User Tag List

I've just uploaded an updated MACalc to http://web.newsguy.com/marcio/iphone/macalc/.

Over time I will add more functions to it.
    2007-11-24 05:13 PM
    What RPN calc have you been using???
    Just press Fix and the # of decimal places you want to show, and you get that many displayed. Calculations use full precision.
    There's no fix button on the 48G. Sounds semi-familiar from my 11C days, but I don't remember ever having to change it...

Great app, I am in the process of replacing the stock calculator app with this now!
    2007-11-24 05:48 PM
    Can we get this on the MMi installer repo?
    2007-11-24 06:45 PM
    Okay, this is soooo cool!!! Well done. This is has got to be one of the most useful if not THE most useful. I love it. So I made a skin for this and if the author is interested, I'll be happy to make it available as the default skin. I don't want no credit, I just want a cool scientific calculator and this one is it.

Last edited by armadillo; 2007-11-25 at 03:13 AM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2007-11-24 09:47 PM
    I LOVE this thing, I have been waiting for this since the day the iPhone came out, and here it is! Sweet!
    2007-11-25 06:56 AM
    Okay, this is soooo cool!!! Well done. This is has got to be one of the most useful if not THE most useful. I love it. So I made a skin for this and if the author is interested, I'll be happy to make it available as the default skin. I don't want no credit, I just want a cool scientific calculator and this one is it.

Very nice skin indeed!

I am the MACalc developer.

I am planning to add skin support to MACalc. The idea is to have multiple skins on separate directories that you can choose in the config view.

If you send me your skin I will add it to MACalc.
    2007-11-25 11:03 AM
    Just one more question -- how do I make a donation? Although I've tried out just about every iPhone native app there is, this is the only one that's useful enough to make me want to 'buy' it.
    2007-11-25 02:17 PM
    This calculator is sooo great ! I was already looking for something like this on my old HTC Blue Angel, but having it on my iPhone is absolutely great. With this, the original calculator can be dropped completely. I am an old HP 15C user, so this is an absolute gift to me.
    To all the parenthesis-lovers I can say : Please invest ONE DAY in learning RPN ! This will be the best investment you have ever made in your whole life. I agree, if you are used to AES, RPN is absolutely strange at first. But as soon as you are used to it, you ask yourself why you ever used this old AES, having to remember parenthesis all the time. Try it, give it a chance - and love it !
    2007-11-25 06:49 PM
    this is what I have been waiting for - excellent work!!! I just have a rather stupid question:
    Get the MACalc.app transfered to the iphone but i don't know how to chmod. Do I use terminal on iphone or mac? What do I have to type in there in detail? Could not activate the MACalc in 1.1.2 so far. Thanks for help and this fantastic site.

Andreas
    2007-11-25 08:31 PM
    armadillo,
    Dude, your graphics/skins are awesome! Plz make it available. The calc is a very useful app Thanx
    2007-11-25 09:12 PM
    I just love RPN, but in order for this to make it more palatable to the non-RPN folks, may I suggest to add some more percentage one-tappers? We already have [%], but it would be nice to have [∆%] and [%T] and may be [+%] and [-%]. To illustrate the usefulness of this, see the following:

1. For example, to find 15% of 120, enter: [120] [Enter] [15] [%] = 18 (this is included).

2. It would be nice to be able to add or subtract the percentage from a value. So for example to add/subtract the percentage to/from the original value you could use [+%] or [-%]. Yes, I know you can Dup and Sto (this is just for the regular Joe, not the RPN wizards).

3. To calculate the percentage difference between two values you could have a [∆%] button: [90] [Enter] [135] [∆%] = 50

4. Finally, let us calculate what percentage one value is of another. If you want to know what percentage 90 is of 120, you would use the [%T] function: [120] [Enter] [90] [%T] = 75

May be this and a few other useful one-tappers that people would like to see could be accomplished by adding another Fn toggle.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2007-11-25 09:15 PM
    Thanks for this fantastic app! One request: It would be nice to be able to store our preferred startup mode, so that those of us primarily using the hex or binary calc could get there automatically.

OK, one more request: Please let us use armadillo's fabulous skin ASAP!

Thanks to you both!
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2007-11-25 at 09:44 PM.
    2007-11-25 09:36 PM
    this is what I have been waiting for - excellent work!!! I just have a rather stupid question:
    Get the MACalc.app transfered to the iphone but i don't know how to chmod. Do I use terminal on iphone or mac? What do I have to type in there in detail? Could not activate the MACalc in 1.1.2 so far. Thanks for help and this fantastic site.

Andreas
    I would suggest using MobileFinder on the iPhone. Browse to the Application directory and modify the MACalc file - turn on the three Executable options.

To use terminal on the mac you must have SSH turned on and use on SSH client to telnet to the iPhone over WiFi.

To use terminal on the iPhone, you would cd /Applications/MACalc.app and then chmod 755 MACalc

2. It would be nice to be able to add or subtract the percentage from a value. So for example to add/subtract the percentage to/from the original value you could use [+%] or [-%]. Yes, I know you can Dup and Sto (this is just for the regular Joe, not the RPN wizards).

3. To calculate the percentage difference between two values you could have a [∆%] button: [90] [Enter] [135] [∆%] = 50

4. Finally, let us calculate what percentage one value is of another. If you want to know what percentage 90 is of 120, you would use the [%T] function: [120] [Enter] [90] [%T] = 75
    2. I'm not sure it takes a wizard - you just have to plan ahead a little. I would suggest 20 [Enter][Enter] 5 [%] [+] - you see the percent, then you see the total.

3. I think some HPs have this

4. I'm not sure this is so much better than 90 [Enter] 120 [/] ?

And your skin is great.
    Last edited by NetMage; 2007-11-26 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-26 05:30 AM
    does this support graphing
    2007-11-26 05:31 AM
    No

BTW, there seems to be a bug in the ClearX function - sometimes it takes 15 seconds to clear X, sometimes 3 seconds. Try typing in 2563, press About, Press OK, then hold DEL down.

Something similar can happen with About - hold About down until Config screen shows, press Float, hold About down again and it takes 11 seconds for the Config screen to show up.

I think 1 second is more than long enough for both.

Also there is a bug in LastX, using Armadillo's sample, try 20 [Enter] 5 [%] [LastX] - see 0. That should be 5.
    Last edited by NetMage; 2007-11-26 at 05:39 AM.
    2007-11-26 05:35 AM
    NetMage: Take a step back and consider the folks that have never used RPN. Regarding #2: as I said, I can Enter-Enter (=DUP), but it would be less of a barrier for folks if they could just type the commands with one tap. As to #4, you would end up with .75 (again, I know that math-savvy people will have no problems, but classical calculator folks may be drawn to this if the functions are made available)
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2007-11-26 05:55 AM
    does this support graphing
    Not yet

No

BTW, there seems to be a bug in the ClearX function - sometimes it takes 15 seconds to clear X, sometimes 3 seconds. Try typing in 2563, press About, Press OK, then hold DEL down.

Something similar can happen with About - hold About down until Config screen shows, press Float, hold About down again and it takes 11 seconds for the Config screen to show up.

I think 1 second is more than long enough for both.

Also there is a bug in LastX, using Armadillo's sample, try 20 [Enter] 5 [%] [LastX] - see 0. That should be 5.
    LastX bug fixed, get version 0.0.5

I am aware of the timing issue for "push and hold" keys but it is a bit more difficult to fix. I wait for the key to send me a second "keyPressed" message. Sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it takes longer.

armadillo,
    Dude, your graphics/skins are awesome! Plz make it available. The calc is a very useful app Thanx
    MACalc with armadillo's skin can be downloaded from http://web.newsguy.com/marcio/iphone/macalc/
    Last edited by buzios; 2007-11-26 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-26 01:36 PM
    Full disclosure: I was about to work on a HP 35s emulation before this came out. Though that looks like a lot of work.

Can you tell me how you are using keyPressed with graphical buttons?
    2007-11-26 11:55 PM
    Full disclosure: I was about to work on a HP 35s emulation before this came out. Though that looks like a lot of work.

Can you tell me how you are using keyPressed with graphical buttons?
    It is no really "keyPressed" but a button event.

MACalc buttons are UIPushButton with custom bitmaps.

UIPushButton sends you a series of "buttonPressed" events while the button is pressed and a single "buttonReleased" event when it is released.

The problem is that the series of "buttonPressed" events are not sent at regular intervals. You receive one "buttonPressed" event when the button is pressed but further "buttonPressed" events seems pretty random.

I will fix the timing problem problem using a HighResolution timer that will be triggered by the first "buttonPressed" event and stopped when I receive a "buttonReleased" event. That way the behavior will be predictable.
    Something like:
    If the button was pressed for less than 0.5 secs, delete a single digit else erase all digits.
    2007-11-27 01:02 AM
    Here's an alternative:

1. Delete digit: as is, press delete key
    2. Delete X: Double-tap delete key
    3. Delete Stack: swipe across LCD (as most delete functions work on the phone).
    3. Rename the About button to "Pref" and put the About info into the Prefs page or use double-tap for Prefs. As an alternative, you could put the About info into the Default LCD area, since it takes a few secs before the calculator is initialized. That way, you don't need an About info at all.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2007-11-27 01:42 AM
89 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD