anyone know how to theme this app? or if there are theme packs available?
    2008-11-18 10:14 PM
    Ahh. I actually have that turned off. I will turn it on and let your know.

On a side note: even though I have been wanting a landscape texting app, I find myself texting in portrait mode more. I think its because its easier to text with one hand that way.

Quickview takes you into the stock SMS app and not iRealSMS.
    ugh. all 3 of the SMS apps all don't work with intelliscreen officially. do you have iRealSMS set as your default app? i don't think it matters actually but lemme know anyways

peakas...the dev of mysms says he's working on intelliscreen integration but i wonder.....is it the SMS apps fault or intelliscreen's fault for not going to whichever sms app is set as default and just defaulting to the original iphone sms app

hmmmMMMmmMMmmmmm
    2008-11-18 10:20 PM
    ugh. all 3 of the SMS apps all don't work with intelliscreen officially. do you have iRealSMS set as your default app? i don't think it matters actually but lemme know anyways

peakas...the dev of mysms says he's working on intelliscreen integration but i wonder.....is it the SMS apps fault or intelliscreen's fault for not going to whichever sms app is set as default and just defaulting to the original iphone sms app

hmmmMMMmmMMmmmmm
    It is set as default. I like that feature now even though I never used it. I hope it can get fixed one way or another.
    2008-11-18 10:22 PM
    i know that IS was working with bite, so i'm pretty sure that it can be made to work with irealsms or mysms
    2008-11-18 10:26 PM
    It is set as default. I like that feature now even though I never used it. I hope it can get fixed one way or another.
    it is a fantastic feature. especially with its ability to mark txt msgs as read from the lock screen quick view screen.

like, there are some txt msg replies that are just like "k" which don't need a response. but without intelliscreen's quick view, you'd have to unlock > enter SMS then sleep again just to get the msg as read so it wont beep/vibrate again
    2008-11-18 10:40 PM
    Ok im fixin to rant about how much i hate the creators of this app, and why i usually never pay for my apps and from on with definitaly never pay a dime.

I purchased this app when they fixed a couple of the bugs and made it more stable, and found it useful. Then they released 2.0 so i upgraded since it looked even better however these JERKS want me to pay for it again. These MF are out of their mind if their going to charge for an upgrade their excuse after i emailed them was: we appreciated your payment from the previous version but lots of work has gone into these upgrades and would ask that you pay full price for the new features. F*** that i downgraded so quick and actually hope i find a cracked version of this app like intelliscreen.

Sorry to all other developers that charge for their apps, but will never pay again.
    2008-11-19 02:24 AM
    i feel your pain my man...i feel your pain.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2008-11-19 02:51 AM
    Here is the bad thing about iRealSMS. For those of us that bought it when it first came out and went through the updates to get the bugs out are now shut out from 2.0. I have to repurchase the program again - reason given is that it was a total rebuild. I would suggest you go to MySMS and purchase rather than this program. It is very buggy and their updates often screw up the phone more than before. Not being negative - the repurchase is a bad business decision for those of us that funded the 2.0 development from the 1.3 versions. But if their update history in 2.0 is the same as previous versions, there will be many issues.
    2008-11-19 03:52 AM
    Ok guys! We get it! You don't want to pay for an upgrade or any app that developers put hundreds of man hours into. Please move on!!

I am enjoying this app fully and using it every day, all day. They are on top of things and have already released 2.0.2 although I don't know what it addresses.
    2008-11-19 01:04 PM
    Ok guys! We get it! You don't want to pay for an upgrade or any app that developers put hundreds of man hours into. Please move on!!
    I did! Removed iRealSMS, voted with my $, & bought mySMS (and still less than the iRealSMS 'upgrade' fee). And from the history of upgrades so far on mySMS since it's release, not one upgrade fee, they seem to be very active on the MMi forums, and they publish release notes here.

Not all of the posts about iRealSMS are about not wanting to pay for it (and not respecting the man hours involved), it's about the method they've used to handle early adopters/buyers.....after setting an expectation for that group of users.

Who knows, that next upgrade from iRealSMS might be SURPRISE.....another upgrade fee.....
    2008-11-19 01:25 PM
    I did! Removed iRealSMS, voted with my $, & bought mySMS (and still less than the iRealSMS 'upgrade' fee). And from the history of upgrades so far on mySMS since it's release, not one upgrade fee, they seem to be very active on the MMi forums, and they publish release notes here.

Not all of the posts about iRealSMS are about not wanting to pay for it (and not respecting the man hours involved), it's about the method they've used to handle early adopters/buyers.....after setting an expectation for that group of users.

Who knows, that next upgrade from iRealSMS might be SURPRISE.....another upgrade fee.....
    No it won't. You see iRealSMS had many FREE updates on Cydia Before the big 2.0 update. The developers however feel like 2.0 was more of a new build to be considered an upgrade and felt they should charge more for the new app or charge what was left from the original price to equal the new price for updating customers.. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp. Maybe if people stopped crying about the $6.00 they had to pay for an upgrade and realize that it's not an upgrade, it's a new build there wouldn't be so many irealsms threads and posts about the same exact BS. I don't necessarily agree with the whole pay to upgrade thing either but at the same time I understand where the developer is coming from and why he feels this way. I paid the 6 dollars with very little thought and am extremely pleased with the outcome. The new app is MUCH more stable that MySMS (which I also paid for the full version to test out, and may I say I was NOT impressed) and has way more features than BiteSMS.)

I'm curious if all the people who are complaining about the pay money to upgrade thing complained like this when they had the iPhone 2G, and Apple made made a NEW BUILD of the same exact iPhone with a newer case and some new features and decided to make us pay an upgrade fee to upgrade to the newer one? Same concept morons.

Same way Apple gives free software updates on itunes for free, the devs of iRealSMS gave us updates on Cydia for free. Same way they charged us an upgrade fee to go from the iPhone 2G to the iphone 3G is the same way that the devs of iRealSMS is charging an upgrade for the new build of the software. What is so hard to understand about this?
    Last edited by Dizz; 2008-11-19 at 05:47 PM.
    2008-11-19 05:44 PM
    No it won't. You see iRealSMS had many FREE updates on Cydia Before the big 2.0 update. The developers however feel like 2.0 was more of a new build to be considered an upgrade and felt they should charge more for the new app or charge what was left from the original price to equal the new price for updating customers.. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp. Maybe if people stopped crying about the $6.00 they had to pay for an upgrade and realize that it's not an upgrade, it's a new build there wouldn't be so many irealsms threads and posts about the same exact BS. I don't necessarily agree with the whole pay to upgrade thing either but at the same time I understand where the developer is coming from and why he feels this way. I paid the 6 dollars with very little thought and am extremely pleased with the outcome. The new app is MUCH more stable that MySMS (which I also paid for the full version to test out, and may I say I was NOT impressed) and has way more features than BiteSMS.)

I'm curious if all the people who are complaining about the pay money to upgrade thing complained like this when they had the iPhone 2G, and Apple made made a NEW BUILD of the same exact iPhone with a newer case and some new features and decided to make us pay an upgrade fee to upgrade to the newer one? Same concept morons.

Same way Apple gives free software updates on itunes for free, the devs of iRealSMS gave us updates on Cydia for free. Same way they charged us an upgrade fee to go from the iPhone 2G to the iphone 3G is the same way that the devs of iRealSMS is charging an upgrade for the new build of the software. What is so hard to understand about this?
    A good point made, but one thing to point out in your iphone 2g to 3g upgrade example, how long did apple support the 2g iphone? Over a year? How long was iRealSMS 1.xx supported until? Most likely just two months. Big difference in my opinion.

In either case, I have found my SMS replacement and am quite happy with it. So I no longer care about the bickering going on with iRealSMS.
    2008-11-19 06:15 PM

This is not about a concept to 'grasp'. Read the majority of the 'against' posts, it's about the way the upgrade was handled AFTER an expectation was ALREADY set. What's so hard to understand about this concept, of not sticking to your word (especially for a business)? Do you not see this as a problem?

Wouldn't you cry serious foul if you were in a store, picked up an item that was priced at $21.99, and went to checkout and it was suddenly $29.99, and the clerk said, 'Oh, sorry, we've mislabeled it. Same concept to 'grasp'. It's about setting an expectation.

I'll agree to disagree....but, lastly....resorting to name calling on the 'for' side, just great. Shows the mentality on that side as well. Google 'David Hannum'.
    2008-11-19 06:21 PM
    is iRealSMS falsely advertised? what's with this screenshot over on their official website:

as far as i know, when replying to a text message in conversation mode, the keyboard and the composing window take up the whole screen and you can no longer see the conversation thread above. what gives? anyone ever get to a screen like this?

i really wish they could maintain the conversation bubbles while replying. the default sms app on the iPhone could do it, why can't iReal?
    2008-11-19 06:32 PM
    but, lastly....resorting to name calling on the 'for' side, just great. Shows the mentality on that side as well. Google 'David Hannum'.
    I was going to respond to you until I read that last part. Name calling? Jesus Christ man, you must be super sensitive and get your feelings hurt easily. Or perhaps you're female and are going through that "special time of the month" again. Either way, that's neither here nor there, it's the internet for God's sake. Relax. I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch over something that someone said on the internet.

If you read my whole post I too said I didn't agree with the pay to update thing either but I understand where the dev is coming from because the dev is saying 2.0 is more an upgrade than an update. Also I do not remember ever being promised that the 2.0 update would or would not be free. I remember it being said that updates in general would be free, but we where given many free updates up until 2.0 was releases and even this morning I had another free update for 2.0 which I installed this morning. Ready now, I'll try to explain this to you guys one more time..
    UPDATES ARE FREE. Always have been for iRealSMS, Always will be. However the developer doesn't feel that 2.0 is an update but is a completely new build. Therefore he's charging for an upgrade fee. Update, upgrade. Two different words with two different meanings. And before you go and so "Oh well the site says it's an update so you're wrong..", the developer is German. Doesn't speak perfect english. He probably used the word update because that's what the german to english translator gave him. He also makes it very clear that this is a new build and not just an update.

is iRealSMS falsely advertised? what's with this screenshot over on their official website:

as far as i know, when replying to a text message in conversation mode, the keyboard and the composing window take up the whole screen and you can no longer see the conversation thread above. what gives? anyone ever get to a screen like this?

i really wish they could maintain the conversation bubbles while replying. the default sms app on the iPhone could do it, why can't iReal?
    You can, that picture is accurate. It's a little weird though. when in landscape mode and in conversation mode the icon on the bottom right corner (little square with a pencil in it) is to write a new SMS. However when it is in portrait mode and in conversation mode the same icon is to reply (not write new) and it will still have the bubbles showing just like in that picture you just posted, try it and let me know if you get it. Maybe I should report this to the dev as a bug and he could get it working the same way on landscape..
    Last edited by Dizz; 2008-11-19 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-11-19 07:02 PM
    You can, that picture is accurate. It's a little weird though. when in landscape mode and in conversation mode the icon on the bottom right corner (little square with a pencil in it) is to write a new SMS. However when it is in portrait mode and in conversation mode the same icon is to reply (not write new) and it will still have the bubbles showing just like in that picture you just posted, try it and let me know if you get it. Maybe I should report this to the dev as a bug and he could get it working the same way on landscape..
    wow that is very odd. because you do indeed get that screen mode when you hit the compose new text msg button on the bottom right.

but if that's the case, why doesn't it go to that screen when you hit the reply button? also, the composing new text msg button isn't really composing a new text msg, it's replying since the contact is already entered in there for you. so basically, both the reply and the composing new text message buttons when viewing a conversation thread do the exact same thing, only when hitting reply, u don't get the conversation bubbles

also what's odd is, why is the little window bar for where you type your reply defaulted to be so large? it should be only 1 line and expand accordingly depending on how much you type like the original sms app

what's odder is, everything i mentioned above is for portrait mode. if you do the same thing while in landscape, the contact is not entered for you so when you hit the compose new msg button, it's really like composing a new msg...i guess how it should be. also, no conversation bubbles in landscape mode.
    2008-11-19 07:13 PM
    wow that is very odd. because you do indeed get that screen mode when you hit the compose new text msg button on the bottom right.

but if that's the case, why doesn't it go to that screen when you hit the reply button? also, the composing new text msg button isn't really composing a new text msg, it's replying since the contact is already entered in there for you. so basically, both the reply and the composing new text message buttons when viewing a conversation thread do the exact same thing, only when hitting reply, u don't get the conversation bubbles

also what's odd is, why is the little window bar for where you type your reply defaulted to be so large? it should be only 1 line and expand accordingly depending on how much you type like the original sms app

what's odder is, everything i mentioned above is for portrait mode. if you do the same thing while in landscape, the contact is not entered for you so when you hit the compose new msg button, it's really like composing a new msg...i guess how it should be. also, no conversation bubbles in landscape mode.
    Exactly. I just emailed the Dev as to report a bug/feature request.
    Here is what I wrote.

When in landscape and in conversation mode the icon on the bottom right corner (little square with a pencil in it) is to write a new SMS. However when it is in portrait and in conversation mode the same icon is to reply (not write new) and it will still have the conversation bubbles showing with the keypad ready for typing at the same time, which is AWESOME. Can you make it so that the same thing will occur in landscape mode with the conversation bubbles still showing AND the keypad ready for typing. Possibly have a smaller text input area to be able to fit both. This feature would BY FAR make this app greater than all over 3rd party sms app. Not that it isn't already of course. BiteSMS already has this feature with their landscape keyboard and it's the one thing that's keeping most people from switching from BiteSMS to iRealSMS. Just read the iRealSMS vs BiteSMS threads on modmyi.com and you'll see. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

I through in the whole bitesms thing to give him motivation to fix the problem in hopes to get more new customers so there would be a better chance of him adding this feature for us. You can email him too at [email protected] Maybe the more requests he gets for it the more likely he'll be to add it.
    2008-11-19 07:17 PM
    I was going to respond to you until I read that last part. Name calling? Jesus Christ man, you must be super sensitive and get your feelings hurt easily. Or perhaps you're female and are going through that "special time of the month" again. Either way, that's neither here nor there, it's the internet for God's sake. Relax. I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch over something that someone said on the internet.
    More insinuations and word semantics. Obviously the mirror reflects well if you felt so offended by the quote. Take your own advice.

I'll not respond anymore to the bickering, or debate, it's pointless. As it seems, with the difference of opinion, one side can't see the side of the other opinion.

And, lastly, FWIW, I was a happy paying customer of iRealSMS 1.x, and even touted it here and other forums, but not after the handling of update, or, upgrade, or whatever you want to call it.
    2008-11-19 07:26 PM
    Exactly. I just emailed the Dev as to report a bug/feature request.
    Here is what I wrote.

When in landscape and in conversation mode the icon on the bottom right corner (little square with a pencil in it) is to write a new SMS. However when it is in portrait and in conversation mode the same icon is to reply (not write new) and it will still have the conversation bubbles showing with the keypad ready for typing at the same time, which is AWESOME. Can you make it so that the same thing will occur in landscape mode with the conversation bubbles still showing AND the keypad ready for typing. Possibly have a smaller text input area to be able to fit both. This feature would BY FAR make this app greater than all over 3rd party sms app. Not that it isn't already of course. BiteSMS already has this feature with their landscape keyboard and it's the one thing that's keeping most people from switching from BiteSMS to iRealSMS. Just read the iRealSMS vs BiteSMS threads on modmyi.com and you'll see. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

I through in the whole bitesms thing to give him motivation to fix the problem in hopes to get more new customers so there would be a better chance of him adding this feature for us. You can email him too at [email protected] Maybe the more requests he gets for it the more likely he'll be to add it.
    nice work buddy.

but wait.....biteSMS allows you to see conversation bubbles in both portrait and landscape mode??? i thought it was just like iReal....no bubbles in both modes

also, have you ever emailed iReal's dev before? is he good and responsive?

i gotta say, MySMS's dev Peakas is FANTASTIC with user response, updates and customer support. he seems far more active than iReal and BiteSMS' devs. he release an update for MySMS the day it came out, then released another update 2 days ago (may have even been yesterday) and today there's been yet another update.

gotta give propz to peakas, he's working hard and listening to everyone's suggestions and recommendations. now if only he could make the darn thing run faster, not load the splash screens, and add conversation bubbles to both landscape and portrait typing, then we would be golden

that or iRealSMS dev do it....the race is on!
    2008-11-19 07:31 PM
    More insinuations and word semantics. Obviously the mirror reflects well if you felt so offended by the quote. Take your own advice.

I'll not respond anymore to the bickering, or debate, it's pointless. As it seems, with the difference of opinion, one side can't see the side of the other opinion.

And, lastly, FWIW, I was a happy paying customer of iRealSMS 1.x, and even touted it here and other forums, but not after the handling of update, or, upgrade, or whatever you want to call it.
    Frustrated by all the complaints of paying an upgrade fee... Maybe.Offended? Never.

Look man I understand where you're coming from as I too said that I don't agree with having to pay for an upgrade. I feel Windows XP users should get a free upgrade to Vista for example, but that's not gonna happen. However XP users still get free updates from Microsoft all the time. They have to pay however to upgrade to Vista. I don't agree with it, but I didn't argue with Bill Gates or decide to no longer buy Microsoft products just because of it. Do I agree with paying for the 2.0 upgrade? No. Plain and simple. But do I understand the devs standpoint. Yes I do. I did pay the extra 6 dollars to upgrade and I'm satisfied with the new product. Also I just wanted to put it out there that there's no hard feelings man, I'm not the creator of the software so I don't get anything out of this arguing back and forth. I'm just sick of seeing the "I don't wanna pay for an upgrade" posts everywhere.

nice work buddy.

but wait.....biteSMS allows you to see conversation bubbles in both portrait and landscape mode??? i thought it was just like iReal....no bubbles in both modes

also, have you ever emailed iReal's dev before? is he good and responsive?

i gotta say, MySMS's dev Peakas is FANTASTIC with user response, updates and customer support. he seems far more active than iReal and BiteSMS' devs. he release an update for MySMS the day it came out, then released another update 2 days ago (may have even been yesterday) and today there's been yet another update.

gotta give propz to peakas, he's working hard and listening to everyone's suggestions and recommendations. now if only he could make the darn thing run faster, not load the splash screens, and add conversation bubbles to both landscape and portrait typing, then we would be golden

that or iRealSMS dev do it....the race is on!
    Honestly I don't know if bitesms has that feature man. I think it does however. But I only through that into the email to light a fire under the devs butt to get up and add that feature.
    I've emailed him once before and he emailed me back the next day with a fix for a bug in irealsms and yesterday he released an update with the fix for the bug I reported so let's hope that he does the same with this new "bug" we are reporting.
    Last edited by Dizz; 2008-11-19 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-11-19 07:40 PM
178 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD