my review on the new gameboy advanced emulator for iphone

well...to start off... im loving the setup:

maby with a little work we can fix the dpad...to maby have more of a track pad like the nintendo emulator...so we can just slide our fingers to the direction..for now its just on a tap basis.. and reconfigure the keys and such for easier TAPPABILITY.

this version also emulates the games alot better then the preavious version. *noticable*

good job guys! keep it up
    2007-12-01 07:06 PM
    Delete the controller skin and its a bit more easy to deal with (who needs it really - intuition!)

However, i do not like the lack of portrait mode ..

Doesnt use iPhone's potential for hardware scaling (just doubles pixels)

No mute, or volume option ...

No navigation to main screen ...

And renders some games impossible since you thumbs are always covering characters

But - work in progress - i guess !!
    2007-12-01 07:16 PM
    games wont load on my iphone now, do i need a new gba_bios.bin or something ? last version loaded roms without problem

i have my apps moved to the media partition, dont know if that matters.
    2007-12-01 10:40 PM
    downloading now
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2007-12-01 at 10:52 PM.
    iLive an iLife
    2007-12-01 10:43 PM
    not a fan of the new version. why isnt the widescreen mode an OPTION instead of making us use it, like in the NES emulator? also, the main menu loads weird for me. the header is actually at the bottom...

i'm also not happy with not having a mute option anymore.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad
    2007-12-01 10:46 PM
    you guys talking ****
    with your oh i am not a fan ,or why cant i pick the view shut up and be happy you even have the chance to use it quit being so ungreatful

HEW EVER BUILT THIS IT GREAT YOU SHOULD BE PROUD

THANKS
    2007-12-02 12:55 AM
    The download link is:
    http://www.zodttd.com/images/fbfiles...hone_1_0_0.zip

What's new:
    (from the readme.txt)

Changes 1.0.0:
    - Switched to using fullscreen landscape view
    - Added transparent overlay for improved controls
    - Fixed some of my changes back to Exophase's dynarec code.
    - Improved performance in some areas of some games. This may be offset by the more intensive rendering to screen.
    - Added 8way dpad support and A+B button (bottom right corner) for combo support.

Pending Issues:
    - Screen is a bit faded out from landscape mode controller overlay
    - Dropped portrait support.
    - The 8way dpad is a little too small for some users. It will be adjusted for larger thumbs soon.
    - Save states in some games will crash. Try not to save very early into playing a game to avoid this bug.
    - Bugs are bound to be found. They will be fixed as asap.

Tips:
    - Place your thumb in the center of the 8way dpad and move the direction you want to go in. This works best.
    - Use USA region games as they tend to go faster in gpSPhone due to gpsp_config.txt file configuration for game's idle loop elimination (an optimization).
    - Need help? Use the forums at www.zodttd.com ...official home of gpSPhone.

Installation:
    YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT gba_bios.bin FILE INSTALLED FOR THIS EMULATOR TO WORK!
    After you install gpSPhone, you MUST set the GPSP file's permission to 0755! Otherwise it won't run! This will be solved when it get's on an Installer.app repository.
    It requires a bit of installation.
    - Unzip the gpSPhone.app directory to /Applications
    - Change the "gpSPhone" file's permission to 0755 using a tool such as WinSCP
    - Place gba_bios.bin (GBA BIOS) in /Applications/gpSPhone.app/
    - Make sure there is the following directory on your iPhone / iTouch, if not create it: /var/root/Media/ROMs/GBA
    - Place roms anywhere on iPhone / iTouch but preferabbly in the default file selection directory: /var/root/Media/ROMs/GBA

About the bios (from Exophase's PSP's gpSP readme.txt) ...

Q) How do I know I have the right BIOS?

A) If you have md5sum you can check if it has this hash:
    a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6
    That BIOS should work fine. I think that some others work fine too,
    although I haven't confirmed this with absolute certainty. It's also
    theoretically possible to use custom (and free) BIOS replacements,
    but I don't know of any publically availablone ones.

As far as I'm aware there are two BIOSes floating around, I doubt
    you'll get one that isn't one of those two. There's a very easy way
    to determine which one you have - just look at the very first byte in
    a hex editor. The correct BIOS begins with 0x18, the buggy BIOS begins
    with 0x14.
    2007-12-02 01:51 AM
    I like it. Just bring back the mute function. I think it just takes some getting used to with the controls over the screen, but overall I like it much better. I think it's great, don't change a thing, except to add mute function.
    2007-12-02 01:58 AM
    I love how far this app has come, but I wish there was a visual D-Pad, and although its v.1.0.0, theere is still a lot of room for improvement...
    2007-12-02 02:04 AM
    you guys talking ****
    with your oh i am not a fan ,or why cant i pick the view shut up and be happy you even have the chance to use it quit being so ungreatful

THANKS
    wow, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? He has a point i would like to play it in non-landscape mode too, opinins are what make things better and if this app had an option for either viewing mode and a mute button it would be so much better
    iLive an iLife
    2007-12-02 02:12 AM
    I think its awesome that this person has spent countless hours making this emulator, and its all done on HIS OWN TIME and for people he doesnt even know. Regardless of how its playing right now (which i feel is a big step up, with little refining) im happy with this!!!!

THANKS ALOT!!!!!
    2007-12-02 02:42 AM
    beautiful though I'm very surprised to see that mute, menu navigation, and a landscape option (even if it wasn't acceleromator controlled) were overlooked
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.
    2007-12-02 06:56 AM
    love the improvements but i agree with everyone else, we need mute!

also either mine loads incorrectly or there is no way to go back to the rom list, save, etc.

i have to shut down the program and reload it to go to another game (where'd the menu buttons go?)

love it, can't wait to see the kinks worked out though
    2007-12-02 07:39 AM
    ultra fun, ive hidden the controller image by renaming it.
    just use the force--i mean your gaming intuition.
    though a mute option would allow smoother gameplay

this app is kicking more and more *** as time goes on,
    doom for gba is slowly becoming more and more playable.

when this app is done, i dunno if ill have free time ever again.
    2007-12-02 11:53 AM
    And, if you don't want to hide the controller entirely, you can use this very dimmed version that provides just a hint of the controller -- easily ignored until you need to remember it's there. Overwrite the "controller_fs.png" file within the application with this modified one (attached to this post).
    Attached Thumbnails Gameboy Advanced 1.0.0 Launched!-controller_fs.png  
    Attached Files
    2007-12-02 04:11 PM
    you guys talking ****

THANKS
    Quiet little kid!! Do you have spelling and grammar homework you should be doing?

Run along now... I hear your momma calling you!
    2007-12-02 04:32 PM
    Let me just start off by saying thank you for this emulator that has grown from such limited playability to half-baked to now actually playable in such a short period of time. We are grateful for *any* GBA emulator for the Touch/Iphone even if it is missing features we want, and even if it doesn't perform flawlessly yet.

Now to weigh in on Version 1, I like the nice big landscape mode. And at least with the games I'm most interested in playing - Advance Wars, Doom, Super Mario etc. Performance is much better.

You see the most improvement when there is full screen animation taking place, when the entire screen is changing rather than a few objects. ie transitions in Advance Wars.

Sounds is less wonky during these slow downs, but it still stutters and starts.

As someone stated before. the on screen controls and fingers on the controls do get in the way of action in some games. Especially platform games like Mario Brothers where you start off at the bottom of the screen and work your way upwards. For this reason alone, it might be a good idea to have at least one other controller configuration / positioning or the ability to play in Portrait mode.

Again, great job on this. If this reaches a point where I can play even a third of my favorite old games an I'm playing it quite a bit, I will be right there donating as if I'm buying a product off the shelf.
    2007-12-02 11:00 PM
    I altered the controller image a bit more, a little opaque with some letters and arrows.
    2007-12-03 01:33 AM
    how are you suppost to exit the game during play? the only way I know how is to press the home button, but the sound of the game keeps playing until i reset my springbroad

how are you suppost to exit the game during play? the only way I know how is to press the home button, but the sound of the game keeps playing until i reset my springbroad
    nevermind. i just figure it out. duh. i needed to turn off allow suspend!
    Last edited by Dust Busta; 2007-12-03 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-12-03 07:24 AM
    you guys talking ****

THANKS
    wow, being talked down to by a 14 year old who is new to the boards. oh, how it upsets me....... haha

the devs typically read these boards... and people discuss ideas they have on here... therefore, the ideas get back to the devs and they keep developing. it's a never ending cycle that keeps improvements coming and the games/apps alive.

i've commented many times on how i appreciate their hard work. maybe if you'd look around the boards a little more, you'd realize this...

EDIT: after reading the other posts you've enlightened us with on these forums, i now take you even less seriously than before...
    Last edited by billchase2; 2007-12-04 at 02:51 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad
    2007-12-04 02:48 AM
43 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD