WHY even use Customize? Not to be a smarta$$ but what does Customize do that you can't do with WinterBoard?
    Customize lets you change system sounds. Of course customize doesn't work for chit on my phone... but MAN do I need a REAL alert sound for my email!!

If BossPrefs or Winterboard could add a plug-in to edit ALL system event sounds, AND if somebody could make Safari display flash & java, I just might fall more in love with this phone than I am with my girlfriend... or even my Ferrari!!!

BTW, what the hell is "Server Lock Example" ??
    2008-08-29 12:03 AM
    ^What kind of Ferrari you got?
    iLive an iLife
    2008-08-29 12:18 AM
    winterboard let's you change system sounds and has done for some time, there's even custom sounds on Cydia to download.

IphoneCrazy

I've got custom voice for recieved emails, there's a couple already available that I know of and probably more that I'm not aware of

Server lock example displays text straight from Sautiks server on lock screen, there's not a lot of point to it at the moment but it's being worked on.
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2008-08-29 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-29 12:31 AM
    WHY even use Customize? Not to be a smarta$$ but what does Customize do that you can't do with WinterBoard?

customize lets me preview parts of a theme to use...plus how do u pick witch theme to use in winterboard?
    2008-08-29 12:46 AM
    customize lets me preview parts of a theme to use...plus how do u pick witch theme to use in winterboard?
    me? I use WbApp of course.... the next update will feature ThemeSets so once you get your stuff all set the way you want it you can save it and then reload it at the touch of a button....

PS So does Cydia (preview that is), unlike the old (and perhaps new) Installer

Edit: For those keeping score, I'm pretty sure we have about 3 features WinterBoard does that Customize doesn't and 0 that Customize can do and WinterBoard doesn't
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2008-08-29 at 03:53 AM.
    2008-08-29 03:46 AM
    i wonder when winterboard will have a 5 dock option
    2008-08-29 08:40 AM
    WHY even use Customize?
    What some many not know about is when WinterBoard is loading themes the overall priority goes like this:

"/Library/Themes/themename.theme"
    "/Library/Themes/themename"
    "/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/themename"

So... if you have three themes named:
    CoolTheme.theme, CoolTheme (WinterBoard folder) and CoolTheme (SumemrBoard folder) the ONLY theme that will ever load is the CoolTheme.theme.

Thanks. I knew about the bundles, and indeed I am making already my WinterBoard themes even before restoring my custom firmware, but I had not realized this hierarchical priority.

To go back to Customize and Winterboard, there still may be a role for Customize. I haven't read anywhere that Winterboard can mod text strings like the ones you get when you have a phone call, or you unlock the screen, and so on. Maybe that's the one thing that makes Customize still useful. So, the question of the previous poster has still some validity. I read some posts claiming some form of incompatibility between WinterBoard and Customize. Is this confirmed or not? Anybody running both apps successfully?
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3
    2008-08-29 09:07 AM
    ^What kind of Ferrari you got?
    Red 348ts
    you've probably seen me blasting around town or blowing by you on the 95... I drive it alot!

winterboard let's you change system sounds and has done for some time, there's even custom sounds on Cydia to download.

IphoneCrazy

I've got custom voice for recieved emails, there's a couple already available that I know of and probably more that I'm not aware of
    Could you please elaborate on making this happen??
    I have been inside and out of Winterboard... there's no options, just a list of themes and goodies you can apply... nothing to edit system sounds.
    Is there a Winterboard "plug-in" app or something to do this? Please share!
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 2008-08-29 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-29 09:17 AM
    Could you please elaborate on making this happen??
    I have been inside and out of Winterboard... there's no options, just a list of themes and goodies you can apply... nothing to edit system sounds.
    Is there a Winterboard "plug-in" app or something to do this? Please share!
    You have to add it to your theme folder. In the theme folder you put a folder called system, in that folder you have library, in that folder you have audio, and in that folder you have the sounds. Off the top of my head I don't think that is the correct path to the sounds but you get the point. You have to manually do this, it's not all pretty like customize. But I don't get people's obsession with having to have everything done from the phone and only the phone anyway. They act like they are scared to use their computers.
    2008-08-29 10:03 AM
    But I don't get people's obsession with having to have everything done from the phone and only the phone anyway. They act like they are scared to use their computers.
    umm... its not a obsession, I work out in the field all day and need to get my emails. The html email feature is one of the top 3 reasons I got this iphone.
    The million other kickass things it does is just gravy!!
    The problem I have is, the little "blip" sound it makes when I get an email is inadequate, I cant hear it when the phone is in my holster on my hip.
    My calendar is loaded with stuff, and everything has an alert, not being able to HEAR the laim little "blip" alert really defeats the purpose!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY Apple said... "let's only let em customize the alert sounds for HALF of the stuff"... idiots.
    2008-08-29 06:28 PM
    umm... its not a obsession, I work out in the field all day and need to get my emails.
    I'm not talking about that. I was referring to the fact that most people want to be able to theme and change everything about the phone without ever connecting it to a computer. I told you that you would have to ssh a new sound into your phone to change the email sound, which most people would have replied to saying how can i do it without ssh.
    2008-08-29 10:06 PM
    Come to think of it, I think I'm having a similar issue. I did notice a general slow down in the phone's performance and increased crashing after applying a theme that changes that background depending on the time of day (I love the theme!). I don't know if it's winterboard, or just this theme, or neither and it's just 2.0.2 but the phone did seem to get a little slower on app opening and does crash apps more than ever, and I also thought it was some sort of memory issue. Maybe I should unapply the theme for a couple days and see if anything changes.
    Well, I couldn't take the crashing anymore so I decided to take off the theme I was using - the one I loved that changed the background depending on the time of day (it's called Time of Day). And, no more crashing! I don't think safari, etc has crashed one time since I removed the theme. And, they used to crash pretty much every time I used any app. So, something that particular theme does causes some major memory (or other) issues that results in tons of app crashing. I'll have to experiment with regular wallpaper themes and video backgrounds also to see if they have the same effect as the Time of Day theme. In the mean time, everyone beware of the apps that change your background for you!
    2008-09-01 06:22 AM
    Well, I couldn't take the crashing anymore so I decided to take off the theme I was using - the one I loved that changed the background depending on the time of day (it's called Time of Day). And, no more crashing! I don't think safari, etc has crashed one time since I removed the theme. And, they used to crash pretty much every time I used any app. So, something that particular theme does causes some major memory (or other) issues that results in tons of app crashing. I'll have to experiment with regular wallpaper themes and video backgrounds also to see if they have the same effect as the Time of Day theme. In the mean time, everyone beware of the apps that change your background for you!
    Do you still have winterboard installed? Safari crashes on me all the time with the fantasy theme on. (changes the background every 10 seconds or so) I want my crashing to stop! not sure if i have to uninstall winterboard or just the this theme
    2008-09-02 07:04 PM
    I experienced the same problem when I have a video theme installed I open the camera and the screen is split, or my iphone just reboots.
    2008-09-02 10:26 PM
    i wonder when winterboard will have a 5 dock option
    About 24 hours after you posted, apparently.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...ble-cydia.html
    2008-09-02 11:23 PM
    What's a good reference theme for someone new to Winterboard (but not Summerboard or Customize)? Where can I find it? Here or Cydia?

Thanks!!!

Edit...yeah, nevermind. KillSign themes will do for a template
    Last edited by LastSonOfKrypton; 2008-09-03 at 02:16 AM.
    2008-09-03 01:36 AM
    Do you still have winterboard installed? Safari crashes on me all the time with the fantasy theme on. (changes the background every 10 seconds or so) I want my crashing to stop! not sure if i have to uninstall winterboard or just the this theme
    Yeah, I still have winterboard installed and everything, I just stopped using that html background. I was using no background for a while, and that was working out awesome. The crashing subsided by at least 10x.

I'm now trying out static background and dock changes, which I suspect would be fine (unless maybe if the png file size is really big), but unfortunately I'm also trying out the weatherwidget, so if I end up having troubles I won't know which one it is right away. So far, it seems pretty good. I'm more worried about the weatherwidget causing increases crashes for the same reason that the html background did, but we'll see.
    2008-09-03 01:54 PM
    I'm loving this buuf2 but some how do I get more icon images? Do I have to download them from somewhere? I didn't see any on cydia. Do I need to add a source?

anyone help me with that? thanks.

(also I noticed, not sure if mentioned, they added a default theme that you can install into winterboard. apply it to give the default stock apple theme.)
    2008-09-04 07:53 AM
    i would just like to know how to do any of it i downloaded the winter board but when i go to it it has a list u can check all it says is black navigation bars,server lock example and a few others what do i do to use themes and such sorry im new to this
    2008-09-04 04:29 PM
    jimmy,
    Go into Cydia and look for the section Themes. Here you can see different Themes. (some are complete system themes, some are just different peices so you can make your own).
    Simply look at them, then install.
    Once installed they will show up in Winterboard.

To activate a theme all you need to do is open winterboard and place a check next to the theme you like. Press Home and the phone will reset (not restart. it'll take you back to the lock screen).

That's it.
    2008-09-04 04:38 PM
267 ... 311121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD