okay guys, here's the situation: i need help with editing permissions on the iphone side.

it began with my trying to save my games on my emulators (gpsphone, snes4iphone). so i found out that i needed to own the ROMs folders so that they would be allowed to write onto the phone.

however, i don't have a stable wi-fi connection at home, and the i keep getting a "connection timed out" error with both putty and winscp at starbucks, so i googled a bit more and ended up installing squid and mobileterminal on my iphone in the hopes that i'd be able to edit permissions/ownership on the iphone side, as my laptop is unable to interface with the iphone.

unfortunately, squid and terminal don't seem to be able to write to the phone either, as they are set to 755 permissions and are owned by root as opposed to mobile and so cannot change the properties of the files they access. on squid, i'm unable to click the apply button after editing permissions, and on terminal, the chown command results in an "operation not allowed" error for all the files.

i can't use either program to take ownership of either program, and so i am unable to use either program to fully access the filesystem. i can read, but not write.

i'm at a loss here, i'm at my wit's end. what should i do?
    2008-03-17 07:51 AM
    Can you create an ad-hoc wifi network with your comp? If you have a mac all you need to do is "create network" from the airport menu-bar. Im not sure how it would work on windows, though I assume one can. Then you just have your iphone connect to that network, check the ip, and login using ssh.
    2008-03-17 02:05 PM
    hmm i managed to set up an ad-hoc network through my vista laptop, and my iphone can detect it just fine. however, when i try to connect to it, i get an "unable to connect to network" error. do you think it's a computer problem?
    2008-03-18 04:07 AM
    sounds like a problem with your comp. I have been able to do it on my mac perfectly.
    2008-03-18 07:05 AM
    i'm guessing it is. one question: do i need to be able to connect to the internet to be able to access SSH? or do both devices just need to be on the same network for it to work? because i can probably connect both devices on my school network, but the iphone (given that it isn't registered) will be blocked from accessing the net. how exactly does it work? what if i set up an ad-hoc network through a wi-fi enabled laptop that isn't connected to the internet?
    2008-03-18 05:47 PM
    no internet connection needed. They just need to be on the same network, or, more specifically, on the same subnet mask.
    2008-03-19 03:52 AM
    i'll try it out with somebody else's laptop. thanks.

that was a bust. tried it with an XP laptop and a vista laptop. my iphone seems to be refusing connections.
    Last edited by e_p_a_k; 2008-03-20 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-20 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD