-10-12 06:06 PM
    Has anyone used iPhone pc suite to restore all their data after a firmware upgrade or full restore? I'm not sure if I fully trust this program with my life. And you guys say pkgbackup plays nice with 3.1.2?that's good to hear. Have you guys run into any apps that don't work on the new firmware? I'm still on 3.0 and am really in no hurry to upgrade until I know everything will go smoothly. That includes the resyncing of my cracked app store apps.
    seemed to save a good backup but it didnt want to restore correctly when I upgraded/jailbroke 3.1.
    2009-10-12 06:10 PM
    Yeah I don't know about iPhone pc suite. When ever I connect my phone to the program it deletes my contacts. They are easily restored with chronus or a quick sync in iTunes but it still makes me nervous everytime. I think I'll just use it backup my data and just restore everything manually through winscp. I still long for a good desktop program for managing jailbroken idevices.
    2009-10-12 08:20 PM
    Yeah I don't know about iPhone pc suite. When ever I connect my phone to the program it deletes my contacts. They are easily restored with chronus or a quick sync in iTunes but it still makes me nervous everytime. I think I'll just use it backup my data and just restore everything manually through winscp. I still long for a good desktop program for managing jailbroken idevices.
    Same thing happened to me with the contacts as well. A bit disconcerting but also found that Chronus /itunes sync restored them.
    2009-10-12 08:56 PM
    So you said you did try to restore all your data with IP PC S and it didn't work? That sucks. Did you use the backup it made and just ssh the data back over? Imagine how sweet it would be if pc suite actually did what it was supposed to do. Like if it changed the permissions and everything. That would be a lifesaver. But, as of now it kinda sucks. And most of the stuff is still written in Chinese even though I've changed the language to English.
    2009-10-12 10:37 PM
    Since iTunes is designed to save the Settings for the stock applications and the appstore applications, why does anyone feel the need for alternative backup systems?
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2009-10-12 11:01 PM
    So you said you did try to restore all your data with IP PC S and it didn't work? That sucks. Did you use the backup it made and just ssh the data back over? Imagine how sweet it would be if pc suite actually did what it was supposed to do. Like if it changed the permissions and everything. That would be a lifesaver. But, as of now it kinda sucks. And most of the stuff is still written in Chinese even though I've changed the language to English.
    I tried to restore the back up, it did let me run the restore with a warning that it might not be compatible with my firmware. Things like my camera, stock apps would either not open or freeze. I did ssh my backups teh "old" way as a precaution so I just re restored with my custom firmware and used pkg backup, appbackup etc...
    2009-10-12 11:58 PM
    Netimage: it's best to restore in iTunes as a "new" device whenever you restore. Especially when upgrading firmwares. Pretty much if you do a restore because you device is acting funny and you restore from the backup that was having problems, sooner or later you will have the same issues. That is why it's best to start from a clean slate everytime. It's much more of a pain in the *** to start new though....
    2009-10-13 12:31 AM
    Netimage: it's best to restore in iTunes as a "new" device whenever you restore. Especially when upgrading firmwares. Pretty much if you do a restore because you device is acting funny and you restore from the backup that was having problems, sooner or later you will have the same issues. That is why it's best to start from a clean slate everytime. It's much more of a pain in the *** to start new though....
    Ergo, if the phone didn't have any quirky problems and I was restoring or updating to a new firmware then it would be fine to restore?

(That's what I did and it seems to be ok, but I am wondering whether I should redo it, tis time setting up as a new device, and then restore - what do I know, maybe the battery is draining faster than it should or something)
    2009-10-13 01:30 AM
    Twitch: I've wondered that myself. I don't really know for sure. But I've always heard it's best to setup as new when upgrading the FW. Before I started jailbreaking I never setup as new. I carried over the same backup for almost 2 yrs with no major problems. Your call.
    2009-10-13 02:19 AM
156 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD