I'm currently on a 1.1.2 (OTB) jailbroken and activated - I'm thinking about using pwnage to update to 1.1.4 (seems the safest method).

Obviously, I need to do a full restore of the firmware to get 1.1.4 - but what data will I lose? My contacts are synced with Address Book, so they are backed up - is there a way to backup SMS messages, notes, and photos etc?

Basically, I want to make sure my sms' etc are backed up before doing anything!
    2008-04-08 03:45 PM
    Do sms exist on the sim? I was told they do not... bt that was the agent at the ATT store and he seemed to actually know very little.
    2008-04-08 06:56 PM
    Do sms exist on the sim? I was told they do not... bt that was the agent at the ATT store and he seemed to actually know very little.
    They're stored in an sqlite database, not the sim.

I know that you can sync with iTunes before you restore and when you reconnect the iPhone iTunes will ask you if this is a new iPhone or if you want to restore a backup - however, I think I read that you have to set up as a new phone to get pwnage to work? And I don't even know if that iTunes backup even does sms?

Can anyone clear that up?
    2008-04-08 08:07 PM
    itunes syncs calendar, contacts, music, videos and photos. when you back up your iphone via itunes it backs up everything, including notes, sms, settings, bookmarks, etc, but it is never recommended that you restore from a backup once you jailbreak your phone as your old/previous settings may create problems in the newly jailbroken phone. you can try if you want to. i've only read one person having success so far.
    2008-04-08 10:31 PM
    but it is never recommended that you restore from a backup once you jailbreak your phone as your old/previous settings may create problems in the newly jailbroken phone. you can try if you want to. i've only read one person having success so far.
    Just giving it a bash now - updated to 1.1.4, pwned then restored backup from iTunes, just letting music sync back now from iTunes. Before i started synchronising, my contacts etc were all there - so hopefully it's been successful: we'll soon see!
    2008-04-08 11:35 PM
    that sounds just a little strange since once you pwned and restored with custom firmware nothing should be in your phone. Did you create a custom firmware and restore with that? Either way good luck!
    2008-04-09 12:42 AM
    that sounds just a little strange since once you pwned and restored with custom firmware nothing should be in your phone. Did you create a custom firmware and restore with that? Either way good luck!
    What I meant was, after restoring from backup my contacts were there - but obviously iTunes doesnt store your music library in the backup so it had to be sync'd later.

The restore worked and my phone seems to be working. For some reason, the sound dropped out after a couple of hours so I had to reset all the settings - it's working now.

Google Maps locate me doesn't work - anyone know why? Navizon works though...
    2008-04-09 02:36 PM
    i'm not sure about Google Maps locate me. I remember way back when 4.6BL first got unlocked that due to baseband issues that only 3.9BL was able to upgrade to 1.1.3's Baseband in order for the locate me function to work.

that may not be it though as there's another thread from yesterday where two brothers, both in the UK region and both unlocked with ZiPhone (3.9BL) and one's locate me works while the other doesn't. they do have different service providers
    2008-04-09 03:08 PM
    Yeah, it's weird - I wish there was a definitive answer for this.
    2008-04-09 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD