I'm hearing alot of buzz about this PWNED and WinPWN and such, I looked it up and this is all I found.

What is “Pwning"?

Pwning in relation to this tool is a process that patches the official Apple Bootloader in the iPhone and iPod touch allowing you to circumvent code signing checks so that custom firmware can be run on the iPhone or iPhone touch.
    This doesn't explain much, Basically I wanna know, in english, what does it do and why would it be of any importance?

Also is it worth it for me to do it, and what advantages come from it?
    2008-06-05 04:47 PM
    Pwnage is the only tool for creating a custom firmware.
    It unlocks/jailbreaks/activates you iPhone before you restore it and can change your boot image and restore image. It also allows you to add applications and fixes before you restore. It holds alot of potential, and will be a huge part of iPhone development from now on.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP
    2008-06-05 05:14 PM
    thanks, I've been wondering about it for a while, from what I've read it didn't sound much different then liberty or the such...
    Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)

2008-06-05 06:48 PM
    Yeah, thanks for sharing that clears it up a bit.

One last thing would you consider it nessecairy or benifitial to do it now ? or to wait till it pick up some more?
    2008-06-05 09:32 PM
    PWNAGE is a bit safer than other methods but in the end doesn't give you any additional functionality. iLiberty is still the most versatile and easiest one click does all program out there. With pwnage you have to pwn your phone.. then create a custom firmware... if you include apps you can't go over 30MB due to space constraints.. then you have to actually create the custom firmware and restore AGAIN to that. WHEW! yeah... iLiberty
    2008-06-05 09:39 PM
    I prefer iLiberty, but WinPwn does work just as good
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone
    2008-06-05 09:42 PM