VNC is a standard used in the management information systems / IT world for years. On multiple platforms.

if this app evolves, i can set up many things away from the office, home, school (all of which run VNC servers)

for the home user (except for uber geeks like myself) your not going to find yourself controlling iTunes, or running bat files or apple scripts etc on VNC, So there is little reason for a person to use VNC to control devices, media players, scripts etc.

(edit) I guess what i failed to state is, VNC has become a standard (of many) (and a fairly inexpensive one) for remote access for multiple platforms, specifically connected to each other across platforms.

Telekenesis is cool, but my home workstation is NOT a mac (i should note though i strictly sync my iphone with my Macbook).

(another edit) I should i also note, this app doesn't work yet for me (LMAO, i know, hypocritical) just with my setup due to my 2 monitors and very large resolution and most likely other things i am just too lazy to figure out, fact is it doesn't work for me, and hopefully this will evolve. and thats the straight talk....

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc
    Last edited by GLOD!; 2007-09-18 at 10:44 PM.
    Dear iPhone 3.0.
    Please keep me from buying a Palm Pre.

Thanks,
    GLOD!
    2007-09-18 09:52 PM
    I have tested the app with ultravnc running on my windows laptop and it worked pretty well over wifi. Unfortunately it is pretty tough to scroll around the screen without accidentally clicking on something you didnt want to. I'm still waiting for a native terminal server (remote desktop) client as this is a far superior protocol at least for windows over slow connection (edge).
    2007-09-19 02:27 AM
    really? I thought that too, but then I read some other people's on the forums posts that said they did interaction.

Like the guy above me, tried to open steam,etc.
    Yea, interaction is completly do-able its just hard. I wasfumbing around for five minutes to start steam and all I managedto do wasdrag it around my screen.

In response to the usefullness of VNC, my opinion is if this app is perfected it would be very useful to do things like manage my personal webserver, start and quit dedicated servers, and msg my friends over xfire. Come to think of it an Xfire app would be awesome :P

Damn typing on my iPhone like this is hard.
    2007-09-19 09:20 AM
    Yea, interaction is completly do-able its just hard. I wasfumbing around for five minutes to start steam and all I managedto do wasdrag it around my screen.

In response to the usefullness of VNC, my opinion is if this app is perfected it would be very useful to do things like manage my personal webserver, start and quit dedicated servers, and msg my friends over xfire. Come to think of it an Xfire app would be awesome :P

Damn typing on my iPhone like this is hard.
    I think command line terminal would be much more suitable to run a server, without adding the load.
    Best Regards
    2007-09-19 04:13 PM
    can we get a guide to setting this up by chance? i downloaded tightvnc for my windows computer and vnsea for my iphone...having a hard time getting the 2 to connect...
    2007-09-19 09:27 PM
    can any one help me
    I am using a mac and I have the vnsea in my iPhone but I don't know what to do in my mac what do I have to do to set up my mac to access mycomputer from my phone

Help
    2007-09-19 09:44 PM
    Does anyone know how to scale down the screen? Anyone know what Display - 0 controls?
    2007-09-20 05:25 AM
    when i connet my screen on iphone just go black.. what is wrong?
    2007-09-26 01:28 AM
    Installed, works without any problems. If you need help setting it up, just PM me.

I'm already setting it up remotely so that I can use my home computer when I'm away from home.

Controls work fine, just tap to click, and 2-finger scroll to move around your screen. No keyboard support yet =/

I definitely look forward to a newer version. Amazing possibilities!
    Last edited by thegerry; 2007-10-18 at 09:00 AM.
    2007-10-18 08:58 AM
    Any idea when .5 is gonna be released?
    2007-10-26 03:40 AM
    Any idea when .5 is gonna be released?
    Yesterday.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.
    2007-11-06 04:26 AM
    Yesterday.
    Yea but for me it's practically unusable now.

Love the app, hate the way it handles panning. It's enough to drive me insane. I would much rather use normal touch to pan, just like most all other iPhone apps. Two fingers for zooming in and out.

The way it is now it's far too easy to send unintended mouse clicks/drags to the host PC. I actually sent an email accidentally due to it.

And I do not understand--in 0.5--exactly how to pan Vs. zoom. When I want to zoom, it pans. When I want to pan, it just goes nuts.

It's a shame that such a great app misses the boat on something as basic as panning and mouse control.

--
    Mike
    2007-11-08 07:17 PM

Love the app, hate the way it handles panning. It's enough to drive me insane. I would much rather use normal touch to pan, just like most all other iPhone apps. Two fingers for zooming in and out.

The way it is now it's far too easy to send unintended mouse clicks/drags to the host PC. I actually sent an email accidentally due to it.

And I do not understand--in 0.5--exactly how to pan Vs. zoom. When I want to zoom, it pans. When I want to pan, it just goes nuts.

It's a shame that such a great app misses the boat on something as basic as panning and mouse control.

--
    Mike
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Because it's working beautifully for me and I've been on this app since the first version. The latest introduces a ton of fixes that make it that much more useable...guess everyone's experiences (and expectations) may vary.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.
    2007-11-08 10:02 PM

--
    Mike
    I have the same problem. I can't keep two fingers close enough together to move the screen around without initiating the zoom effect.
    I'm clicking all over the screen and i'm not even trying. It's really poorly implemented.

If you change the preferences to "view only" you'll see how it should work. You don't need two fingers to move the screen in that mode.
    2007-11-09 03:16 AM
    lol really. Why don't you smoke a joint to help you keep your fingers steady or something because I dont have that problem as well. Its just keep your fingers somewhat equal distance from your hands initial state to its final state.
    2007-11-09 12:27 PM
    I have the same problem. I can't keep two fingers close enough together to move the screen around without initiating the zoom effect.
    I'm clicking all over the screen and i'm not even trying. It's really poorly implemented.

If you change the preferences to "view only" you'll see how it should work. You don't need two fingers to move the screen in that mode.
    Yea in view mode it works great. I would much rather it work that way all of the time.

I still maintain having the mouse "live" is poor implementation on a device as easy to touch as the iPhone.

I should note I am using it with TightVNC on a Windows box. Can't see what that would have to do with basic panning though.

FWIW I updated to 0.5.1 last night but it didn't help the panning issue.

--
    Mike
    2007-11-09 05:09 PM
    yes its very hard to scroll around.
    Maybe they should implement just like the delete a video function on the iphone's ipod video section. (You hold your finger on the screen then slide it to the right and then a delete option will show up)

They should make it so you hold down your finder and which ever way you slide it, it will scroll the screen in that direction.
    2007-11-09 07:19 PM
    I just decided to try and install, using Ultra VNC as someone stated earlier of using and it works like a charm. After playing with it for about 5 minutes I started understanding how to move around and drag and drop, etc (the basics basically of using a "mouse").

This will be so convenient for those moments that I am asked to repair a computer and when I forget a paticular file that I would have on my computer, I can now have the option of just enabling a ftp server on my PC through VNC and continue on my way! (or watch pron from work /giggle)
    2007-12-10 10:09 AM
    VNsea is realy impressive. But anybody has found the counterpart : a VNC server (like osxvnc) for iPhone ?

Doing so, it would enable us to visual remote control the iPhone... quite handy if you are developping an application for instance ;-)
    Or if you need to remote access your "unlimited account" without infriging your mobile operator contract, say ;-)

Rgs,
    TM
    2007-12-10 02:23 PM
    Hey Everyone..
    I have added code to allow double tap on the top statusbar to toggle between view mode and mouse control mode.

I've been playing around with it and it seems to solve alot of peoples complaints about moving around.

check for version .61 anyday now on Installer App..

thanks
    2007-12-10 04:37 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD