I may have a theory on how to accomplish this now that i have access to the accessories needed to make it work.

What i plan on doing is using the new beat phone app to emmit the IR signal sound through a custom made IR transmitter that fits into the sound port.

Example:

I recorded the sound of the ir command through an ir reciever on my computer, lets say its the power command, and now i replace one of the soundbytes that are on the beatphone.app with the power.wav ir signal sound, and then i hit the button that has that sound i replaced it with on the beatphone.app, with my custom made ir transmitter that fits into the headphone jack, the sound gets sent to that, thinking its headphones and sends the sound via custom infrared attachment on the sound port instead, hence it should turn on or off the tv by pushing the sound button on the beatphone.app

I will try out this theory, as soon as i can get to the electronics store to pick up an infrared transmitter head, hopefully tomorrow.

If it works i will put up a youtube vid
    2007-10-10 03:23 AM
    I know nothing about IR, but the theory behind this sounds very freaking rad! Is there a device already out there that plugs into a headphone jack to produce IR? And for that matter, how do you convert sound (.wav's I guess?) to IR?
    2007-10-10 03:53 AM
    I know nothing about IR, but the theory behind this sounds very freaking rad! Is there a device already out there that plugs into a headphone jack to produce IR? And for that matter, how do you convert sound (.wav's I guess?) to IR?
    Well what you do is get a mic and chop the head off of it and splice an IR reciever to it, plug it into the mic port on your pc, press a key on your tv remote while using a sound recorder on your pc, thats how you get the sound to the computer.

Then get some headphones, cut the earbuds off of those, splice it to an IR transmitter, and plug it in to the headphone port of the iphone.

Just transfer the .wav recorded, to the beatphone.app and replace a sound that you can play by tapping it.
    2007-10-10 04:15 AM
    2007-10-10 04:25 AM
    thats the exact guide i was going to use
    2007-10-10 04:26 AM
    thats a good idea.. if it works with garage door ir sounds ill actually make a universal garage door opener app
    2007-10-10 05:24 AM
    I think garage doors run off RF not IR.......
    2007-10-10 05:41 AM
    LOL thats a funny idea i hadnt thought about a garage door opener, too bad there not ir though :/

check this out, its a layout of what im gonna use the buttons for

Well i cant get the transmitting part to work, but i got the receiving part to work, im either encoding the .wav file wrong or the transmitter isnt put together right :/
    Last edited by Jonny202003; 2007-10-11 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-11 04:13 AM
    nice!
    2007-10-11 04:21 AM
    this idea is pretty awesome what dir is the beatphone app sounds in? I'm down to try this tomorrow after work
    to make it a universal would i cut and put multiple sounds for the same thing on one track?

o and jonny if its not working properly through the beatphone app can you set it as a ringtone or is the only supported format for that mp3?
    -noob who likes to mod =D
    2007-10-12 04:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD