Hello everyone,

I have a questions regarding iPhone + Rogers Wireless: Mobile Internet Plan.

I am currently using:

Communicate Value Packs $20
    • Voicemail
      Call Display
      Name Display
      WhoCalled
      2,500 Sent Text Messages
      1,000 Sent Picture/Video Messages
      $5 navigate Mobile Internet Plan

I need to know when I connect to my wifi connection at home is it free of use? or am I being charged for using my own wifi connection?

Thank you for your time and assistance everyone
    2007-12-06 02:00 PM
    Connecting to your home network (wireless router) is a free for all. You are only charged for Edge. The only time you are charged Data for WiFi is if you are connecting to a commercial server. How will you know its commercial?

1. It's a Hotspot (located at cafes, malls, pubs, etc)
    2. When you connect, you're automatically sent to a webpage asking you to sign in.
    3. You're asked for credit card info.

PS: WiFi data transfer does not appear on your Settings -> Usage value.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2007-12-06 02:03 PM
    Ah thank you so much for replying so fast Eurisko! You clear up my fear of my first iPhone bill from Rogers.

I was scared to see a $500+ bill (as I have heard of ppl going far beyond that i.e $1000.00+!).

Off-Topic: I am also wondering since you work for Rogers, do you happen to have a 1.1.1 firmware Iphone and upgraded it to 1.1.2 firmware?

Just wondering how many people within Canada have done that so far, I am still on 1.1.1 and for odd reason. I am scared to upgrade the firmware

Once again, thank you for your help Eurisko!
    2007-12-06 02:26 PM
    Ah thank you so much for replying so fast Eurisko! You clear up my fear of my first iPhone bill from Rogers.

I was scared to see a $500+ bill (as I have heard of ppl going far beyond that i.e $1000.00+!).

Off-Topic: I am also wondering since you work for Rogers, do you happen to have a 1.1.1 firmware Iphone and upgraded it to 1.1.2 firmware?

Just wondering how many people within Canada have done that so far, I am still on 1.1.1 and for odd reason. I am scared to upgrade the firmware

Once again, thank you for your help Eurisko!
    I am in Edmonton, on Rogers and have upgraded firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 without a hitch. The first tries to 1.1.1 were a little frustrating as I learned things, but the upgrade to 1.1.2 was smooth going.

Just did what the guides said and voila.
    2007-12-06 02:34 PM
    Ah sweet! That's good news to my ears!

Do you have you can link me to the guide that you used to upgrade your firmware to 1.1.2 please?

Thank you for your help Hyperextension
    2007-12-06 02:39 PM
    Actually, I started off with a 1.0 iPhone, but am now at 1.1.2 without any issues. Going from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 is a breeze. Simlpy make sure to install OKtoPrep from the installer.app and then UPDATE (not Restore) to 1.1.2

If you unlocked with IPSF your unlock will carry through the upgrade. If you unlocked with AnySIM, I believe (but don't quote me) that AnySIM 1.2.2u will unlock 1.1.2 FW. Maybe someone can clarify that.
    2007-12-06 03:32 PM
    Ah sweet! That's good news to my ears!

Do you have you can link me to the guide that you used to upgrade your firmware to 1.1.2 please?

Thank you for your help Hyperextension
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...light=oktoprep
    2007-12-06 04:18 PM
    Hmm. Thanks for the link.

But I am already stuck at the Step 1. I install the Mobile Terminal, and after I type in "launchctl remove com.apple.CommCenter
    bbupdater -v"

nothing happens? I don't Understand what am I doing wrong :/
    2007-12-06 08:45 PM
    Hi there! I also started with firmware 1.1.1 and upgraded to 1.1.2 without a hitch. I followed a different site for instructions though. Maybe it will work for you... try this link

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/112/iph...k_windows.html
    Smile!!!
    Version 1.1.2 Updated
    Sim Unlocked
    2007-12-07 01:30 AM
    Does upgrading to 1.1.2 delete all my songs/videos/contacts and 3rd party programs that I've already installed?
    2007-12-07 06:47 AM
    Thanks for the link guys, and help you have given me. I've figure it out and now I have 1.1.2 firmware on my iphone.

Thanks so much everyone

Matt: All my songs, videos, contacts and a few if my apps were still there after upgrading to 1.1.2 firmware. I had to install several more apps afterwards. No biggie.

Hope this helps
    2007-12-07 12:02 PM
    Does upgrading to 1.1.2 delete all my songs/videos/contacts and 3rd party programs that I've already installed?
    Doing the Update (not restore) will leave everything intact. However, since your springboard plist will be overwritten during the update, your third party programs will be "invisible". That is, they will still be on your iPhone, they will just not be seen by Springboard.
    2007-12-07 02:08 PM
    I wouldn't recommend the lower data packages such as the $20.00 Communicate Value Pack which only covers 5 MB of browser usage. The reason being is that the iPhone uses a full HTML web browser unlike regular cellphones which typically use a WAP browser. My last month invoice showed I used just over 18 MB and I have a friend that used just over 500 MB. So my recommendation is to consider calling Data Customer Care and ask to add the $65.00 1 GB (1024 MB) data package. It requires a 3 year term commitment which includes a data ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) but it's better than getting a $2000.00 or higher data charge on your invoice.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB
    2007-12-08 05:39 AM
    you can call rogers and get them to add this plan
    http://your.rogers.com/Business/Wire...emailplans.asp
    at the vary bottom $65 for 1gig/month i average about 500-700mb a month just browsing the net reading forums/emails/facebook.
    2007-12-10 06:58 PM
    ok! i need you clearify this question again, eurisko!

many ppl were telling me i will get charged or i wont get charged on my bill for internet usage. i called in rogers today and asked:

1. if i connected to my home wifi (or even friend's wifi connection), will i be charge for internet usage (youtube, msn messenger, surfing, etc..) ?

eurisko says: no! only commiercial hot spots (i.e starbucks)

rogers lady said: thats only if my phone is wifi-capable (of course it is, its a iphone. but i didn't tell them that).

so my question is:

since i am using iphone, and using my home wifi-connection. am i being charged for each k/b i use at home correct? (also places with free-wifi usages like apple, acc (found one there), etc..).
    Last edited by fld; 2007-12-17 at 09:00 PM.
    2007-12-17 08:57 PM
    so my question is:

since i am using iphone, and using my home wifi-connection. am i being charged for each k/b i use at home correct? (also places with free-wifi usages like apple, acc (found one there), etc..).
    Your Wifi connection is free and clear. And as long as you're never asked to log into an account when you're out and about (Apple store) that would be free too. I had read somewhere around hear that someone had said you're changed 1 cent per KB even on WiFi, however I've never seen any evidence of this.

Important reminder; one of the things the iPhone will do automatically if it loses a WiFi connection is to automatically drop to EDGE, without notifying you. So if you keep your Edge on all the time, make sure when you're at home you have the little WiFi symbol and not the little E.
    2007-12-17 09:05 PM
    ah ok, thanks you so much for clearing this out for me eurisko.

one last question. i am kinda unsure about this but, if i were to cancel or not have the internet usage plan at all. i should be still be able to connect to my wifi-connection at home with my iphone correct?
    2007-12-17 10:32 PM
    Hey...
    Just to add to this.
    Watch out for data ROAMING charges. I had no idea I was also going to be charged extra for data usage when out of my calling area (Vancouver). I monitor my EDGE data usage very closely to ensure I stay within my 5MB. Well...turns out that I used pretty much my entire monthly alotment of 5MB outside of my calling area. The extra $300 on my phone bill was not a welcome sight for my eyes.

And as another side note...I have Wi-Fi at home, and I use my iPhone all the time on the Wi-Fi. I have never been charged extra for this.

I've found it to be as simple as this: If you see the "E" Edge icon, you are paying for data...if you see the WiFi bar image...it's free!
    2007-12-17 10:56 PM
    ok! i need you clearify this question again, eurisko!

many ppl were telling me i will get charged or i wont get charged on my bill for internet usage. i called in rogers today and asked:

1. if i connected to my home wifi (or even friend's wifi connection), will i be charge for internet usage (youtube, msn messenger, surfing, etc..) ?

eurisko says: no! only commiercial hot spots (i.e starbucks)

rogers lady said: thats only if my phone is wifi-capable (of course it is, its a iphone. but i didn't tell them that).

so my question is:

The ONLY time you will be billed by your service provider is when you use THEIR Service....Meaning...If you are using EDGE/GPRS to surf, mail, etc...If you are on a free Wifi (i.e. Home Router) and it shows that you are CONNECTED via WiFi. You are NOT getting charged. When connected to WIFI, Rogers cannot see your internet usage because you are not using their network (aka EDGE) for internet, mail, etc...

If you see the symbol of the boxed "E" then you ARE on EDGE/GPRS and being billed...

In all honesty, if you are THAT concerned...why even bother using EDGE at all? I would rather wait that extra 30mins or whatever to conenct to a free Wifi source to do mail checks and surf, etc...I currently have my edge settings cleared just so it doesn't "magically" start using it... :P If I need internet/mail, etc that bad and need to use Edge, I manually put it in, connect, do what I need to do and then clear my EDGE settings and reboot the phone....This GUARANTEES that I do not get billed any extra KBs...

Another tip: Make sure your MAIL settings (if enabled) is set to MANUAL. Cause if it is set to automatic and you have your EDGE settings inputted, it WILL use EDGE to check for mail as to whatever time it has been set to check for mail...
    Last edited by Sony311; 2007-12-19 at 08:11 PM.
    1.1.2FW w/ 4.02.13_G Baseband. Rock Solid!
    2007-12-19 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD