Well its actually really simple...IF! you are willing to spend alot of money.

Well here it is...

There is a sprint blackberry phone that has a gsm sim card in it. (The 8830 Blackberry) If you bought this phone took out the sim card and put it in an unlocked iPhone it seems like it would work.

I may try and talk to sprint sometime tomorow if I can simply just buy a gsm sim card with no service on it and then when I have the money, by an unlocked iPhone and then activate the sim card and drop it in. Pretty straight forward right? I dont know guys let me know what you think of it. But it seems like it would work.

-Caleb
    2008-04-14 04:48 AM
    Wouldnt work, Verizon has the same phone with the same feature. Its for going overseas and thus, will not work on USA networks.
    2008-04-14 05:21 AM
    fail
    [CENTER] Honda-Tech FTW
    2008-04-14 05:22 AM
    CMDA sim will not work with gsm phone
     Think Different
    2008-04-14 05:52 AM
    CMDA sim will not work with gsm phone
    its not its a gsm sim card and i have been hearing it will i have been hearing it wont the only way is to try it out i guess
    2008-04-15 09:21 PM
    Unfortunately I suspect you're looking at this problem from the wrong way around:

CDMA, iDen and their various evolutions (the technologies deployed by Sprint and Verizon Wireless) use communications methods that are mathematically, physically and electronically incompatible with those employed by GSM. Additionally, to the best of my knowledge they have no equivalent of a physical SIM like GSM does.

Technology capable of using the same physical hardware for both [GSM and CDMA] is still mostly in the research stage, and affordable only in low-use base stations for service providers and in military hardware at this point.

What a hardware manufacturer can do is to incorporate what are effectively two phones into one small package - and that's what RIM has done with this particular Blackberry. The SIM slot in it is in no way different from any other GSM SIM slot. It's probably empty when you buy it, allowing you (if you travel) to put in the SIM of a GSM provider in another country.

There's also a small chance that it may have a SIM in it that says Sprint, but this SIM wouldn't allow the GSM hardware to suddenly start using CDMA networks - instead it's there to give you coverage in other countries that Sprint can charge lots and lots of money for - and likely lies dormant within the US.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
    2008-04-18 12:29 AM
    Well its actually really simple...IF! you are willing to spend alot of money.

Well here it is...

There is a sprint blackberry phone that has a gsm sim card in it. (The 8830 Blackberry) If you bought this phone took out the sim card and put it in an unlocked iPhone it seems like it would work.

I may try and talk to sprint sometime tomorow if I can simply just buy a gsm sim card with no service on it and then when I have the money, by an unlocked iPhone and then activate the sim card and drop it in. Pretty straight forward right? I dont know guys let me know what you think of it. But it seems like it would work.

-Caleb
    Just curious? Where do people get there info from? SPRINT uses CDMA....not gsm. Just because they use a sim card doesn't mean its GSM. Nextel uses sim cards before sprint bought them out...doesn't mean they are on the GSM network. They use iDen network. If you wanna buy the blackberry just for the sim card....GO FOR IT!!! thats money you just wasted not me...lol.
    If you like what I said....Hit thanks
    If you don't like what I said....Hit thanks anyways
    2008-04-18 01:45 AM
    2008-04-21 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD