That's what I call a balanced report of an actual user. As I said, if the developers put a bit more thought into it in terms of usability, it might not be bad.

In thinking a bit more about it, I come back to what I consider the most awesome app on the iPhone, namely SBSettings. That is just such a smart way of combining functionality and themability (although I can think of improving that as well). But really. That is an app that does not get in the way of things. It's just pure functionality.

So taking that as a template plus the skills of the PP developers, they could hit a home run if they did one simple thing:

1. Swipe down anywhere on the screen and slide down a page similar to SBSettings with a fully themeable panel of categories

2. Each category is a spring jump to a page with the relevant apps.

That's really all that would be needed to stay compatible with existing themes. The user can easily arrange the pages/categories in iTunes. No incompatibilities, No sorting of apps into categories in preference panels. Add a nice animation to the drop-down panel and you're done.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2009-10-17 08:19 AM
    Guys, can I just say, I think you should take this arguement elsewhere.
    Your comments pose nothing constructive for the developers of this Application.
    You just continue to slate it and state how ugly and terrible it is, and how other things like catergories and stacks are so much better.
    Your just making the same points over and over again.
    Please try and be constructive.
    And Please, don't quote me and reply and call me an idiot and tell me to actaully read what you've said and all that, or call me a noob.
    I'm not looking for an arguement.
    2009-10-17 01:59 PM
    Actually I have a Palm Pre. I was just sent over here because of my communication skills.

I do have a day one iPhone that I use as a back up toy, but I put his app on my GFs phone and she likes it. I just now put it on mine, and I'll keep it and watch it develop into a kick *** UI.
    2009-10-17 02:09 PM
    I'm rockin it. and it's pretty tight. I don't really care about spotlight being gone I don't really use it.
    ...you CANNOT be serious!(J.McEnroe [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY]YouTube - John McEnroe - You Can Not Be Serious[/ame] ...spotlight is one of the best new things for the iphone..your whole(well almost)phone at your fingertips and you only have to type in a few letters to find what your looking for on your phone..I use it daily..of course I have it hooked-up with Uni-search and that really gives you ultimate search...good luck to all!....BTW..just used this moment in time and space to replay that infamous tennis clip from back in MY tennis fandays...
    2009-10-17 03:39 PM
    ...you cannot be serious!(j.mcenroe ...spotlight is one of the best new things for the iphone..your whole(well almost)phone at your fingertips and you only have to type in a few letters to find what your looking for on your phone..i use it daily..of course i have it hooked-up with uni-search and that really gives you ultimate search...good luck to all!....btw..just used this moment in time and space to replay that infamous tennis clip from back in my tennis fandays...
    i can be and ! Am....
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-17 04:06 PM
    Unbelievable. So the app removes Spotlight functionality? This is the first time I hear this. Do they tell people about being crippleware? Just like the above poster, Spotlight is such an important and useful feature for me and I'm sure others as well. To not even mention this either in the first post here or in Cydia borders on fraud. Can you imagine someone just bought this and find out later that their spotlight searches are unavailable. This is irresponsible marketing of a paid app that you can't even get a refund for when it cripples your iPhone.

Oh, and before anyone starts defending this by saying that they don't use Spotlight anyway so it's not a big deal, note that that's not my point. At the very least you tell customers who do use it and value it that the app disables it.
    Last edited by armadillo; 2009-10-17 at 06:52 PM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2009-10-17 06:44 PM
    Unbelievable. So the app removes Spotlight functionality? This is the first time I hear this. Do they tell people about being crippleware? Just like the above poster, Spotlight is such an important and useful feature for me and I'm sure others as well. To not even mention this either in the first post here or in Cydia borders on fraud. Can you imagine someone just bought this and find out later that their spotlight searches are unavailable. This is irresponsible marketing of a paid app that you can't even get a refund for when it cripples your iPhone.

Oh, and before anyone starts defending this by saying that they don't use Spotlight anyway so it's not a big deal, note that that's not my point. At the very least you tell customers who do use it and value it that the app disables it.
    Spotlight funtionality is due to be fixed in next weeks update according to the Dev's Twitter.
    2009-10-17 06:54 PM
    Again, that's not the point. If you tell people only about features, but not about loss of functionality, it's just dishonest. You can always say that in this version, Spotlight is not functional, but will be restored. But simply being silent about it is awful.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2009-10-17 07:25 PM
    Armadillo stop bashing the developers about something that obviously you have not personally tested. If you think the app should be different then go out and write your own but wait maybe you can't so just get off this thread.
    2 bucks for this app is nothing. Nobody is being ripped off here the devs are aware of the issues and are working on fixes. Apps take time time to be perfected that's why updates exist. And these devs have released one update that fixed some issues and promise more to come for the 2 bucks they charged. That is nothing for all the hours of work they have to put into this.

Just my 2 cents!! Now get off this thread and go make some more themes.
    2009-10-17 07:34 PM
    Armadillo I was on your side at first, but now ur taking it too far!

If you don't like this theme simply don't post about it and move on.

Thousands of other people love this theme, it's their choice, who are u to change their opinion.

Ps : I hate this theme, but I know how to keep my mouth shut and move on)
    2009-10-17 07:40 PM
    I agree with raptors
    2009-10-17 07:42 PM
    I agree also, move on
    2009-10-17 10:19 PM
    I am following your advice. I am really sorry I offended anyone by pointing out what I thought and still think is a misguided concept. I have learned my lesson that it's better to shut up than say something negative. It won't happen again.

For the one or two who may actually share my sentiments and think that the concept I proposed above is worth a consideration, check out Orbit. I just learned about it and it is pretty close to what I outlined above. If it gets the the swipe feature in the next version, it will be like SBSettings for pages and if it gets themes, it will truly be one of the most useful apps on the iPhone. It's all about choice and the best user experience. Who knows, maybe the PogoPlank development will converge on the concept... or offer better functionality and looks.
    Come visit AlohaSoft
    2009-10-17 11:46 PM
    yea orbit is pretty awesome
    2009-10-17 11:58 PM

yeah I 2nd the notion, I mean for a paid app at least put some kind of warning (like all others do, ex: in bold red letters, this app is 3.0 only) that installing this app will disable spotlight, that's all. But I'm guessing he feels this will hurt his sales?
    2009-10-18 07:14 PM
    I don't see how you people aren't using "spotbright" the app that allows hidden icons in springboard to show up in spotlight.

I use spotbright and spotlight as my exclusive launcher and I hide all my icons, because I don't see how going through 16 pages of icons or even clicking orbit and looking at 16 mini pages of icons is as fast as clicking the home button one time, and typing the first 2 letters of my app... This is why I use QuickSilver on my mac and why apps like the dock are inferior. Now I have a TON of games and I see pogo being really really useful to categorize all my games, so I can go through all my games in different categories.. alot of times I don't remember what games I even own (I know that sounds crazy) so it has some potential for that! When they fix the spotlight feature I will definetally buy it. also when they create a wheel of fortune style scroll (flick scrolling) for the wheel I will be happy.

I also would love (if the dev reads this) for the MIDDLE of the wheel to launch spotlight. that would be nice or to have the middle of the wheel be the "hotkey" for whatever you want... spotlight, camera, settings, hide the app, whatever you decide... etc.
    2009-10-20 07:12 AM
    Its not that great... I tried it and I lost all my apps (besides the default ones)... Weird.
    I say this is just a first step into this idea. (Lets say about TWO pogo planks! Yea!)

I don't use this theme, but I do have suggestions-

1. Add a second wheel, and move over apps if you want.
    2. Allow the user to move stuff around, create folders, rename folders, etc.
    3. Add colors, gray isnt so nice for a girl is it? (I know their are themes, but its a pain having to test, and try each and every one.)
    4. If you wish to stick with one wheel, then move it to the middle, why have have of it showing and half of it not showing at the same time?

These are just some nice suggestions for the theme, hope you could take note of them
    2009-10-20 11:45 AM
    Its not that great... I tried it and I lost all my apps (besides the default ones)... Weird.
    You have to go PPSettings-catergories, and place your apps in folders of your choice. You didn't loose your apps you just havn't placed them yet..Lol.
    2009-10-20 12:11 PM
    lol, like I said, I only used it for less than 5 mims... (Plus I never saw the directions xD)
    2009-10-20 12:52 PM
    I don't see how you people aren't using "spotbright" the app that allows hidden icons in springboard to show up in spotlight.

I use spotbright and spotlight as my exclusive launcher and I hide all my icons, because I don't see how going through 16 pages of icons or even clicking orbit and looking at 16 mini pages of icons is as fast as clicking the home button one time, and typing the first 2 letters of my app... This is why I use QuickSilver on my mac and why apps like the dock are inferior. Now I have a TON of games and I see pogo being really really useful to categorize all my games, so I can go through all my games in different categories.. alot of times I don't remember what games I even own (I know that sounds crazy) so it has some potential for that! When they fix the spotlight feature I will definetally buy it. also when they create a wheel of fortune style scroll (flick scrolling) for the wheel I will be happy.

I also would love (if the dev reads this) for the MIDDLE of the wheel to launch spotlight. that would be nice or to have the middle of the wheel be the "hotkey" for whatever you want... spotlight, camera, settings, hide the app, whatever you decide... etc.
    my spotlight shows my hidden icons when typing a few ltrs

heres some info on spotlight that some may not know....you can specify the order you want spotlight to search

http://searchengineland.com/iphones-...t-search-21357
    Last edited by yentrog31; 2009-10-20 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add info
    2009-10-20 02:19 PM
214 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD