Awesome, great to hear that, King Chronic! Is it still going to be free? (I hope?)

I am thinking about forking over the $100 as well, but looks like I need to procure a Mac first
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!
    2008-03-07 03:19 AM
    I can safely say, if things do work out how they most probably will, or many devs will be screwed over, have big expectations for June. They have paid a lot of attention to opening up Preferences.app and published a LOT of documentation. Again, I can safely say that I will be able to work with a lot more freedom on this hack than what I was previously restrained to.

To answer your question, I am still pondering it. I will probably release a free version, and a pro version. If in June I still have the same mentality, then I'll only make the pro version around $2, maybe $5 if I can make it even better than I expected. Again, anything could change, and I may change my mind, but this is what will probably happen. Do not worry though, the free version will still be good, I would just like to make a little bit of modest side cash since I am not getting very many donations for this hack (might be because I only said I'm accepting them on my Google Code page since I didn't want to spam up this thread with it, I don't know). So until June, I will probably make small releases, but I doubt I'll have time to get past v0.6 for unofficial jailbroken phones before June when I release the legit v1.0 and v1.0 Pro, since working on it legit vs. jailbroken phones are quite different procedures. Anyway, again, anything is subject to change. I will be very busy on this and another secret project until June, so I'm sorry if I am a day or two late to answer support questions in this thread.

Thank you everyone for supporting this hack!

-Will Strafach
    2008-03-07 05:07 AM
    Not a problem. I'd be happy to plop down $5 for this app! Very useful, and I fully support our developers! I just don't want it to become one of those stupid commerical programs that are $20.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!
    2008-03-07 05:14 AM
    Oh, I would like to assure you, there is no way in hell I would do something like that. The only reason I would charge a small fee, which would not be more than $5 if even that, would be to (a) break even for the $99 membership fee and (b) encourage me to work harder so that I can make the app better. I'm going to set up a poll now in this board to see how much people would be willing to pay.

EDIT - Poll is up here:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54391
    Last edited by King Chronic; 2008-03-07 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-07 01:22 PM
    I think a lot of people developing for iPhone should look at free versions and maybe an upgrade version for $0.99 and here are a few reasons why:

1. There will be multiple developers that will make the same basic app, so there will be competition (You don't think developers at Apple aren't going to be building app's on their own time). Your app has already been built by at least one other developer already.

2. Will be different ways to accomplish the same thing. Look at catepillar with a vibration alert or audible alert for missed messages, sms, mail. Would make your app obsolete, because now I don't even need to hit home button to know if I have missed call, sms, mail.

3. Users are only going to have so much money to spend on app's and there will be a lot of app's available for June release. I might even suggest come out initial with a free version and then later on come out with upgrade and charge $0.99 for that version (Haven't we learned anything from Apple on how to market products - $0.99 itune downloads). Then consumer can have choice of free version or pay a little for upgrade.

4. If it cost too much someone else will build a similar app or better and charge less.

5. Look at the potential audience and look at what $0.99 on 5% of iPhone would mean as an income source.

I think there is going to be a lot of competition out there and that will drive prices down and usually first to market with best product wins. If I have decent app for free or one that cost money that is only a little better I would go with free. Once again look at Caterpillar trying to charge $45 for app's that for most part you have a comparable app for free. I'd be interested in seeing how much they have raised. I bet not much. That app isn't being talked about a whole lot on the forums, only too see if someone can develop pieces for free.

Just my opinions, but I think these are valid and need to be considered along with the "$" signs people are seeing before people get frustrated by not making the money they hope to.
    2008-03-07 02:05 PM
    I have just install the extended prefs manually, but when I restart the ipod, the settings menu just looks like the original. it looks nothing like the oine in the pictures in the first post.

please can somebody help?
    2008-03-07 03:51 PM
    Well, after looking over the poll results plus posts in both threads, I've come up with this:

FREE VERSION: Basic things, probably including everything that is in v0.4 and v0.5i. Free

PRO VERSION: Everything listed above plus much much more, especially focusing on customization of the user interface. $1.99

I would still appreciate replies to see if anyone is strongly against this and/or has good reasons to do this differently
    2008-03-07 09:37 PM
    My phone has suddenly gotten very unstable and I've decided to uninstall pretty much all 3rd party software (the only reason its hacked is so i could unlock it for T-Mobile). I'm having trouble uninstalling Extended Preferences using Installer, it's giving me the "Main script execution failed!" error.

BTW, I have 0.4.7 Beta

Anyone have any ideas?
    2008-03-07 10:20 PM
    it's googd for me,i'm waiting for free or pro version both.when d'u think u'll come up with the apps?
    2008-03-07 10:20 PM
    it's googd for me,i'm waiting for free or pro version both.when d'u think u'll come up with the apps?
    Unfortunately, they will not be public until June, which is the public release of firmware 2.0 and the App Store, which is where they will be installed from.
    2008-03-07 10:22 PM
    i saw that ext.pref.0.47 is not available in installer.did you remove from it? my phone crashed and i had to make a restore but without ext.pref. 'cose it make crash home/wake button and freeze the touchscreen.butni want this app.!!!!!
    2008-03-08 12:01 AM
    i installed the extended pref by copying the app through ssh, it doesnt run on my OTB1.1.2 (JB etc.). Then I re-copied back my original preferences.app (which I backed up) and doesnt work, nor the "stock pref" app that came in the zip with extended pref.

Anyone can help?
    2008-03-08 12:44 AM
    you have to replace preferences/app original,if i can,will post u soon
    2008-03-08 01:59 AM
    I believe you forgot to set the permissions. Try setting the permissions to 777 or 755 and see if that helps.
    2008-03-08 02:50 AM
    Anyone try it on a 1.1.4?
    2008-03-08 01:42 PM
    I believe you forgot to set the permissions. Try setting the permissions to 777 or 755 and see if that helps.
    yes, did that too, but no luck.

Cant update to 1.1.3 cos i cant set my auto-lock time to never (i cant sit there and touch my screen every 30 secs)
    so i restored bk to 1.1.2 and ziphoned it again

thanks for the advice though
    2008-03-08 04:05 PM
    its this one the same "advance prefs" from skylar?

thats no more avaible in installer
    i just want the option that i touch the battery or the wifi icon and it shows numbers
    do you know how can i make that? ty
    2008-03-08 09:34 PM
    i have a 1.1.4 and it crash continuosly man
    2008-03-08 11:30 PM
    Works fine so far on my 1.1.4 - History of my phone: Bought first release date... HW unlock to 1.02, then soft revirginize and upgrade/unlock to 1.1.1 and now software update to 1.1.4 and ziphone unlock.

No problems yet *cross fingers*, only thing that doesnt work is turning on secondary dock.
    2008-03-09 12:38 AM
    Seb the same for me,1.0.2 to verginize to 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 to 1.1.4.i had Cydia installed too,but i don't think it make crash ext.app.,or may be?now i''ll wait for the final version 0.51.bye
    2008-03-09 03:59 PM
314 ... 513141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD