hey i just figured out something which is real crap.
    i have my iphone since september and im with vodafone ireland not contract but pay as you go and when i have no credit im able to surf the web off my home wifi but i just put credit in2 it today and when i was surfing it took credit off me.
    should this be happening as when i have my chip removed i can surf.
    is there anyway around this?
    2007-12-04 11:30 PM
    The hell are you talking about? Try making some sense first, by properly structuring a sentence.
    2007-12-05 12:23 AM
    am asking a question ya twat whats up your h***

i was saying(do i need to type slow for you so you can understand)is that im on pay as you go and topped up with credit today and its all gone from surfing the net with my iphone thru my own home wifi and i can do this even when i dont have credit so how is this possible and can i do anything about it.

now was that ok did you grasp my message?
    Last edited by coiledserpent; 2007-12-05 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-12-05 12:36 AM
    Are you sure you didn't disable wifi in services or something?
    2007-12-05 12:57 AM
    maybe it connected through edge instead of wifi, not sure but seems the only way you shold be getting charged
    2007-12-05 01:00 AM
    no i didnt disable wifi as i would not be able to connect to the net otherwise and we do not have edge here in ireland
    2007-12-05 01:30 AM
    Your home wifi has NOTHING to do with your cellular carrier unless your cellular provider is also your wifi provider. Any idiot with the basic grasp of networking should know that . So if you have no edge service there, how the hell did you get charged on your account? Are you sure the payment got posted to your account? Here's a better idea: Call your cellular provider and ask them what's going on.

But you know that, right?
    2007-12-05 01:35 AM
    If you're getting charged for the data usage then you're DEFINITELY not connecting through wifi. What the American users on this forum were suggesting is true, we don't have EDGE but we do have GPRS (&3G), so you are definitely connecting through GPRS (on the Vodafone APN). I've never used an iphone, so I'm not sure how to help you, but it sounds like your handset might be set to connect through EDGE/GPRS by default, but then chose Wifi when that's unavailable (i.e. when you're out of credit)
    2007-12-05 09:15 AM
    thanks i will.im gonna ring them 2day and and see what they say about the whole thing
    2007-12-05 09:40 AM
    We have EDGE here in Ireland. Just check EDGE settings, if you did set up them, download Services from Installer and switch EDGE(GPRS) OFF. If you using Wi-Fi from home router, you can NOT be charged for surfing net from Vodafone. I'll just check it and let you know.
    Just checked and confirm that Vodafone Ireland (Ready2Go) is working fine with settings
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Just check your settings if they are set up then is not a big surprise that you loosing your money, as almost every native application on iPhone trying to access net :-)
    Just update weather on my 5 cities and 50 cents has gone from my account :-)
    And sometimes if you even have enough credit to start surfing and then when you out of credit but did not stop surfing Vodafone will credit you, and as soon as you top up your account this debt AUTOMATICALY will be taken out. So beware of that !
    Last edited by metca; 2007-12-05 at 12:26 PM.
    2007-12-05 12:03 PM
    If you use the live.vodafone.ie apn you can get their "Mobile Internet", i.e. it's capped at 99c per day.
    2007-12-06 10:23 AM
    I am using China Mobile and the same thing happened to me. I do not have anything set for the APN and using services have edge turned off, yet 150rmb credit gone in 2 days. IS the phone automatically finding gprs and using it??
    2007-12-12 10:27 AM
    It could very well be. I'd say the best bet might be to call your operator and ask them, they should be able to tell you how the credit was used!
    2007-12-13 10:16 AM
    I'm on vodafone pay as you go, and although I've not experienced the exact issue you have, I do find I go through my credit a lot faster on my iphone than I have on any previous mobile phone I've owned... it can only be GPRS sucking up the credit...
    2007-12-14 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD