Where the EDGE icon is supposed to be?
    2008-07-23 08:44 PM
    Never seen that one sweety
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-07-23 08:46 PM
    I've noticed that also, can't figure it out
    2008-07-23 08:48 PM
    I think it means the edge network is "busy". On previous firmwares instead of the "dot" the E would just completely go away and you'd see a solid blue box for a few seconds.
    2008-07-23 08:57 PM
    i have had both.... even on my first gen running 2.0 I get the blank blue box occasionally.

now my phone just gets stuck in stand by. i cant use it until it is rebooted. i put it asleep and when i try and wake it NOTHIN......
    2008-07-23 09:02 PM
    It means the phone is connected via GPRS - I guess you have spotty EDGE/3G coverage.
    2008-07-23 09:03 PM
    how can i have EDGE / 3G coverage with a 1st gen iphone???
    2008-07-23 09:10 PM
    I don't know what you're using spencer, regardless ALL iPhones receive EDGE. If the phone can't connect via EDGE or WiFi or whatever then it reverts to the slower GPRS.
    2008-07-23 09:12 PM
    I'm getting the same thing here in Boston. I think that at&t maybe having some data issues and some of our blackberries are reverting to GPRS as well. Hopefully it's just temporary.
    2008-07-23 09:19 PM
    ive only seen the solid blue box, not this one. Maybe it is a carrier specific thing.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone
    2008-07-28 01:50 AM
    AT&T seems to be adding 3G towers daily. Over the last week I've noticed my 3G reception skyrocket from 1-2 bars where I normally am to 3-4 bars outdoors where I expect to get reception. At work I get 5 bars outside now when I used to get 2. I haven't hit GPRS-only just yet but I'm in Los Angeles so the coverage density for EDGE is pretty good.
    A new GPRS icon is nice though, the blank blue square previously was sorta, I dunno, lacking?
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.
    2008-07-28 06:46 AM
    @spamduster I have noticed this as well in nj and blackberries too.. You will lose service for a little and then it'll come back a few mins later. Maybe too much data for att to handle?
    2008-07-28 06:51 AM
    I had the dot with the blue box... It was there for half a day or so but it went away. On somewhat of a different topic. Beside my service provider where the Edge symbol should be is now blank with nothing there. I recently updated to 2.0 using Pwnage Tool and learned that the update would enable me to automatic connection to Data. I called Fido to see if I was being charged, and they said they have yet to notice anything. So I had fun with free data for a few days on the newly updated 2.0 and found a package with cydia that changed the Edge symbol to a 3G symbol. I also went to www.unlockit.co.nz or something to change my VPN, andthen I deleted it and reinstalled it. It's a program that would block my data usage or enable it.

Well can someone help me and detect which of these could have led to the missing Edge Symbol and possibly free data service?

-Could it have been my call into the Fido CSR when I asked if I was being charged for data?
    -Could it have been the VPN changer?
    - Or could it have been when I downloaded the 3G symbol and deleted?
    Last edited by RelleR; 2008-07-30 at 04:19 PM. Reason: wobbly pops
    2008-07-30 04:14 PM
    i got that before to. and im also with rogers
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008
    2008-07-31 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.