**Note: the Phone Finder has a new home at the official Phone Finder website!**

Hey guys!

As a thank you to to the makers of the Cerebro iPhone tracking app, and as a fun weekend project, I’ve created a php script that will allow users of Cerebro to easily retain and track their own phones' coordinates. It’s not exactly for the beginner, but if you have a web-accessible server and know how to set up a basic MySQL database, you can point Cerebro’s "URL of recording" setting to this script. It will not only record your location data but also display them in a super useful format readable on the web or with an iPhone.

One caveat: I’m not the world’s greatest programmer and I haven’t put any security features into this script, so use it at your own risk.

Also, feel free to modify the script to suit your needs.

Just download the attachment, unzip it, and open it up for instructions.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kepesk; 2011-07-27 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Info on a new website
    2010-06-22 07:50 PM
    Here's a new version of the Phone Finder. It fixes an Internet Explorer bug and adds some compatibility with Cerebro's LiveUpdates setting. To upgrade from the last version, simply replace the previous script file with this one.

Enjoy!

Also I thought I'd mention that I upgraded to jailbroken iOS 4 and ran into some problems with Cerebro. It didn't work at all at first, but I fixed it by reinstalling Cerebro from Cydia. Since then, I've noticed that it randomly starts updating the location once per minute, even when LiveUpdates are turned off. To fix this, I just toggle the LiveUpdates on and off, but it's only a temporary fix because the problem comes back, and I haven't yet found a permanent workaround.

Note that the Phone Finder script will interpret that bug as if you had switched on LiveUpdates.

-Jacob

----------------

Fix by brother's butt! http://www.fixmybrothersbutt.com/

----------------
    Attached Files
    2010-06-29 01:45 AM
    Here is version 1.5 of the Phone Finder script! It contains many needed features and bug fixes:

• Improved the visibility of the LiveUpdate color
    • Gaps in the data that exceed 12 hours will now be displayed regardless of whether or not the phone has moved, assuming the $interval variable is used.
    • Fixed a bug that could cause problems with the MySQL database if the script has been running for a long time.
    • Added map markers and table colors for the last three visited places.
    • Fixed a table color display bug related to LiveUpdates.
    • Added a table row color legend.
    • Added "1 Year" and "All" choices to the "Time to Analyze" menu.
    • Modified the LiveUpdates correction to also take into account the user-defined $errorCorrect accuracy multiplier variable.
    • Minor interface enhancements.
    • Slightly increased the accuracy of LiveUpdate detection

If you use the script and enjoy it, please consider helping me out in an effort to get my brother a needed surgery:
    http://www.fixmybrothersbutt.com/
    Fix My Brother's Butt is a stupidly funny campaign with the goal of getting my brother's botched butt surgery fixed. In mid 2009, my brother had surgery to remove a cyst from his tailbone, but it was more or less screwed up and now he has trouble sitting. Lucky for him his brother is a supernerd with way too much time on his hands, so now he has a website dedicated to his butt. Check it out and spread the word!

-Jacob
    Attached Files
    2010-08-07 12:44 AM
    Announcing the Phone Finder 2.0!
    This is a major revision of the Phone Finder tracking softeare for Cerebro that includes:

- Identification of the street addresses where the phone is located and where it has spent time in the past
    - Automatic MySQL table setup to greatly improve ease of installation (this wonít affect current installations)
    - Numerous fixes to many glaring bugs about which I am actually a bit embarrassed

To use it, just download and unzip the attachment and open the file in a text editor for instructions.

Iíve also done some more work trying to figure out the constant update bug with Cerebro installations on iOS4, but I have made little progress. I havenít even been able to nail down any pattern to its appearances. I havenít given up yet, but Iím hoping more and more that Cerebro 2.0 is still under development and will help. At this point, Iíd be willing to pay money for a fix.

-Jacob
    Fix My Brother's Butt!
    Attached Files
    2010-08-24 01:58 AM
    I know I just posted 2.0 yesterday, but an hour after I posted it, I noticed a nasty bug in the script that prevented the red phone location marker from being displayed on the map in certain circumstances. This version, 2.01, provides a fix to that bug and also some efficiency improvements.
    Attached Files
    2010-08-24 07:16 PM
    I have installed Cerebro 1.1 on my iPhone 3GS with iOS4.1 and set up your script on my WebServer.

I have noticed a few comments about problems with the app crashing the phone and battery drain.

So far I have not noticed either problem with two days use.

What problems should I be seeing?
    2010-11-18 12:44 PM
    You're very lucky then! Or maybe it's 4.1. I'm still running 4.0 since I'm an Ultrasn0w unlocker and the Dev-Team hasn't released a version of their 4.1 jailbreak tool that will work with my older PowerPC mac.

In any case, if you were having the issue, it would be very obvious. I think you're good!

-Jacob
    2010-11-18 06:02 PM
    Good news! Phone Finder is now available for use with TWO services! Along with Cerebro 1.1, the Phone Finder can now be used with the Device Locator app, available in the App Store for non-jailbroken phones! Along with this announcement, I am releasing version 2.1 of the Phone Finder script. Among the other changes are:

• Improved the speed and memory usage of the code that reads the coordinate and cache tables.
    • Decreased the amount of loading text printed while geocoding and broke it up with spaces.
    • Improved (but did not quite perfect) consolidation of same-address coordinates for correction of Google reverse-geolocation errors.
    • Added 2 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months time interval options.

The new version of the script is available below.

Please be aware that I am still tuning the script for use with Device Locator, so gap detection and live update detection may behave unpredictably with this version.

One note about Cerebro: I have explored various options to make this script compatible with Cerebro 2.0. As it stands, it can be done, but it would increase the complexity of Phone Finder significantly and would make several of this script's features next to useless. This is due to a changes in how and when Cerebro 2.0 collects location data and how that data can be distributed to third party servers. However, I like Cerebro and the work that is done by Upscale River, so I will continue exploring the possibility of making a future version of the Phone Finder compatible with Cerebro's new scheme.
    Attached Files
    2010-12-27 11:20 PM
    I know it has been a while, but I have been working on a truckload of changes to the Phone Finder script, and today I'm releasing it as Version 2.5! Here are just a few of the changes I made:

• Major overhaul of the code to improve how information about a set of coordinates is grouped. This will make these and future changes easier to implement.
    • Greatly improved the script's ability to pick out and consolidate the best coordinates, making the map markers much more accurate and vastly improving the accuracy of the address table.
    • Color-coded the map markers and address table to make it easier to see which address is which.
    • Color-coded the coordinates table to match the address table. This makes it easy to see exactly when the device stayed at particular frequently-visited addresses.
    • Removed Live Updates functionality since it was being inappropriately triggered by coordinate updates due to cell tower switches. This may return in the future.
    • Much more!

As always, feel free to spread it around! And if you like it, all I ask in return is that you consider visiting the fundraising website for my brother's surgery, FixMyBrothersButt.com!

Cheers!

-Jacob
    Attached Files
    2011-03-01 06:18 PM
    Two quick announcements:

1. The Phone Finder has been updated to version 2.7! The new version represents a major rewrite of the Phone Finder code. I'm not exactly a professional programmer, so I needed to go back and correct some design missteps to allow for easier future development of the script. Also included are the following features:

• Slightly reduced memory requirements.
    • Corrected an error that cropped up when there was an ampersand in an address.
    • Corrected an error that occurred when two gathered coordinate sets with different accuracies were combined.
    • Slightly increased the default and recommended $errorCorrectCell values to correct for observed inaccuracies.
    • Added a step to eliminate inaccurate coordinates that were likely derived via wifi by a stationary device.
    • Corrected a bug in the address table that caused duplicate entries.
    • Corrected a bug that caused coordinates without addresses to be analyzed for the address table.

2. This and all future Phone Finder updates that I write can now be found at the new Phone Finder website, which I have set up as part of my business, Savvy Duck Computers. Not to fret though; Phone Finder is GPL-licensed, and I will never charge for it.

Thank you for your support!

-Jacob
    2011-07-27 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD