User Tag List

Hi, Im wondering if its possible to jailbreak my iphone 3gs running 4.0.1. I have read it is possible, I tried with sn0wbreeze 1.8 beta and got not a valid ipsw, I tried with redsn0w 9.5b-5 and got unrecognized ipsw.. Not sure what Im doing wrong, I have used both the office ipsw I had from upgrading as well as numerous ipsws i downloading.. nothing worked.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    2010-07-23 03:15 AM
    Hi, Im wondering if its possible to jailbreak my iphone 3gs running 4.0.1. I have read it is possible, I tried with sn0wbreeze 1.8 beta and got not a valid ipsw, I tried with redsn0w 9.5b-5 and got unrecognized ipsw.. Not sure what Im doing wrong, I have used both the office ipsw I had from upgrading as well as numerous ipsws i downloading.. nothing worked.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Unless your iPhone 3GS is already jailbroken, you won't be able to jailbreak it on iOS 4.0.1.

Rules for jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS:

1. Must have the old bootrom (iboot-359.3). If you have iboot-359.3.2 or higher your won't be able to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS.
    2. Must already be jailbroken in order to restore a custom firmware. iTunes will only accept a custom firmware from an iPhone 3GS that was previously jailbroken by either Redsn0w, Purplera1n, Blackra1n, or PwnageTool. You can not restore a custom firmware by the Spirit jailbreak.
    3. Must have SHSH blobs on file with Cydia. This is necessary for restoring any firmware that Apple has stopped signing. Whenever Apple releases a new firmware for the iPhone 3GS, they stop signing the previous firmwares.

• Redsn0w (v0.8) can only jailbreak an iPhone 3GS that has firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1 installed. If your 3GS has its SHSH blobs for 3.0 or 3.0.1 on file with Cydia, you can downgrade to firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1 and jailbreak it using Redsn0w.
    • Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 can jailbreak the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G.
    • PwnageTool can jailbreak an iPhone 3GS as long as rules 1 + 2 + 3 are met.

Dev-Team Blog
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-23 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown
    2010-07-23 08:13 AM
    Unless your iPhone 3GS is already jailbroken, you won't be able to jailbreak it on iOS 4.0.1.

1. Must have the old bootrom (iboot-359.3). If you have iboot-359.3.2 or higher your won't be able to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS.
    2. Must already be jailbroken in order to restore a custom firmware. iTunes will only accept a custom firmware from an iPhone 3GS that was previously jailbroken by either Redsn0w, Purplera1n, Blackra1n, or PwnageTool. You can not restore a custom firmware by the Spirit jailbreak.
    3. Must have SHSH blobs on file with Cydia. This is necessary for restoring any firmware that Apple has stopped signing. Whenever Apple releases a new firmware for the iPhone 3GS, they stop signing the previous firmwares.

• Redsn0w (v0.8) can only jailbreak an iPhone 3GS that has firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1 installed. If your 3GS has its SHSH blobs for 3.0 or 3.0.1 on file with Cydia, you can downgrade to firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1 and jailbreak it using Redsn0w.

Dev-Team Blog
    when you say "already jailbroken" do you mean still on 3.13

i was jailbroken on 3.13 with spirit but got that white screen of death and had to restore to 4.01, am i considered already jailbroken...or am i just plain out of luck?
    Last edited by BitchI'llKillYa; 2010-07-26 at 12:26 AM.
    2010-07-26 12:18 AM
    RedDawg .. that was long winded and did not even answer the poor guys question.

If you read it again, he was asking (and I'm asking the same question here) .. out of sn0wbreeze, redsn0w and PwnageTool (and thats without modifications to PwnageTool) .. which one of these will JailBreak 4.0.1 for the iPhone 3G(s) ???

He states that using ANY one of these applications will NOT recognize the 4.0.1 firmware, each application comes back with "Invalid IPSW" .. so again, WHAT program out there will allow you to create a "Custom" 4.0.1 firmware ??
    2010-07-27 12:50 AM
    Only PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze can jailbreak the iPhone 3GS, providing that your 3GS is already on the jailbreak train (already jailbroken). The Spirit jailbreak does not allow a custom firmware created by either PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze to be restored in iTunes. There is currently no way to go from 3.1.3 jailbroken by Spirit to jailbroken on iOS 4.x. This is why he got the white screen of death.

So, in VirtualDevl case, unless Cydia has the SHSH blobs for firmware 3.1.2 on file, he won't be able to jailbreak his 3GS on iOS 4.x until Comex or MuscleNerd release new jailbreak tools.

If Cydia has VirtualDevl SHSH blobs for firmware 3.1.2, then he can downgrade his firmware to 3.1.2 and jailbreak it using Blackra1n. Once jailbroken again, VirtualDevl could use either PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware for iOS 4 and restore it using iTunes.

FYI: Redsn0w is not designed to jailbreak the 3GS. It is designed to jailbreak the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G.

I have only seen "Invalid IPSW" occur when trying to jailbreak firmware 4.0.1 using RedSn0w because it was never updated to jailbreak 4.0.1. The only way you can jailbreak an iPhone 3G or Touch 2G on firmware 4.0.1 using Redsn0w is by selecting firmware 4.0, not 4.0.1.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-27 at 07:31 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown
    2010-07-27 07:22 AM
    The Spirit jailbreak does not allow a custom firmware created by either PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze to be restored in iTunes. There is currently no way to go from 3.1.3 jailbroken by Spirit to jailbroken on iOS 4.x.
    This is only true when referring to official tools! I took a 3.1.3 to 4.0 using spirit2pwn and then snowbreeze up to 4.0. Worked a treat.

As far as I understand it spirit2pwn uses copyright material which means no dev is prepared to take credit. It works so I wasn't complaining.

If he only has 3.1.3 SHSH on file he could still recover it by downgrading to that.

LordGeek, I could be wrong, but I don't think the guy was asking about what creates a custom firmware as he states he is already running 4.0.1. He needs to jailbreak now by downgrading. The answer to your question would be that pwnagetool is updated to create 4.0.1 custom firmwares though.

when you say "already jailbroken" do you mean still on 3.13

i was jailbroken on 3.13 with spirit but got that white screen of death and had to restore to 4.01, am i considered already jailbroken...or am i just plain out of luck?
    You are going to be out of luck for a while unfortunately since you are now on stock firmware 4.0.1 - I don't think you'll be waiting long.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-07-28 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-28 12:59 PM
    Westonben .. I read the posting correctly .. Yes, his iphone is already running 4.0.1 and wants to jailbreak "that" version of the firmware. Problem he is having, and as I stated above .. there is NO program out there that will create a jailbroken custom firmware of 4.0.1. When running sn0wbreeze 1.7 or 1.8beta, Redsn0w 9.5b-5 or even the PwnageTool 4.01 .. these current versions out there for NOT recognize the latest 4.0.1 firmware to be able to create a custom ipsw.

I'm currently running iOS 4 that has been jailbroken with sn0wbreeze and unlocked with Ultrasn0w, I'm having no issues .. although the most amusing thing is, Cydia right now shows that they have my SHSH blobs for 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1 !! Yet, to this date, I have never installed 4.0.1 on my 3Gs because there is NO jailbreak out there for it !!!!

Now do you see where the questions are going ?
    2010-07-28 07:31 PM
    SHSH files are saved automatically as they are available for signing from apple. I was on 3.0 for a long time and had 3.0,3.1,3.1.2,3.1.2,3.1.3 SHSH files stored while still on 3.0.

The only way the OP can jailbreak is if he can downgrade to 3.1.x, jailbreak, then use a custom firmware to get back to 4.0.x jailbroken. To do this he must have his 3.1.x SHSH files stored.
    2010-07-28 07:39 PM
    You are a bit agressive unnecessarily. You are also misinformed, simtech has explained SHSH and here is a guide if anyone wanted to upgrade to 4.0.1.
    Jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 with PwnageTool Bundles [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

No use to the OP though as everyone has already advised he needs to downgrade first then jailbreak. Or wait for the new tool to jailbreak stock 4.0.1, which sounds like it will be soon.
    2010-07-28 07:52 PM
    SHSH files are saved automatically as they are available for signing from apple. I was on 3.0 for a long time and had 3.0,3.1,3.1.2,3.1.2,3.1.3 SHSH files stored while still on 3.0.

The only way the OP can jailbreak is if he can downgrade to 3.1.x, jailbreak, then use a custom firmware to get back to 4.0.x jailbroken. To do this he must have his 3.1.x SHSH files stored.
    Got it .. thanks

You are a bit agressive unnecessarily. You are also misinformed, simtech has explained SHSH and here is a guide if anyone wanted to upgrade to 4.0.1.
    Jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 with PwnageTool Bundles [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

No use to the OP though as everyone has already advised he needs to downgrade first then jailbreak. Or wait for the new tool to jailbreak stock 4.0.1, which sounds like it will be soon.
    I wasn't trying to be aggressive in the postings .. it was more of just getting frustrated that when someone asks a simple question, they get a long winded history of jailbreaking when finally, you answered the question that was being asked "Or wait for the new tool to jailbreak stock 4.0.1, which sounds like it will be soon." .. that was the answer that was needed .. there is nothing out there that will jailbreak the stock 4.0.1 firmware. So why can't people just say that without the history !!! LOL

I did try that Pwnagetool 4.0.1 with the Bundle .. however, I don't have a Mac and my access is running it with Oracle VM VirtualBox has been successful to the point of downloading everything I needed, but being honest here, I'm not that bright when it comes to the Mac OS .. still to this day, I can access the file contents of the Pwnagetool, navigate to the location of where the Bundle needs to go, but for some reason, it will not allow me to add the file to the package !!!

I have screwed around with the rights of the file, folder, complete system .. spent a good 2 days screwing around with this to get absolutely nowhere , so, jailbreaking 4.0.1 that way, I gave up on.

Will wait for an official app release that will take care of the stock 4.0.1 (thats if one comes out before 4.1 is released).
    2010-07-28 08:23 PM
    Hi LordGeek. I am new here and new to jb/unlocking. I have many questions and I am hoping you or other jb-ing pros can help me. My dad recently gave me his iPhone and the specs are listed below.

iPhone 3Gs
    version: 3.1.2
    model: MB
    firmware: 5.11.07

1) I noticed when I open Cydia they asked me for my SHSH files and I agreed. How do I know which version they saved? Where do I go to Cydia to find it?
    - You said you were "...on 3.0 for a long time and had 3.0,3.1,3.1.2,3.1.2,3.1.3 SHSH files stored while still on 3.0."

2) I've been reading the threads and a lot of people mention "bootrom". Where can I go to find what bootrom version I have? Why is the bootrom important?

3) Can I MMS with the iPhone 3Gs with the 3.1.2 version? I have T-Mobile.

------------------------------------------
    I also have another iPhone but it is not working. My aunt did something and it is not functioning so she gave it to me and I want to get that working. It cannot detect wifi and it cannot read my T-mobile sim card. It always says "no service". I've tried resetting the network settings and it is not working. Do I need to restore and rejailbreak? Can you give me some links or help me on what to do to repair this problem? The specs are below.

iPhone 3G
    version: 4.0.1
    model: MB
    firmware: 5.13.04

Thank you so much for the help. I know it's a lot of questions and any advice is greatly appreciated.
    2010-07-31 10:32 PM

Dev-Team Blog
    My iPhone 3Gs crashed on me when I tried to reset my network settings after installing sinfulrepo. Now that iTunes made me update to 4.0.1 and restore. I cant jb it. I wasn't able to save my SHSH files to Cydia. Before it crashed I was on 3.1.2os and now I am stuck on the emergency call screen? Am I out of luck? Is there any way for me to jb and unlock this phone? It says I need to activate my phone with a valid sim card and I am with AT&T. I am very hesistant to take to the store and cough up $200 to have it fix, but if I do that would I be able to unlock it? Can someone please help me or give me some ideas on what to do? Thanks!
    2010-08-03 06:32 AM
    My iPhone 3Gs crashed on me when I tried to reset my network settings after installing sinfulrepo. Now that iTunes made me update to 4.0.1 and restore. I cant jb it. I wasn't able to save my SHSH files to Cydia. Before it crashed I was on 3.1.2os and now I am stuck on the emergency call screen? Am I out of luck? Is there any way for me to jb and unlock this phone? It says I need to activate my phone with a valid sim card and I am with AT&T. I am very hesistant to take to the store and cough up $200 to have it fix, but if I do that would I be able to unlock it? Can someone please help me or give me some ideas on what to do? Thanks!
    Comex released his jailbreak for iOS 4.0.1 for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Just doing the following:

1. Restore iOS 4.0.1 firmware from Apple in iTunes.
    2. Setup your iPhone as a "new phone", not from backup.
    3. Use your AT&T SIM or borrow a friend's AT&T SIM and activate your iPhone 3GS in iTunes.
    4. Once activated, open Safari and go to jailbreakme.com on your device.
    5. Launch Cydia and accept its offer to update. This should fix MMS and FaceTime issues.

For those needing a carrier unlock, install ultrasn0w in Cydia on your iPhone3G, iPhone3GS or iPhone 4.

Warning: When Apple releases iOS 4.1, do not update and do not update your version of iTunes without checking with the Dev-team's blog or Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com. Comex is using a userland jailbreak to jailbreak iOS 4.0.1, so future versions of iTunes will break his jailbreak exploit.

I was able to activate my iPhone 3GS using an inactive AT&T SIM. Check your version of iTunes. I am using iTunes 9.2.1.4.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-08-04 at 09:31 AM.
    2010-08-04 09:22 AM
    Comex released his jailbreak for iOS 4.0.1 for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Just doing the following:

1. Restore iOS 4.0.1 firmware from Apple in iTunes.
    2. Setup your iPhone as a "new phone", not from backup.
    3. Use your AT&T SIM or borrow a friend's AT&T SIM and activate your iPhone 3GS in iTunes.
    4. Once activated, open Safari and go to jailbreakme.com on your device.
    5. Launch Cydia and accept its offer to update. This should fix MMS and FaceTime issues.

For those needing a carrier unlock, install ultrasn0w in Cydia on your iPhone3G, iPhone3GS or iPhone 4.

Warning: When Apple releases iOS 4.1, do not update and do not update your version of iTunes without checking with the Dev-team's blog or Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com. Comex is using a userland jailbreak to jailbreak iOS 4.0.1, so future versions of iTunes will break his jailbreak exploit.

I was able to activate my iPhone 3GS using an inactive AT&T SIM. Check your version of iTunes. I am using iTunes 9.2.1.4.
    Thanks so much! It has helped me out a lot! I was wondering so the next update iTunes will most likely restore and revert the phone to a locked phone and jailbreakme.com will unable to jailbreak until a new release is out? So just stay put and don't do any updates until the dev-team releases it?

Thanks again for your help. You are a life saver
    2010-08-04 03:08 PM

Dev-Team Blog
    Please help I'm a 3gs user who update to 4.0.1. I'm stuck in the emergency call only. Not a legit sim user. Please advise on how to jailbreak 4.0.1. Thanks so much.

For those of you who want to know your bootrom if its new or old here is the method.
    Method 1

Put into DFU mode, robotic instructions here, lol.
    On your computer... Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager
    Find "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller", subitem Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    Right click, choose Properties, go to Details, select
    Device Instance Path from the dropdown box. The end of this info string will tell you the bootrom version, e.g. iBoot-359.3.2

iBoot-359.3.2 is the NEW BOOTROM
    iBoot-359.3 is the OLD BOOTROM

Method 2

Install usbview link here
    Put the iPhone 3GS in DFU Mode
    Run the Application usbview
    Check if you find:

iBoot-359.3.2 - then its the new bootrom
    iBoot-359.3 - is the old one

Take note: if you can’t find the anything about iBoot inside the string, then that means you haven’t got into the DFU mode
    Last edited by rich76; 2010-08-08 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-08 04:16 PM

Restore iOS 4.0.1 firmware from Apple in iTunes.
    Setup your iPhone as a "new phone", not from backup.
    Use your AT&T SIM or borrow a friend's AT&T SIM and activate your iPhone 3GS in iTunes.
    Once activated, open Safari and go to jailbreakme.com on your device.
    Launch Cydia and accept its offer to update. This should fix MMS and FaceTime issues.

Does this mean that I will lose my address book/calendar/apps, etc when I set it up as a new phone? I don't want to lose all that!

I have a refurbed 3GS 32GB jb with Spirit, unlocked with ultrasn0w at 3.1.3, old boot rom (does any of this matter?)

Any help appreciated before I take the plunge to iOS4.
    2010-08-10 09:29 PM
    Does this mean that I will lose my address book/calendar/apps, etc when I set it up as a new phone? I don't want to lose all that!

I have a refurbed 3GS 32GB jb with Spirit, unlocked with ultrasn0w at 3.1.3, old boot rom (does any of this matter?)

Any help appreciated before I take the plunge to iOS4.
    No you won't lose anything, but make sure you first sync your iPhone 3GS with your computer before restoring iOS 4.0.1 and jailbreaking using Comex method (jailbreakme.com).

After restoring iOS 4.0.1, activating your iPhone and setting up your 3GS as a new phone, just re-select your contacts, apps, music, ringtones, calendar, mail and then re-sync. All your information will be back on your 3GS with the exception of safari bookmarks. If you have data in certain applications that you want to preserve, then you would need to "restore from backup" in iTunes.
    2010-08-12 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD